Painful Encounters

Eowyn’s POV

            It was silent in Saphira’s chamber until I heard Legolas let out a scream of pain. I burst through the doors just as he fell to his feet sobbing into his hands. He didn’t even look up or acknowledge my presence as I laid my hand on his shoulder before carrasing Saphira’s now ice cold skin gently.

            “I’m so sorry Legolas, I am truly sorry.” I stuttered out before walking away from him. I paused at the door and looked back at him. “If I had known that she was going to save me I would have stopped her…” I trailed off and stiffled a sob before pulling open the door and walking out; but Legolas called me back.

            “Eowyn!” he called softly and I paused in midstep to look back at him. He stood beside Saphria’s body staring down at her with such affection that it broke my heart to see him like that.

            “Yes Legolas?” I couldn’t help but brace myself for the anger and blame that was sure to follow, but he just turned towards me with grief-stricken eyes.

            “Did she suffer much?” he said it so sadly that I almost collapsed in a fit of tears again. I didn’t know, I just know that she died…in my arms with his name on her lips. The memory flashed through my mind and I shivered and held back a loud sob before answering him.

            “I…I don’t know.” I started truthfully, “but I…I held her in my arms when she…when she left.” I started to tear up again and I had to rush the last part before I broke down, “she started to say your name and then…” I couldn’t finish and I ran from the room and down the corridor to my room. I slammed the door behind me and cast myself onto the bed weeping heartbroken tears.

            Legolas’s POV

            I stared down at Saphira’s cold lifeless body before squeezing my eyes shut in pain. She had caputured my heart and now she destroyed it in an instant. I need not know how she died, I just know that she went too soon; I had never gotten to hear her voice one last time. How I longed for her to speak to me, to watch my every move with her chocolate filled eyes.

“Maiaron i Oiosaila, Manan elye etevanne, Nórie i malanelye? Ilfirin nairelma ullume nucuvalme. Nauva i nauva." [Wisest of all Maiar, what drove you to leave that which you loved? Yet we will cast all away rather that submit. What should be shall be.]

I wept freely as I uttered the same words to her that we the fellowship had listened to the Elves of Lorien sing about Gandalf when we all believed he had fallen prey to the darkness. But this time, the pain was nearly unbearable and I bowed my head before reaching out my hand and closing her sightless eyes.

“One last time Saphira.” I murmured and then I planted a goodbye kiss on her lips for the last time before turning and walking away. I had to let her live on in my memory, in my heart. I closed the door behind me and whispered, “Gi melin. Always.” [I love you. Always.] and then I walked away down the hall.

Third Person’s POV

Legolas left and the whole room was filled with his last words of goodbye to Saphira. The power that radiated from them filled the crystal structures and the power of his emotions rode on a wave into Saphira’s lifeless body. Then all was still.

The room was once again cold and silent, but then, the smallest of smiles appeared on Saphira’s face. And then her eyes opened.

Legolas’s POV

I was led out of the castle and mountain at a quick rate. The wolves flanking me had removed the shackles that bound my wrists and my neck but they still nipped at my cuts to keep me moving away from their kingdom. I heard the queen’s voice echo through my head as I was roughly shoved out of the mountain and into Arod who whinnied terrified. I barely mounted before he took off, tearing through the forest at top speed away from the kingdom of the white wolves. I could never come back, and if I told anyone of where they were they would come after me and make me watch as they tore apart my kingdom soul by soul.