Terminus Part I: The Journey...

Af roogymirror

Detective James Baron became an outlaw after asking the wrong questions. After four years of running on land... Mere

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate
Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame
Chapter 4: Something That Matters
Chapter 5: Burundi, the Fish Market
Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates
Chapter 7: The No-Talent Chef
Chapter 8: Rival Gangs
Chapter 9: Motorcycle Mystery
Chapter 10: Deductive Unreasoning
Chapter 11: Criminal Action
Chapter 12: Barracuda
Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail
Chapter 14: Aftermath of the Mistrial
Chapter 15: Piscology
Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision
Chapter 17: The Phobos Sea
Chapter 18: Angler
Chapter 19: Prisoner
Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run
Chapter 21: Sabotage By Half
Chapter 22: The Promised Planet
Chapter 23: Guarded Treasure
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: The Million
Chapter 26: Brothers
Chapter 27: 500
Chapter 28: The Phobos Sea Reprise
Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 30: Fort Barronym
Chapter 31: Rebels
Chapter 32: Second Chance
Chapter 33: Runaways
Chapter 34: The House in Satchanville
Chapter 35: Seven Noblemen
Chapter 36: Dinosaurs
Chapter 37: The Unexpected
Chapter 38: Recovery
Chapter 39: Forebaggage
Chapter 40: Halberd the Hero
Chapter 41: The Balance of Power
Chapter 42: The Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 43: The Guiding Fog and Septagon Island
Chapter 44: Andy the Celestial Turtle
Chapter 45: The Satchanville Copperheads
Chapter 46: Innovation Bay
Chapter 47: The Emerald City
Chapter 48: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 49: Left Unsolved
Chapter 50: Martin Magick
Chapter 51: Departure
Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise
Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut
Chapter 54: A Whistler, A Lyrebird, and A Siren
Chapter 55: Fighting With Words
Chapter 56: Grudge the Gorilla
Chapter 57: The Sound of Fear and Doubt
Chapter 58: Wins and Losses
Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea
Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo
Chapter 61: Snyke's Penitentiary
Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects
Chapter 63: Salvador
Chapter 64: The Gatekeeper, Zephyr
Chapter 65: Reunions
Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity
Chapter 67: Virtual Capacity
Chapter 68: Conduit Training
Chapter 69: Back Then
Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium
Chapter 71: History Made
Chapter 72: Preparations
Chapter 73: The Atlas Sea Reprise
Chapter 74: New Leadership
Chapter 75: The End of An Era

Chapter 3: The Journey Begins

7 1 0
Af roogymirror

If ever there were three words that could make even the most fantastic of voyages seem underwhelming, it would be the journey begins. It should also be noted that any variation of these words would have same effect. Regardless, it is an apt and unfalsifiable statement when applied to journeys that are indeed just beginning, such as that of the newly infamous Detective Pirates. Comprising of only six members, a cruiser valued at about thirty-seven million onits, and the fortune of former millionaire Milangelo Douglas.

The stunt at Alimony Bay resulted in James and Milangelo being recognised as credible threats to the government and the world at large. James was awarded a bounty of forty million onits, and Milangelo a bounty of ten million onits. This news brought them a small amount of satisfaction, as it was indicative of their notoriety. Milangelo was not entirely pleased, however, and made it known.

"Ten million? How does doing half the work result in a quarter of the notoriety? It should be equal."

"The thing is, the government has been on my tail for four years. They've wanted an excuse to put a bounty on my head, and stealing from your estate was just what they needed to justify the number they gave me. I would've received ten million, too, had it not been for my previous history."

"But how did you not have a bounty before?"

"I was living amongst civilians. The government never wants to soil their hands with any unnecessary casualties, and aren't the type to risk an adversary's attitude being the same."

"Right, it's because you're too strong for the average person to fight or capture."

"You're not wrong. I've spent years training my body in the most proficient martial arts of the time. I can go as far as four-strength with ease."

"Now I'm jealous. I've only managed to get to two-strength."

"They say the seas help the strong get stronger."

Milangelo and James continued to discuss the implications of their exploits for a little while longer. Meanwhile, Crock was at the helm, talking to Cameron. The young man had some reservations about their new lives. Crock assured him it would all work out in the end, for better or worse. Patricia and Karnilla were readily awaiting their first orders as crew members of a newly formed pirate crew.

James began the discussion that had earlier been promised: who was going to do what around the ship. Karnilla agreed to be the boatswain, Patricia to be the lookout, and Cameron to be the cannoneer. They agreed that any remaining jobs would be a shared duty, and then elected a quartermaster. To his surprise, the role went to Crock, who laughed heartily and said thanks to his fellow crew members.

"Okay, who can tell me where we're headed? Or better yet, who has a map and a compass?" asked James.

"Go ask Crock, he's the helmsman," said Milangelo.

James went into Crock's room and cleared his throat to make his presence known.

"Ah, captain. What might I help you with?" asked Crock.

