Terminus Part I: The Journey...

Da roogymirror

Detective James Baron became an outlaw after asking the wrong questions. After four years of running on land... Altro

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate
Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame
Chapter 3: The Journey Begins
Chapter 4: Something That Matters
Chapter 5: Burundi, the Fish Market
Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates
Chapter 7: The No-Talent Chef
Chapter 8: Rival Gangs
Chapter 9: Motorcycle Mystery
Chapter 10: Deductive Unreasoning
Chapter 11: Criminal Action
Chapter 12: Barracuda
Chapter 14: Aftermath of the Mistrial
Chapter 15: Piscology
Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision
Chapter 17: The Phobos Sea
Chapter 18: Angler
Chapter 19: Prisoner
Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run
Chapter 21: Sabotage By Half
Chapter 22: The Promised Planet
Chapter 23: Guarded Treasure
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: The Million
Chapter 26: Brothers
Chapter 27: 500
Chapter 28: The Phobos Sea Reprise
Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 30: Fort Barronym
Chapter 31: Rebels
Chapter 32: Second Chance
Chapter 33: Runaways
Chapter 34: The House in Satchanville
Chapter 35: Seven Noblemen
Chapter 36: Dinosaurs
Chapter 37: The Unexpected
Chapter 38: Recovery
Chapter 39: Forebaggage
Chapter 40: Halberd the Hero
Chapter 41: The Balance of Power
Chapter 42: The Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 43: The Guiding Fog and Septagon Island
Chapter 44: Andy the Celestial Turtle
Chapter 45: The Satchanville Copperheads
Chapter 46: Innovation Bay
Chapter 47: The Emerald City
Chapter 48: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 49: Left Unsolved
Chapter 50: Martin Magick
Chapter 51: Departure
Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise
Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut
Chapter 54: A Whistler, A Lyrebird, and A Siren
Chapter 55: Fighting With Words
Chapter 56: Grudge the Gorilla
Chapter 57: The Sound of Fear and Doubt
Chapter 58: Wins and Losses
Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea
Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo
Chapter 61: Snyke's Penitentiary
Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects
Chapter 63: Salvador
Chapter 64: The Gatekeeper, Zephyr
Chapter 65: Reunions
Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity
Chapter 67: Virtual Capacity
Chapter 68: Conduit Training
Chapter 69: Back Then
Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium
Chapter 71: History Made
Chapter 72: Preparations
Chapter 73: The Atlas Sea Reprise
Chapter 74: New Leadership
Chapter 75: The End of An Era

Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail

4 0 0
Da roogymirror

James was satisfied that he had collected enough information from 'Bob' as he would need to. While he did not think that the evidence was concrete, the argument he made was certainly compelling. However, as it happened, the officers Crimson and Cerulean had busted in, looking to arrest 'Bob' for the murder of Judge Wisconsin Perkins.

Unsure of what to make of this new and sticky situation, James opted to not resist arrest, and with luck, figure something out later down the line.

Salvador was talking to his fellow inmates.

"I suspect the time of our escape is soon. Do you wish to be discreet or loud?" he asked.

"Would they find your secret hideout if we were to use it as an escape route?" asked Dan.

"That is a troubling concern. I suspect it might serve our needs better if we were to be loud. Any objections?"

No-one spoke, and so it was decided. Salvador would wait for something that would indicate that it was time for action, and then they would break out of prison.

Crock had finished talking to Gumboot, and had returned to the ship, where the other members were playing video games. He laughed and remembered the times he would sit back and relax. Those days were years ago, before he even became a sailor. He asked them if they wanted to head out into town and go for a walk. The phone then started to ring.

"I'll get it!" said Cameron.

After he picked up the phone, he heard James' voice on the other end, urgency within it. "Do any of you have experience being a lawyer?" he asked.

Cameron repeated the question to the crew.

"Laws aren't fun!" said both Patricia and Karnilla.

"I used to know a lawyer, does that count?" said Crock.

"They're not my favourite kind of people, but if James needs a lawyer, I could give it a shot," said Milangelo.

"Oh, yeah, you... never mind," said Cameron. "Uh, James, if you need a lawyer, Milangelo says..."

"Okay, good. I need you all to come to the court, we need to prove that we had nothing to do with the murders that took place at Meals Eternal on the 11th of October."

"Isn't it a bit late in the day for that?" asked Milangelo.

"Not today, tomorrow. Come to the court tomorrow, there's going to be a trial. The cops have an innocent person pegged as their suspect. If we don't clear our own names and then provide enough evidence, or in the absence of, enough of an argument, it is highly likely this person will be convicted."

"The guy who caught and helped put away my friend is talking about how authorities shouldn't convict innocent people."

"Are you trying to tell me something I didn't know about Edwin Longchest, Crock?"

Barracuda was preparing to go home, when Grouper came in and gave a report.

"I just received confirmation from Redfish, 'Bob' has been arrested for the murder of Judge Perkins. It would also appear that a rogue detective was in the process of interviewing him at the time, so they have him in custody, too."

