♤ [2] An Everlasting Nightmare

By taytaylorabc

[SEQUAL TO AN EVERLASTING DEATH] "My light inside is broken, and my cracks are breaking through. But I still... More

ı 00 ı Summary & Playlist
ı 01 ı Lost Cause
ı 02 ı My Broken Light
ı 03 ı Letting Go
ı 04 ı Priorities Buddy, Priorities
ı 05 ı Mirror
ı 06 ı The Other Brother
ı 07 ı The Knot
ı 08 ı High
ı 09 ı Dead Walking
ı 10 ı Surviver
ı 11 ı House of Cards
ı 12 ı Coincidence
ı 13 ı Jenga
ı 14 ı Snow Globe
ı 15 ı Prescription: Vodka
ı 16 ı Memory Card
ı 17 ı Two Can Play at This Game
ı 18 ı Elephant in the Room
ı 19 ı Fog
ı 20 ı The Perfect Lie
ı 21 ı What Had to be Done
ı 22 ı Monster Within
ı 23 ı We Can Mend
ı 24 ı Unfolding Bloodlines
ı 25 ı Try Me
ı 26 ı The Last Time
ı 00 ı PART TWO
ı 01 ı The Crash
ı 02 ı Guilty as Charged
ı 03 ı What We Need
ı 04 ı Dark Impulses
ı 05 ı The Hunter
ı 06 ı Mad as a Hatter
ı 07 ı Miss Mystic
ı 08 ı This Moment
ı 09 ı I'll Catch You
ı 10 ı Happy Hour
ı 11 ı Burning Truth
ı 12 ı Thank You
ı 13 ı 1863
ı 14 ı Bliss
ı 15 ı Sacrifices Galore
ı 16 ı Kitty Kat
ı 17 ı Prom Crashers
ı 18 ı Silas
ı 19 ı M-I-A
ı 20 ı The Other Side
ı 21 ı Ghosts
ı 22 ı Mind Games
ı 24 ı Goodbye
ı 25 ı Plague
ı 26 ı Farewell
• Third and Final •

ı 23 ı As Long as You're With Me

5.5K 208 261
By taytaylorabc

˙ ˙ ˙

"My head's underwater but I'm breathing fine."

˙ ˙ ˙

BLAIR POV

Falling asleep beside someone and waking up with them the next morning is one of the best feelings I've ever experienced. All those years of thinking I was dead and alone has led me to this moment where I find myself beside the only person I have ever truly felt comfortable and alive with. Everything about James is beauty in my eyes, and it means everything in the world to me that he's still here after all we've been through.

Bonnie decided to keep the vail open for a little bit longer, promising that she would take it down tonight. She figured we all deserved a day to see our loved ones a little longer, people like Jeremy, Alaric, and Lexi.

As sunlight fills James's room I begin to stir in my sleep, rolling over from James's arm where my head lays so I am looking him in the eyes, only to find he is already looking at me. His face is filled with sadness as he stares down at me, sending an array of confusion sparking through me. "What's wrong?" I ask, reaching a hand up to cup his face.

He seems oddly stressed for someone who helped take down Silas. I thought he'd be happier now that we've solved that problem. "Nothing," he whispers, taking my hand from his cheek and bringing it up to his lips where he places a firm kiss on it.

I smile and close my eyes, laying my head back down on his arm as we lay there in silence. Then all of a sudden he speaks up again, forcing my eyes open. "I love you, Blair," he says firmly, pressing his lips to the top of my hair. "Never forget that."

His kind words surprise me, but also confuse me. His mood all morning has been off, and almost seems as if we're running out of time, but I know that's impossible. With my memories back, Silas gone, and the originals out of town, we have all the time in the world to figure ourselves out.

"How could I forget?" I smile, leaning up to place a kiss on his lips.

I melt in the kiss as my stomach explodes with butterflies as they usually do whenever I'm around James. I could stay here forever, and usually I would except for the fact that it's graduation today. I myself am not going to graduate considering I've only gone to high school in Mystic Falls for two days. However, I did promise Caroline that I would go to support her, Elena, Bonnie and my twin who are all graduating.

"I'm going to have a shower. Meet you downstairs," I smile, before taking off down the hall to my bathroom.

JAMES POV

I lay in bed watching as Blair leaves, hating every inch of myself for not telling her the truth. For not telling her that our future together isn't possible because I'm only visible to her right now due to the vail that is lifted. I can't find the heart to tell her that today is our last day together, because I don't want it to be spent in sorrow, but rather happiness. I don't want to give her false information when I could in fact be revived if Bonnie successfully completes the spell she's attempting.

As far as I know Bonnie is planning on using her enhanced power from the moon tonight to bring back Jeremy, Alaric and I. Although I know I should be happy knowing there's a chance I will live to see another day, a small part of me refuses to believe and put all my faith in the false hope. It's not that I don't trust Bonnie, but rather I know realistically the amount of power it takes to revive one person never mind three. All that power will kill Bonnie, and that's something I can't allow.

As Blair has her shower, I walk downstairs where Lexi, Stefan and Joel are all chatting about. As soon as I walk into the room however, their chatter stops.