"Where are we headed?"

"Oh, I've set a course for Burundi. Should be a good place to resupply. Their chief exports are fish and gunpowder."

"I know about Burundi. Never been there, so this should be interesting. Good food, clear waters, nice hotels, well if their marketing is to be believed."

"Will only take two days before we make landfall."

"That soon? This is a good ship."

"Yep, in all my time as a sailor, I've only seen one or two like her. Truly an impressive feat of engineering."

James and Crock continued to talk for a bit, reflecting on the recent developments and what a life of piracy would be like.

"Oh, it's nice to talk to someone who gets it. I mean, me, Crock Turnbull, becoming a pirate, it sounds absurd!"

"Wait, Crock Turnbull?"

"Oh, yeah, I suppose. Does the name ring a bell to you?"

"Did you lead the Turnbull Militia on a raid against the Gloomy Island Rebellion?"

"I don't want to talk about that, it was a particularly tough time in my life. I don't even have the energy to regret it."

"Um, before it all went to shit, I caught Edwin Longchest, the infamous traitor. They say he tried to kill you."

"Ha. I thought detectives were supposed be smart. No matter, you're not the one to blame if you believe the lies."

This piqued James' interest, but he decided not to push the discussion any further. It was clear that things were more complicated than they seemed, and that Crock was not a fan of talking about that particular chapter of his past.

Meanwhile, Cameron and Milangelo were standing idly at the stern of the ship, talking to each other.

"So, why did you not hire security for the ship?"

"Camen, my friend, guards always enforce rules. So not fun!"

"You're always calling me Camen, yet I can't call you Milang!"

"We've been over this, before Cameron."

"I know, she's dead, you cope by tossing out reminders, and I cope by shutting people out. But if you're so haunted, why did you agree to become a pirate? Heads roll all the time on the open seas. What if we lose ours?"

"We won't. We'll become strong. Strong enough that nobody will be able to kill us. Trust me."

The two of them looked out at the land they had left, off in the distance. They had only just started to understand the gravity of their decision.

Patricia and Karnilla sat in the onboard pub, playing a game of truth or dare.

"Okay, Pat, truth or dare?" asked Karnilla.

"Truth."

"You never pick dare, you suck."

"You never pick dare, either, hypocrite."

They started sticking their tongues out at each other, going back and forth, until they both burst out laughing.

"Okay, whatever. Cameron. Do you like him?" asked Karnilla.

"He's nice, but I hardly know the guy. It's too early to tell."

"Alright. Now you ask me the thing."

"Well then, Kans, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Okay, I dare you to... throw this dart–"

"Boring..."

"Not finished. While doing a backward flip."

Karnilla laughed a strain, forced laugh, and said "Cakewalk."

She attempted it with a smile and when finished, asked her friend where it had hit.

"Right in the bullseye! That was quite something."

"I know. And you're mediocre."

"Hey, categorically incorrect!"

They continued to go back and forth, as Patricia revealed that she wasn't all that enthusiastic about becoming a pirate, but she was hopeful that their lives would become more interesting as a consequence. Karnilla admitted to bringing on board the rifle they had stolen from a patroller in Kuzla, saying she had kept it with her to remind herself that a life of luxury can also be a life of burden. Patricia wanted to hear Karnilla tell the story again, as she was always so good at it, but she was only interested in keeping the game going. There wasn't much that they could really ask each other, though, as they had known each other for so long. With this in mind, and neither wanting to engage in dares, they abandoned that game and started talking about whatever came to their minds.

"It's a real shame we never bought that house. Our lives could have been so different," said Karnilla, at least half-serious.

"Yeah, we would have been oblivious to reality. Living a lie."

"It could've been a happy lie, though. No running, no fighting, no ruining unsuspecting lives."

"But what kind of life is that? We live in a world where a real detective, a seeker of truth, is a pirate. Doesn't that seem odd to you? Who would want to live a normal life if 'normal' means never asking questions? Never making up your own mind?"

"I don't know, but I've always been curious. Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to have never been nomads?"

"I don't look back, Kans, it's rarely- if ever- conducive."

They continued to argue for a bit, but it was likely that they would have to agree to disagree. In the meantime, at the stern of the ship, Cameron and Milangelo continued to talk about things they had planned to leave behind, and things that they may face moving forward.

"Even if you resent me for it, I will still be your friend. I won't let you push me away, Milangelo."

"Blech. Too much sugar in those words, you'll poison me."

"Haha. You know, I think we'll be just fine. Well, you for sure, with your two-strength capacity."

"Don't be like that. You might be able to catch up. Maybe."

Cameron laughed some more said, "I bet you like having a friend who's weaker than you. Means you don't have to be jealous of the new captain."

"Yeah, I suppose so. Four-strength bastard."

"That's the spirit, come on, I think the gym's somewhere on a lower deck."

"A gym? Well I completely forgot those existed. I suppose this was a military ship at one point."

