Battle of Helm's Deep and Mixed Feelings

Saphira’s POV

Faelwen dropped through the clouds at such a speed that I thought my heart was in my mouth. I could hear the pained screams of both man and orc as they clashed down below…I hope I wasn’t too late.

With a final mighty heave, Faelwen burst through the clouds and thundered into the heat of the battle. Men let out cries of alarm and terror at the sight of a Nazgul breaking through the clouds and many orcs let out rousing yells, thinking that we were on their side. Oh well, they were wrong. Faelwen targeted a nearby orc and decapitated him with a clean slice of her talons. I perched myself up high on her neck and drew an arrow in my bow before firing at every single rotting creature in my sight. Orcs lay slain everywhere now, but rider-less wargs were now the main focus as they kept bringing down men. My elven eyes detected much, but nothing caught my attention more than a particularly horrid looking uruk hai standing triumphantly over a fallen elf.

Legolas! My mind screamed out at once and I saw his life flash before my eyes. The prince of Mirkwood might have tried to kill me, but he was still a crucial part in the fellowship! Time flew into slow motion as I steered Faelwen towards Legolas. The orc raised his bloody weapon above the prince’s chest ready to deliver the deathblow, and then I jumped.

   I flew off of Faelwen and I grabbed at my sword in thin air. My bow was fastened onto my shoulders tight and taunt as I shot towards the ground; all I had to do was get there…now!

My blade made a loud and sharp scraping sound as it connected with the uruk hai’s flesh and bone. There was an earsplitting shriek that echoed through the air as the creature’s head was separated from its body and with a dull thump the headless corpse fell back dead.

 Legolas’s POV

The orc suddenly let out an agonizing screech and his head was sliced clean off and landed on the ground beside my bow. I scrambled to my feet just as its limp body collapsed to the ground stone dead now. I looked around for any sight of someone who had helped me but I didn’t see anyone who could’ve saved me. That was when I turned around and I let my mouth fall open.

The girl, she was here! The girl wore her armor and everything again, the only exception was her hair, which was pulled back into an elvish braid at the back. She twirled around at the wargs wielding her sword and a dagger and too me it seemed like she was dancing on air as she lifted and countered against the enemy. I was so wrapped up in my daydream watching her that I stopped what I was doing and stared some more. Normally this wasn’t my thing, but she seemed to be enveloped in a dark blue glow, which showed off her dark hair, which was white at the tips? I looked closer, and indeed I was correct. She had white hair at the tips and they were tied back with a golden ribbon that shone in the sun as it rose higher into the sky.

She spun around suddenly looking for something else to combat and for a split second our eyes connected. Her eyes widened a fraction and all I wanted was to wave and look down at my feet. I held my breath as she raised her hand, and I thought she was going to give me a small wave. But instead she brought her hand back and threw a dagger straight at me!

I had a few seconds to launch myself out of the way and I looked at her with a glare that could have seriously killed her if looks could kill. She rolled her eyes and pointed, and I turned around. There behind me was a dead warg with her dagger embedded in between its eyes. Why didn’t I sense that before?

            The last few wargs were finally wiped out and I leaned heavily on my horse while I tried to catch my breath. I had helped a little more in the end, taking down a few remaining wargs whilst fighting beside her. I felt a bit envious of her skill, it was clear that she was a natural borne fighter as she killed without a second glance at where she was swinging her sword.