"Please by all means, don't stop on my account," I say, rolling my eyes. I know exactly what they're going to tell me, and I know exactly what they're talking about.

"James, you have to tell her," Lexi says, being the first one to speak what's on everyone else's minds.

"I told you, I'm not telling her," I argue, walking over to the fridge to grab a bag of blood, only to realize I don't need it anymore. I'm no longer living.

I sigh and walk back into the living room, taking a seat in the chair across from Lexi who sits on the couch. Stefan sits beside her while Joel stands by the fireplace, still not coming to terms with my death. His state at the moment it the exact reason I don't want to tell Blair the truth. I don't want our last moments spent in sadness and pain.

"But James, that's not fair to her. You owe it to her to tell her the truth. She'll never forgive you," Lexi says calmly, trying to persuade me but my mind is settled.

"Maybe I do owe the truth to her, and maybe she won't forgive me, but that doesn't matter because I'm doing this for her," I say angrily.

"So you're just going to rely on Bonnie to bring you back? Come one man, that's unrealistic, I'm sorry. You of all people should know how much power those spells take. Are you really willing to put Bonnie at risk?" Stefan asks.

"I didn't ask her, she offered," I explain. "But deep down I know when it comes down to it, if she can only bring back one person it won't be me. It'll be Jeremy."

"Which is all the more reason you should tell her! There are some secrets you can get away with, and some you can't. This James, is a big secret. How do you think she's going to feel tomorrow waking up and realizing you're gone, huh? Bonnie's putting the vail back up tonight James, meaning you and I are gone for good," Lexi says a little too loudly. Thankfully Blair is still in the shower.

"That's real nice, Lex," Joel mutters, still staring at the fireplace.

"I'm sorry, Joel, but it's the truth!" Lexi argues.

"Listen, I know Blair more than any of you guys, even you Stefan. I've been with her almost everyday for the past year getting to know her all over again, and as of right now she's the happiest she's ever been. I'm not going to ruin that for her, because god knows she deserves to be happy. I will be the only one to break it to her, got it? No one else will say anything," I say sternly. "I died okay? I've accepted that, and now this is my last request."

"How can you accept that so early?" Joel questions, tears sliding down his cheek. "How can you be okay with all of this?" he says, beginning to yell.

I scoff. "You think I'm okay with this? I'm not Joel! But I've learned to accept it because there's nothing else for me to do. That's just the way it is," I say, trying to calm myself down. Just by standing here I can see how much this is really hurting him.

"B-but that's not fair James! I just got you back! I just got my big brother back!" he cries, tears flowing from his eyes. Joel never cries. When I picture Joel I can always see him with that big goofy smile and hear his laugh. It's contagious. The Joel that stands before me now is one I don't recognize.

I take five long strides until I reach the fireplace, taking my little brother in my arms for what might be the last time. "It's okay Joel, I'm okay. Everything will be okay," I assure him, although deep down I know I can't be more wrong.

∆ ∆ ∆

BLAIR POV

By the afternoon we've all gathered at the school field, all of us taking our places on the bleachers as the graduates line up for their ceremony. The Branson siblings all sit beside me, with Damon on my right as we watch the ceremony get started.

Amongst the crowd I spot Elena, Stefan and Bonnie, but no Caroline. I squint my eyes as I scan the line up, searching for a blonde when suddenly one pops up beside me, making me jump in my seat.

"There you are!" Caroline squeals.

"Gosh Caroline," I sigh, placing a hand over my heart as I compose myself. "What are you doing here? Go graduate!" I say.

"Well, it just so happens that a couple months back I ordered you a gown and cap," she says deviously, wiggling her brows.

I laugh but quickly learn she's quite serious. "Wait what? Are you serious? I went to school for two days!" I exclaim.

"Maybe only two days in Mystic Falls, but you still went to school back in 1864. Don't you want to have a chance at finishing it?" she asks gently.

I think about her words, about how I never really did get a chance at graduating high school. To be fair it's not that I didn't want to graduate, but rather I had died and got stuffed inside a tomb for 145 years. I always thought that part of my life, that part I never got to fully finish was gone, but now that Caroline is proposing I do so, I find myself not wanting to refuse.

"Come on!" she pleads.

I hesitate as James wraps and arm around my shoulder and kisses my cheek. He glances between me and Caroline, awaiting my response.

"Ugh, okay, I'll graduate," I say, finally giving in.

"Come on then!" Caroline says again, grabbing my arm and pulling me down behind the bleachers before throwing me the cap and gown. "Here, put them on."

I laugh as I slip the red gown over my existing clothes before placing the hat on my head. "How do I look?" I ask, posing in a dramatic pose.

Caroline laughs and shakes her head. "You look like a hot graduate," she smiles, before walking over to me and engulfing me in a hug. "Now, are you ready to graduate?"

