Saphira's Reflex

As he spoke he fell to his knees in front of me and held his head in his hands. My mouth fell open in shock as I watched him lay at my feet defeated. Legolas Greenleaf the prince of Mirkwood had feelings for me?! Since when was this? I couldn’t comprehend anything anymore, not before my first battle! I felt tears of confusion and panic rise in my eyes and I clutched at my head and I turned away from Legolas’s form in an attempt to block out everything.

I wailed in pain as I stumbled away and I grasped my hands around the nearest thing near me to keep my balance that happened to be a stall door. I couldn’t see straight anymore and it was if something was being shoved into my stomach forcefully and very quickly. I blinked my eyes a couple times trying to clear my vision, and I finally got a glimpse of Legolas picking himself off the ground and watching me with wide eyes.

“Stay away from me!” I yelled, trying to move away from him but he caught me before I could get two steps away from him. I collapsed gasping into his arms and he held me up like I weighed nothing to him.

“Geese your light Saphira.” He muttered mostly to himself but that didn’t stop me from giving him a glare.

“I’m fine. Let me go, I can walk on my own you know.” The pain had become a dull ache now and I quickly shoved off of him and stood by myself. I almost wanted to run right back into his arms though, they were warm and comforting; they were like home to me. But of course I knew I shouldn’t and couldn’t think those things so I brushed everything off and stalked away. It pained me to walk away from him, I wanted so bad to embrace him and hug him until I fell asleep in his arms but I knew that there were more important matters at hand.

Legolas’s POV

I watched as she raced away as fast as she could. I wanted so bad to chase after her but someone grabbed my shoulder and roughly spun me around.

“Haldir! What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with your militia?” I asked startled from his sudden appearance.

Haldir shrugged nonchalantly and tilted his head in the direction that Saphira had disappeared too. I followed his gaze and saw through everyone with my elf eyes before spotting her. She was climbing up to join the King and her Nazgul who was perched beside the king. I watched and the King patted the Nazgul’s neck before exchanging words with Saphira. My eyes landed on Saphira last but they lingered on her for the longest time just taking in her appearance from top to bottom. The way her hair fell out of her ponytail and the way her armor showed off all her perfections…she was amazing and yet I had a hard time talking to her and telling her how I feel.

“I saw everything from the battlements. I think you really should try harder to get to her Legolas.” Haldir stated seriously and I raised my eyebrows at him.

“I’ve been trying Haldir, ever since we first met I’ve tried to get to know her better but she just disappears too often and appears around too rare. She’s like a spirit, she can’t stay in one place longer than she has too.” I sighed and ran my hands through my hair frustrated. I felt very flustered and I didn’t want to watch her hurt herself in the battle. The orcs roars of rage grew louder from over the walls and men and elves alike were wearing stony faces as they lined up.

Haldir let out a strong sigh before turning too me. “You really have no idea who she is Legolas. I don’t expect you to know…you were very young when this happened.” I looked at him curiously.

“What do you mean? She’s older than me? How can that be; she looks younger than me…plus she is half human! She can’t have lived long and come across as beautiful as a newly bloomed blossom!”

Haldir once again chuckled and shook his head. “She might be half human but her elven side is very dominant. That is no ordinary hybrid Legolas, if I recall clearly enough, she is the heir of…” he trailed off as a shower of orc arrows shot from over the side of the wall and landed all around us. I dove out of the way and ducked under an overhang. There was no time to converse right now; the mêlée of Helm’s Deep had begun.

When the rain of arrows had ceased I dashed out of my hiding spot and up to the walls where the elves were shooting round after round of arrows at the orcs. Aragon ordered them from behind, speaking in elvish to them and reassuring them that they were going to get through this. I retook my spot next to Gimli, who eyed me curiously before swinging his axe wildly in front of him. I followed his eyes and I saw orcs raising ladders to climb the walls! Gimli was cutting the ropes that held the ladders together and I began to shoot round after round of arrows at orcs pulling the ladders up. Many orcs had been felled already but I really don’t think it made any difference because they were replaced with many more orcs. I groaned as I reached back and my quiver was nearly empty. I left my spot on the fortress walls and made my way down to grab any arrows I could find just as the orcs began to storm over the walls and into the city.

Saphira’s POV

I battled many orcs as I fought to get to the battlements. They were all ugly and I grimaced as my sword began to look more like a dark evil weapon than an elvish blade. Stupid orc blood, even their blood was as black as their souls. I swung my blade around crazily and beheaded a couple of orcs on my first swing. I didn’t even need to draw my bow; it was too enclosed of a space to shoot anything.

From what I could see with my sight I spotted orcs climbing over our walls with huge ladders and they were overwhelming the archers. I saw elves on the wall fighting and my breath caught in my throat. This was one of the only times I had seen more than on elf in one place…it was very interesting. But I didn’t let it distract me and I continued to fight and twist around the horrid creatures. I saved a couple men and boys too, they were all cornered and I just swung on by to kill the uruk hai before continuing on to the fortifications. By the time I reached the walls orc blood and filth was all over the floor and it was very slippery. My boots had a hard time staying on track as I made my way across the sides killing and saving as I went. Many orcs fled from my sword and dagger but some stopped to try and bring me down, but I was too fast for them. Clumsy little idiots. My breaths were light and steady as I cut, slashed, and parried with whoever challenged me.

I whirled around and raised my blade just as a particularly ugly orc advanced on me. Our swords clashed together and I was driven to my knees as I fought to regain my balance. I struggled and I felt my feet slipping against the blood stained rocks and I felt myself being driven up against the sides of the wall and almost off the side. I let out a yell of anger and shoved him off of me with as much force as I could muster, and he stumbled away, momentarily stunned. I took a deep breath and then my eyes widened.

An elf with light blonde hair was fighting beside me…and he looked really familiar. His eyes were almost the same as Legolas’s but his face was rounder and he had more age on him. I could have sworn I knew that face before from my youth…it couldn’t be!

“Haldir!” I gasped before the orc rammed me from the side and I went over the side of the wall.

Haldir’s POV

Where did she go!? I panicked and I fought harder against the orc I was fighting so I could see her. I raced over to the side of the wall, and my eyes finally spotted her, hanging dangerously close to an orc filled ladder. Her hands were slipping and her eyes were wide and fear shown in them against the light of the battle.

“Take my hand!” I shouted, reaching out as far as I could. She tried to grip my hand but her hand slipped further and she was now dangling with only one hand on the side of the wall. I stretched further and I held out my hand as far as it could go.

“Come on Saphira! Reach up…come on cousin!”

            Saphira’s POV

            I tried desperately to reach up to grab my cousin’s hand. Haldir was my last living cousin that I still remembered from when I was younger. He had been the first one to teach me how to use a sword and bow. I squeezed my eyes closed and brief memories resurfaced and with the last of my strength I threw my free hand upwards and our two hands collided and he gripped me before yanking me up and over the wall back onto solid ground.

            Time slowed down as he hauled me up and we looked at each other for the longest time. His face was the same from what I remembered, and his eyes sparkled with relief and I just stared at his face…until I looked behind him.

            “Watch out!” I screamed and threw him out of the way before the blade could enter his body. His face morphed into a face full of fear as he fell out of the way, and his mouth formed my name before I was driven back away from him with the twisted blade meant for him driven deep into my stomach.