"It would have been no matter how much you paid the officials or whoever, you know that right?"

"Haha, you underestimate the power of money."

"You overestimate the integrity of the military."

Milangelo and Cameron made their way down to the gym, but on the way stopped by a small canteen to get some snacks.

"Say, all the staff for these businesses are gone, aren't they?" Milangelo asked Cameron, kind of elated.

"Off the ship with everyone else. Who would run a sweet shop aboard a ship that isn't military, merchant, or passenger?"

They talked about the absence of people being somewhat ghostly, all things considered, as they chose their food items, and went on their way.

In Crock's quarters, James and Crock had started talking about what James' future plans were.

"You've hijacked this ship and sent it out to sea. What do you want to do next? Did you even think that far ahead?"

"I hijacked the ship because I knew the sea was a way out of the lifestyle I had been forced into for four years."

"Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Well, the thing about the sea is you either sink or swim. Or get killed by monsters."

"I can swim. And I can show monsters who's boss."

"There's a sea for those who think like you. It's called the Terminus. Mysterious place, stuff of legend, yada-yada."

James' face became rather serious, as if he were hiding a great excitement, yet at the same time, great reservation. "You mean the Terminus? You know that word means 'end' right? People go there to die."

Crock laughed as if he were twenty years younger. "You're a riot! 'People go there to die'? People go there to live! Things that boggle the mind and melt the brain! Adventures that can only be dreamed of otherwise! Man, how many years have you been with the Bureau? I bet you believed everything they told you. They don't make detectives smart there. They make 'em obedient, receptive, and responsive. Sometimes I wonder why they still use people. I'd assume it's to stop the populace from freaking out. Anyway..."

"Honestly I was with you on the Terminus part, but you lost me when you started rambling about the Bureau. You sound like a conspiracy theorist."

"Ha, I can't help it if the truth inconveniences you or makes the government look bad. Over four-thousand years of total control, and they still can't stop people from breaking away. One day, it'll all come crashing down, although I'd be surprised if any of us here live to see it."

"How about this, you dubious old man, I will go to the seventh sea, and I will find out the truth for myself."

"Oh yeah, sounds like a plan. But you'll need to get to the only entrance, from the Atlas Sea. That means travelling through the Phobos and Hephaestus Seas. That will take a while, not to mention all the stops needed to keep up supplies."

"You're very knowledgeable about all of this."

"I should be. The Turnbull Militia was more than just an army created to end wars and stop rebellions. It was intended to venture into the uncontrolled territory. A place where the world-controlling government could only get the tiniest semblance of a grip on power. I've been to the Terminus Sea."

After this, Crock became sort of silent, and would just laugh at every question James berated him with. James started to think that maybe he had been too trusting of the people he had learned from. After all, they turned on him the moment he asked about Edwin Longchest's imprisonment.

James thought of something, and changed the subject. "I noticed that we haven't been ambushed by any naval forces yet. It's so weird, I was sure they would attempt to corner us."

"Haha. You've never sailed the ocean before, have you? The thing is, the government doesn't like to expend manpower. They will come for us, but it won't be an immediate attack."

James thought on this, thanked Crock for his time, and retired to his quarters. As he was about to lied down in his bed, he had an idea: start a journal. He figured that any sailor with the spirit and enthusiasm should take the time to document their adventures.

Captain's Chronicle, First Day: 9/10/4098

Today was a quiet day. A day of talking, wondering, deciding, and intrigue. Milangelo and Cameron are good friends. It is probable that they have a long history together. Same can be said of Patricia and Karnilla. They have found some places to talk amongst themselves, and that is excellent. I have talked to both Milangelo and Crock today. Milangelo is quite happy to be the First Mate, although the term is loosely defined. He knows now that I have a higher strength threshold than he does, but is determined to reach greater levels. Crock is a man of few words and little sense, but perhaps it is I that needs to look at my own beliefs in more detail. Is he all that others say about him? Or is this a vast mischaracterisation, in a similar vein to Milangelo? In the end, I am sure that once I have their trust, I will know more about them, and surely, they will know more about me. Today is not that day.

James signing out, for the first time.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

63.9K 4.6K 61
There is nothing worse for a pirate than dying on dry land. Except, maybe, swinging two feet above it. When their captain is imprisoned, facing the...
286K 26.2K 111
[#1 in Virtual Reality] Fantasy and Magic meets Science and Technology. In this epic story of brotherly love, friendship, struggle, and conspiracy, c...
2.5K 458 20
Life is a roller-coaster of emotions. Discovering the upcoming continental war between humans and creatures thought to be mythical is a BIG-BONE hind...
266 32 7
ᴀ ᴄᴏɪɴᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴜʀɴs ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴜɴᴋɴᴏᴡɪɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇɴɪɴɢ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴀᴄᴛs ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ᴛʜᴇᴍ....... .......ғɪɴᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ.. As it continues.....𝙸...