One. || h.s.

Por daniellealanah

(A Harry Styles AU) What if seeing each other again changed everything? Or then again, what if nothing chan... Más

Zero.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Tweleve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty One.
Twenty Two.
Twenty Three.
Twenty Four.
Twenty Five.
Twenty Six.
Twenty Seven.
Twenty Eight.
Twenty Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty One.
Thirty Two.
Thirty Three.
Thirty Four.
Thirty Five.
Thirty Six.
Thirty Seven.
Thirty Eight.
Thirty Nine.
Forty.
Forty One.
Forty Two.
Forty Three.
Forty Four.
Forty Five.
Forty Six.
Forty Seven.
Forty Eight.
Forty Nine.
Fifty.
Fifty One.
Fifty Two.
Fifty Three.
Fifty Four.
Fifty Five.
Fifty Six.
Authors note.

Six.

1.1K 26 4
Por daniellealanah

...

"Niall?"

"What the hell are you doing here?" He laughs, scratching his head as he takes a seat next to me on the bench and squints his eyes in the sunlight.

"I could ask you the same," I rebut and it only makes him laugh more. I can't help but smile at the sound of his hearty laugh; it's contagious no matter how bad I'm feeling.

"Fair enough. I came back when I graduated, I couldn't stand being away for so long. My life is here," he tells me, leaning back on the bench and staring out at the park with admiring eyes.

I wish I felt the same way about this place as he did. I wish I was happy to be back too, but the way things are going aren't convincing me that I made the right decision.

"What about you?" He asks after a while, turning his head to focus his bright eyes on me. "I thought you moved to Los Angles after -"

"I did," I cut him off, not wanting to hear his reminder. "I was there for three years but my program gives us the option of doing an internship during our last year and I got an offer from Parker. Paid."

"Parker? Wow, that's great to hear! That place is really hard to get into, you lucked out, Sky. Congratulations." He smiles brightly. "When did you get home?"

"Last night."

"Really? Why didn't you stop by?" He pouts and I try my best to hold in my laughter at his ridiculous expression.

"I didn't even think about it, to be completely honest. It didn't even cross my mind that you still lived across the hall." I've known Niall since I was eleven and moved in across the hall from him, we've been friends ever since. He, in fact, was the one who introduced me to Harry. "Plus, I was kind of... busy."

"Busy?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. He sits up straighter and angles himself toward me. Leave it to Niall to pick up on my subtle hints.

"Did you not hear any slamming doors last night?" I ask with a small laugh when I see his eyes go wide.

"That was you?" He has an amused smile on his face as he gapes at me. "What happened?"

The smile fades from my face slightly as I realize I've just entered the mine field and opened up a discussion to last night's events.

"Um... Harry happened," I say quietly and look away from him.

"Harry? Like Harry Styles?" He questions as if he's not believing his ears.

"Yup," I say, popping the p and turning to look back at him.

Something about Niall makes it easy for me to talk about this. I don't know whether it's because he wasn't there last night when everything went down, or if it's because I've trusted him with so much for so long. He knows what Harry is, or rather was, like and what he put me through. There are a lot of things only the three of us know and have locked away forever, never to be spoken of again.

All I know is that I feel better since he sat down next to me. I'm reminded of my life before Harry, the time when I loved New York as much as Niall does.

"But why...?" He starts but I watch as realization dawns over his face. "They told you didn't they?"

"If you're referring to Jessica and Harry telling me that they're dating, then yes, they told me. It didn't end well," I mumble.

We sit in silence, both watching the people buzzing about. There's a small boy not too far away who is being taunted by another boy who looks to be a bit older. The older one is holding something above his head and the smaller one is trying to reach for it. He's almost tall enough, but just not quite.

"How did you know?" I ask suddenly.

"Know what?" Niall turns his attention back to me and folds his arms over his chest.

"That my sister is dating Harry," I clarify, the words tasting sour on my tongue.

"Oh, I ran into them a week or so back. I actually ran into them here," he tells me.

The thought of Jessica and Harry spending time at this park makes me want to get up and leave this second. This was always my place, our place, and the thought of him sharing it with her sickens me. Maybe it's not the same for them, but it still makes my blood boil.

"Do you want to go for coffee or something? I'd love to catch up with you," Niall says, shaking me from my thoughts and grins at me softly.

"I don't think it's a good idea..." I start to say and watch disappointment take over his features. "Tomorrow?" I offer, not being able to stand the sad look on his face.