"A detective? Those idiots! Why is everyone changing the plan to suit their needs? We can't afford to get this person involved! This is completely reckless!" said Barracuda. He thought about Gaia's warning: Exercise caution; a detective of ill-repute may undo all that you have connected.

Hedges visited Mitchell in his infirmary, and was informed that while he was very weak, he had regained consciousness.

"Sir, it's good to see you," he said.

"You know why I'm here, Mitchell."

"I failed to prevent that guy from escaping, didn't I?"

"You did, but that's not what I'm talking about."

"Oh?"

"You and I are a lot alike."

"We are?"

"Yes. And normally, I would trust a person like that with my life. However, the things you share in common with me make you a threat. And I can't have threats working under my nose."

"What are you saying?"

"You are a very good team member. Your ideals are also ones to strive for. But, you seek that which I seek. Power."

"I would never seek to take power from you!"

"You say that now, but who's to say what would happen if the chance to take power was right in front of you?"

"Sir, please, I just want to be the best gang member I can be."

"Yes, and that is the problem. Your potential is high enough that your attitude towards your profession may lead you to one day decide to overthrow me. I can't let you do that."

The two of them continued to argue further into the night, before finally, Hedges had his fill of talking, and slipped a pill in between Mitchell's teeth.

"Now, if you can, bite down. If you don't, then you'll leave me with no other choice than to force you."

Mitchell complied with the request and died within minutes.

The next day, Milangelo and Cameron headed out to meet up with James, getting a considerable head start on Crock and the women. The three of them decided not to rush to catch up, and maybe explore the town for a bit.

They walked until they reached the town square, where they found a statue of Efelgart Bridge. They were quite surprised.

"Lonny's dad..." said Patricia.

At the same time, Crock thought, Efelgart, it was an honour to know you. Your death was not in vain. Then he heard that Pat had said something. "What was that?"

"Oh, it was nothing," answered Karnilla. "Remember the oath, Patricia. Gentleladies never tell."

"Are you talking about the Gentleman's Club?" asked Crock.

"Shit," Karnilla whispered. "He's onto us!"

A man tapped Crock on the shoulder. "Excuse me, I'm looking for the court house, could you give me directions?"

Crock turned around and was about to answer the man's question, when the man said, "You! You're alive!"

"Oh, yeah, who am I?" Crock asked sarcastically.

"You're Crock Turnbull, that veteran that died fulfilling his duty. If you're still alive, that complicates things. I'll have to tell my superiors, for starters..." said the man.

"You'll do no such thing. Now, go to the court house."

"I will do no such thing. I will go to the court house."

Patricia and Karnilla could hardly believe their eyes. "What the fuck was that?" asked Karnilla.

"The simpler the mind, the easier it is to influence."

"You can do mind tricks, old man? You gotta teach me how to do that stuff," said Patricia.

"It takes a lot of discipline, and for certain I'm a little out of practice, but for people who follow the flow of the current, their minds are easily suggestible. Regardless, you can't make a person do something. There has to be a part of their brain open to the idea."

They continued to talk about it as they made their way to the court house. Milangelo and Cameron had reached James, and were talking about what Cameron had experienced. James corroborated this with Bob's theory that the Rough-House Gang were attempting to artificially raise tensions, and the new revelation that 'Bob' was being framed for the murder.

Within the next hour, the jury shuffled in. From the outset, it was obvious that with members like this, a mistrial might be a likely outcome. The jury consisted of: Gumboot, Isaac, Jonah, Coelacanth, Mortadella, Guitarfish, Persimmon, John Glory, Diesel, Condor, Officer Cerulean, and Officer Crimson. Some of the members had personal knowledge of the victims and, or those being prosecuted, some were members of gangs, and two were policemen. However, the truth would not show itself immediately, and the trial began as intended.

Salvador sat in his chair in Correspondence Cave. He was aware of the trial, and slowly a smile spread across his face.

"That's our cue. I must return to the prison at once!"

Salvador and his prison mates began their breakout plan. The five of them had pledged to become full-time members of the Martyrs Gang, Dan, Umbrella, Willis, Grim, and Fortitude.

"Compared to you guys my name sounds really lame," said Dan, as they all got in position.

"It's good to see you again, boss," said Grim.

Fortitude activated two-strength, and bent the bars of the cell. A guard noticed and yelled at them. Several guards then pulled out their tasers and prepared to fight. Salvador stepped out of the cell and before the guards could do anything about it, he proclaimed, "Five-strength! Waves of Passion!" Moving his arms in and out, up and down, he sent a shockwave that immobilised all the guards within a forty metre radius.

"That's the kind of power that monsters have. Do you have a bounty, Salvador?" asked Willis.

"I am the Martyr, Salvador. I have a bounty of forty-nine million onits. If this intimidates you or changes your loyalties, feel free to speak up," answered Salvador.

"We're all with you, sir," said Grim.

"As proof, I request that you all take the pledge."

