Back To Battle

Legolas’s POV

I was led out of the castle and mountain at a quick rate. The wolves flanking me had removed the shackles that bound my wrists and my neck but they still nipped at my cuts to keep me moving away from their kingdom. I heard the queen’s voice echo through my head as I was roughly shoved out of the mountain and into Arod who whinnied terrified. I barely mounted before he took off, tearing through the forest at top speed away from the kingdom of the white wolves. I could never come back, and if I told anyone of where they were they would come after me and make me watch as they tore apart my kingdom soul by soul.

“Never lay a hand or eye on my people or my heir’s again.” She [the queen] had warned before I was banished, and I looked up one last time at the gleaming mountain and locked eyes with Eowyn, who lifted a hand in farewell and then she vanished, leaving me to continue my long passage back to Gondor.

Saphira’s POV

I gasped and sat up before recoiling at the sight of my skin. I was in my quarters, in my kingdom. But how? I looked around and pinched my good arm before wincing. It was real, I was alive!

I stumbled off the stretcher that I was apparently lying dead on and stumbled over to my bathroom splashing water on my face before realizing that I still had an open gash on my forearm.  Quickly I dunked my injury under the cold water before tightly securing it with a clean linen. It hurt badly but the injury faded and I was left with a faint scratch where my cut used to be when I felt the life and power returning to my body with a huge power surge that brought me to my knees of the cold ground. I let out a screech and clutched at my chest trying to minimize the pain as my power and strength returned to my frail body and then the door to my quarters were flung open and the queen flew in like a tornado.

My eyes locked with hers and she let out a long joyful howl before tackling me into a fury of wolf kisses. I laughed and my voice rang out throughout the castle and all at once Eowyn burst through the door and turned pale at the sight of me wrestling with the queen of the white wolves on the floor. I grinned at her before nudging the queen off of me.

“Eowyn! I’m back!” I screamed and launched myself into her arms where she broke down sobbing. I cried with her, just feeling amazing to be back and alive again. Never before I had I felt so alive, and in love.

“Where’s Legolas? I need to fix things between us. He visited me didn’t he? I felt his lips and I heard his voice.” I looked at both of them and the queen looked a bit guilty before Eowyn led me to the balcony and told me to search the view. I looked out, my elven gaze raking the landscape until I saw a huge army made up of both Gondor and Rohan riders heading out of their city and towards Mordor. The lands of the dark towered forebodingly over them as they boldly marched towards the black gates. My eyes widened as I saw a figure ride up to them and join their march. Legolas…no.

“I have to go.” I shoved off the balcony and ran to Eowyn who hung back a little before turning to the queen.

“I’m staying here to help the injured.” Eowyn stated and she walked out sadly looking at me before leaving me with the queen. I turned to the regal wolf before sighing.

“I suppose I have to stay and be a good princess I guess.” I sighed. I knew that she would not want me to go to war again, or lead my kingdom back into it. It was unwise to do such a thing, and I knew it.

“You must go and represent our people.” The queen’s voice startled me out of my thoughts and I turned towards her carefully as if I couldn’t belive that I was hearing her say this. I just came back from the dead and here she was letting me go back out into battle!

“What? You approve?” I questioned, feeling slightly overwhelmed by emotions. Did she care that I was dying and coming back to life anymore?

She let out a humourous chuckle before stretching her back legs out, her long claws gleaming under her padded front paws. I waited patiently for an answer whilst I removed my bloody battle gear and tried to clean my armor.