He perks up immediately and nods. "Tomorrow is good. Give me your phone, I'll put my number in."

I pull my phone from my pocket and hand it to him while he hands his to me. We exchange phone numbers and both stand up from the bench.

"I'll text you tomorrow," he tells me with a smile. "See you around, Sky!" He waves as he backs away and turns to walk down the path.

"Bye, Nialler," I call to him and smile - actually smile.

He stops in his tracks and turns back to me with a raised eyebrow and a smirk on his lips. "No one has called me that in a long time."

"Oh, sorry..." I mumble and twirl my hair nervously.

"Don't be sorry, I like it," he says softly with a small grin. He gives me a nod and turns back to continue down the path.

I watch his blonde head as it bobs through the people in the park and gets further and further away from me. Seeing Niall is the first thing about moving home that has actually made me smile and not turned into a disaster since I got back. It's a relief to know that maybe I will find some good things in coming home, maybe I will be able to start over after all.

As long as I'm around Jessica, however, that is not going to happen. She is only going to be a reminder of Harry for me now, as much as I'd hate to admit it. We were the best of friends when we were younger, completely inseparable despite our differences. All the memories I held of my sister were good ones of my childhood. I never connected her with that year of my life when everything went bad even though she was a close part of it. Now, all she will be to me is a reminder of it because she has made herself part of it. It kills me that my own sister will be someone who will bring memories of a bad history back to me, but it is her fault. She made it so.

I pull Harry's jacket tighter around me as a small breeze rolls through the park and swirls the colorful leaves on the ground. I walk slowly down the path with my arms wrapped around me, lost in my own world. I almost don't notice that I've reached the other end of the park until a loud car horn shocks me back to reality.

I stand at the edge of the park and stare out at the street in front of me. The park is really the only thing separating my street from downtown New York and all the hustle and bustle that come with it. People are everywhere; in cars, taxis, buses, rushing in and out of shops, hurrying down the side walk and I nearly pass out. I haven't seen this many people since last time I was at a concert in Los Angeles and even then I was uncomfortable. Whenever there are a lot of people around I tend to feel like I am being judged, even though I know it is not the case.

My phone vibrating in my pocket startles me and I jump. Mom flashes across the screen and I retreat back into the park a few paces to answer it.

"Where are you?" She asks as soon as I answer, her tone panicked. She must have found my sister in her room.

"Nowhere, I'm fine mom," I assure her, kicking at the leaves beneath my feet.

"I asked you not to run off again," she says sternly and I roll my eyes now that she can't see me.

"I didn't run off, I went for a walk. I'm twenty, mom, I can take care of myself. It's the middle of the day, nothing is going to happen."

" You never know what could happen and you didn't even leave a note or tell Jess where you were going," she scolds.

"Isn't that what phones are for?" I say sarcasticly even though I know she won't appreciate it.

"Watch your tone." She is seriously treating me like I'm a teenager still. I'm an adult, I can do what I please.

"You don't have to know where I am every minute is what I'm saying," I groan. My feet have carried me back through the park and I'm almost back at my building.

"As long as you are living with me I have a right to know," she says.

"Then maybe I'll move out," I tell her without thinking.

"Just come home," she says calmly and hangs up.

I jab the screen with my finger and shove my phone back in my pocket. If I knew I was going to be hounded by my mother 24/7 then I would have never come home. I was on my own all the time in California and no one really cared where I was or what I was doing. I don't need her parental supervision now, especially when I'm an adult.

Maybe I should move out. The only time the thought has crossed my mind was when I was seventeen and wanting to move across the county. I never thought about getting my own place here, a place all for me. Since my mom is paying for my education I can afford it with money I've saved from part time jobs and be able to keep up with it once I start my internship in a few days.

Moving out won't only get me away from my controlling mom, as much as I love her to pieces, but it will get me away from Jessica too. It seems much more desirable to try and rebuild our relationship if I'm not living in the same space as her. If I get my own place, then I'll really be starting fresh.

I push the button for the elevator and tap my foot impatiently as I wait for it to arrive. When the doors open, I nearly swallow my tongue at the sight of Harry and my sister clasping hands. She glances at me briefly before turning her eyes to the floor and pulling him out of the elevator.

"Hey, Skylar," Harry smiles brightly, planting his feet and not letting her pull him any further. She has a small scowl on her face, clearly not pleased that he stopped to talk to me.

His pale eyes are popping in contrast with his black T-shirt and black leather jacket. My throat feels tight making it hard for me to breath.