"The saviours of Kings will take their place, all glory to the martyrs," they all chanted.

As they continued their escape, the Judge arrived at the court. "Okay, who is responsible for choosing the jury?" she asked.

"A civilian by the name of German Wallace, sir," said a man.

"What?" she exclaimed, surprised.

Barracuda was laughing hard, and rather evilly. He had just heard about Salvador's breakout.

"Sir, why did you choose such a bad jury? You could have put 'Bob' away for real, and pinned Killifish's crime on someone else," said Piranha.

"You never look at the big picture, my friend. The trial was merely a distraction. Something to tempt Salvador into leaving the comfort of prison. Hedges' hunt for the parasite, and Salvador's undermining of the legal system will force both of them to confront each other. The original murder was just a front, designed to sow the seeds of mistrust!" he explained.

Bob explained his theory to the judge, who shook her head lamely and sighed. "This was a shit-show. Who would go out of their way to undermine the legal system like this?"

Officer Crimson stood up, grinning.

"Do you have something you want to say, Officer Crimson?"

"Yes, I do. But please, call me Redfish."

"Did 'Bob' really kill Judge Perkins?" asked Dan, as the six escapees ran through the town, attempting to lose those who were in pursuit.

"Bob would never kill a colleague whom he considered to be on his side, to think otherwise is to show complete naivety," assured Salvador.

As they ran, Hedges discovered that Salvador had broken out of prison. "I knew that bastard could have escaped at any time he wanted. But he had the audacity to sit there and to try fool his opponents," said Hedges.

"Do you think he knows about us searching for the parasite?" asked Swingarm.

"If he does, then I guess we both have reasons to be angry with each other. At this point, a gang war is inevitable."

Crock, Karnilla, and Patricia arrived at the court house to the Judge shocked at Officer Crimson's actions.

"Am I to understand that you are a member of the Rough House Gang?" she asked.

"Yes, and this farce was a ruse: as we speak, Salvador is fleeing from police officers after breaking out of prison!"

"How do you know all of this?"

"Because it is all according to Barracuda's plan!" said Officer Cerulean.

"Officer Cerulean? Are you involved in this as well?"

"Please, call me Bluefish."

"Well, what did we miss?" asked Crock.

"Who the hell are you people?" the Judge screamed.

"They're with me," said James calmly.

"And who are you?" she asked.

"A detective we found asking Bob questions," said Bluefish.

"Why is there a detective here, and who are his friends?"

"We've identified him as the rogue detective with a bounty of forty million..." began Redfish.

"Shit, this won't end well," said James.

"I've got you, James," said Crock. He assumed a fighting stance, closed his eyes, opened them, and exclaimed the word 'somnia', all in the space of seconds. Everyone froze, and soon everyone who wasn't a member of the Detective Pirates was sound asleep.

"You've got some explaining to do, Crock," said Milangelo.

"Ha, not in your lifetime," he replied.

"He can explain himself later," said James. "Let's get out of here right now. I think we could benefit from coming up with a proper plan."

Meanwhile, Barracuda was talking with Zander, Grouper, and Flagtail. "How's our timeline looking?" he asked the trio.

"Redfish and Bluefish have come out of hiding. Also, according to security camera footage in the court house, the detective may be some sort of rogue. When one of his friends arrived, he did something that made many people fall asleep," explained Flagtail.

"What do you mean, 'many'?"

"I mean, after he did it, there were only five others still awake, including the detective."

"He used 'somnia'? What kind of friend does he have?"

Disco walked in. "Sorry to interrupt, but I just got word that Salvador has managed to ditch the authorities in pursuit, and Hedges has mobilised the Motorcycle Gang. I think that war you wanted is about to happen. Holes in my jeans!"

Barracuda gave a wide smile, and as he did, it was as Disco had described. The Martyrs had joined up with Salvador and his cell mates, and the Motorcycle Gang had headed out for the town square. This happened to be where the Martyrs were headed as well. It was quarter past two p.m., and they would meet at the square in approximately forty-five minutes.

Beardfish sat in a corner of the Rough Warehouse, reading the newspaper. He was up to today's Fish Foresight.

13 October: Today's Fish Foresight

The swordfish are territorial today. They are frenzied and tend to fight any perceived threat. This behaviour arises during periods of great conflict. In this writer's opinion, Barracuda is the one true gang leader, and today's war will prove that.

"Escolar's been getting a bit crazy lately," said Beardfish.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

483 87 23
Being hunted by an assassin group isn't really what Alex expected after he freed an innocent man from jail and murdering one of their top fighters. H...
6 0 18
A pirate princess tries to make her way home... wherever home is. she isn't sure where she's from, but she will stop at nothing to find out. danger...
149 37 10
My journey through life, though seemingly effortless, is far from it. As an eighteen-year-old heiress of not one, but two crazy rich families, the we...
63.9K 4.6K 61
There is nothing worse for a pirate than dying on dry land. Except, maybe, swinging two feet above it. When their captain is imprisoned, facing the...