"Hey," I mutter and smile briefly.

"We were just headed for lunch and to see a film, want to join us?" He asks with no hint of sarcasm in his tone.

My jaw drops in shock as does Jessica's and I'm sure my eyes are as wide as hers as well. She glares at him but he doesn't move his eyes from me to see her expression.

"Um, no... that's fine. Thanks for the offer," I rush out, in my desperate attempt to get away from them. I can feel my anger setting in as my hands start to shake and my heart pounds. I force my eyes to stay away from Jessica knowing it will only anger me more to see their hands latched together.

"Oh, maybe next time," he says with a nod. I catch disappointment flash across his face and disappear as quickly as it came. "Is that my jacket?" He asks suddenly, an amused smile taking over his features as he gestures to the oversized jacket I'm wearing.

"Yeah, it is... sorry," I stutter as I slide it down my arms and hold it out to him.

He holds up a hand and shakes his head. "No, it's fine. You look cold, keep it."

"Um, okay," I mumble, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. What is he doing offering me his jacket and inviting me to a movie with him and my sister? I guess this could be his way of starting over, maybe I'm overanalyzing once again and he's only being friendly. He probably pities me.

"See you later," he says softy and grins, dimples showing, before turning to walk away.

As they walk toward the glass revolving door, I watch as Jess rips her hand from Harry's and folds her arms over her chest. He places a hand on her shoulder, saying something in a hushed tone, but she shakes him off. He runs a hand through his curls and follows her out of the building.

If Jessica wasn't pissed off enough, she definitely is now. I know for a fact that when she gets back, all her anger and frustration will be taken out on me. I can't deal with being punished for something I had no part in. I didn't ask to go with them, Harry strangely offered and that's not my fault.

As the elevator ascends, there is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that has me questioning Harry's motive for asking me to join them. Does he really pity me that much that he is asking me if I want to tag along on their date? Or is he rubbing it in my face that he has moved on and I have yet to do so?

No, I have moved on from him, I just haven't found anyone else yet. I'm no longer latched to him like I was before and I will never be again.

I dig out my key and open the door to the condo, repressing all thoughts of Harry and Jess.

"Mom?" I call out as I kick off my boots.

There is no answer so I head into the kitchen, thinking I'll find her sitting in the window seat again. When she's not there, I look around the kitchen for a note and find a small piece of paper sitting on the counter.

Out for a late lunch with a friend. Be back soon.

- Mom xx

(This is how you leave a note.)

Of course she would throw it in my face that I didn't leave a note when I left. I roll my eyes as I crumple the paper and toss it in the bin. Looks like I'm alone for a few hours since everyone and their uncle is out for lunch except me. I hope my mom comes back before my sister or else her wrath will be much worse without my mom's presence.

I sit down on the sofa and put my feet up on the coffee table. I skim channels until I find something at least remotely bearable and settle into the couch. I sigh, the noise filling the empty rooms, and suddenly I feel lonely.

I never had too many friends, and most of the people I thought were my friends turned out not to be. I made good friend in California, but of course they don't help much since they are across the country.

The only people I had before are the same people I have now; Jessica, my mom and, well, Harry. Since my mom is out to lunch and so are Harry and Jess, I have no one. It's not even like I can hangout with Jessica anyways because she so obviously is mad at me right now, and I can't hangout with Harry either for obvious reasons, many obvious reasons. Either way, I'm sat on my sofa watching mindless television with no one to spend time with. Or maybe, that's not so true.

I pull out my phone and start typing out a text message to Niall, asking what he's doing. As I wait for his reply, I can't help but feel like I'm thirteen again when Niall and I used to hangout everyday until he got to highschool then we grew apart, that's when we started to realize that our one year age difference could keep us apart. He was my best friend for a time and I remember those times as my happiest. I'm sure that no matter what happens, Niall will never remind me of my past in a bad light even if he was present in it. I have too many good memories with him.

My phone buzzes and I check for his reply.

Nothing really, just watching the game... what's up?

I smile at his message and answer back.

Would you want to come watch the game across the hall?

Not two minutes later, I hear a knock at the door and laugh to myself as I stand to answer it.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

376K 9.7K 32
Princess Marie, a renowned troublemaker of Paris has entered the Ton. Marriage, children and any prospect of love have always been a 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘧...
181K 7K 66
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
44.5K 1.9K 19
"Show me somethin' different once, I come from where there's no love." COPYRIGHT 23. #1 ATLANTA 05/01/2024 🏆
4M 86.8K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...