"I'd say it's long overdue," I shrug as she laughs and takes my arm, leading me to the line up where every other graduate stands. We stand in line beside Stefan, Elena, and Bonnie, laughing and smiling. However, the look on Stefan's face is a little too gloomy for my liking. His expression matches James's and Joel's perfectly but I fail to understand why. Even though Stefan is smiling, I know him well enough to see right through, but before I have a chance to question him, the Mayor begins to call out names.

They go alphabetically, going through every student. Apparently Caroline added my name in last minute, so in the mean while we all just stand and wait to be called.

"Bonnie Bennett!" the Mayor says, turning our attention to Bonnie who makes her way up the stage to her father.

"Matt Donovan!" the Mayor announces minutes later, sending our attention to the stage as we cheer on Matt. Soon after he begins travelling further down the list of names.

"Caroline Forbes!"

"Elena Gilbert!"

"Stefan Salvatore!" the Mayor says, as I pat my twin on the back.

He smiles and walks up to the stage, accepting his certificate for probably the 100th time. As I stand there at the bottom of the steps leading to the stage all I can think about is how happy I am right now. I thought my life was over when I came out of the tomb. I thought I would never find my brothers, Handsome Face, or anyone. I thought I would always be alone, yet here I find myself about to graduate for the first time and complete a part of my life. At this moment I realize my life is only beginning. My life with James is only beginning.

"Blair Salvatore!" the Mayor calls.

I smile to myself as I make my way up the stairs, accepting the certificate from the Mayor and shaking his hand. "Thank you," I smile, genuine tears in my eyes.  He smiles and I turn around, standing and smiling at my friends in the crowd. I make my way down the stairs and join everyone else, waiting as every graduate receives their diploma.

Soon after everyone disperses and throws their caps in the air, cheering and celebrating. I laugh as I watch my cap fly into the air, as suddenly I'm attacked on all sides by Caroline, Elena, Stefan and Matt as we have a giant group hug.

We release each other and take a step back, huge goofy grins glued on all our faces as we take in the moment. People cheer and laugh all around us, but the only person I'm looking for is no where to be found. I look back up to the bleachers where James, Damon, Lexi and Joel should be but find no one there. They've all disappeared.

"So, how does it feel to finally be a high school graduate?" Matt asks me, but I'm not paying attention.

"Blair?" Caroline asks, looking in the direction I'm looking.

"Where's Bonnie?" I ask, realizing she has disappeared too.

"I don't know," Caroline frowns, looking around.

Before anyone can say anything I march towards the bleachers and take off my gown and cap leaving me in my regular clothes. I don't have to look behind me to know everyone else has followed me.

"Blair, where are you going?" Stefan asks me.

"To find everyone. They've all disappeared," I explain, not saying anything more as I walk to the school, trying to find an entrance to the underground caves.

"Blair wait!" Stefan calls, forcing my feet to halt to a stop. Stefan walks up to me and places a hand gently on my shoulder. "Where do you think you're going to find them?" he asks, but his tone says that he already knows.

"Bonnie needs to put the vail back up before more people try and attack us. My guess is that everyone else went to help her along with taking care of Silas's body," I explain, turning around and trudging towards the school.

I ignore their cries of protests as I sprint with vamp speed towards the basement of the school and into the underground caves. I can hear Stefan following me but I know too well than to stop. I turn corners and follow the sound of talking until I reach an opening with candles lit. However, the open space is completely empty.

"James?" I call into my mind, but he doesn't answer. "James? Where did you go?" I ask again, but he doesn't answer. Usually he always answers. It's unlike him not to answer.

I spot a body bag in the corner and walk towards it warily, taking precautions with every step I take. I reach it and realize it's nothing but a bag containing Silas, but just as I'm about to turn around I spot something else hidden behind the giant bag- a body

"What the?" I whisper, dragging Silas's body bag out of the way giving me a clear path of what's behind it.

To my horror it's a body covered in grey veins, a body resembling that of James Branson.

"Blair?" James asks suddenly from behind me. His quiet voice snaps me out of the shock as I slowly turn around, facing him.

"What is this? Why, why weren't you answering me inside my head?" I ask, my whole body beginning to tremble.

"Blair, I need you to listen to me okay, and I need you not to freak out," James says calmly, approaching me slowly. "Last night Silas, he killed me. He killed me, and the only reason you can see me right now is because of the vail that's down."

I just stare at him, his words not quite reregistering.

"But it's okay, because Bonnie is working right now to bring us back," he says, rushing to calm me down as my whole body begins to shake. My mind isn't working. I am in shock.

"Who's 'us'?" I manage to ask, attempting to make sense of his words.

"Let me show you," he says, taking my hand and leading me out of the opening and into another room. He takes me through a door that leads to a candle lit room with everyone surrounding something.

Stefan, Damon, Joel, Lexi, Jeremy and Alaric all stand there surrounding something, but turn when James and I enter. "What's going on?" James asks.

"James, I'm so sorry," Bonnie says, stepping out from the middle where everyone standing.

James furrows his brows in confusion as he steps towards Bonnie, soon realizing what she's talking about. Behind everyone lays Bonnie's body, sprawled out onto the floor.

"Bonnie, what happened?" James questions fearfully. His voice catches and croaks as he says the words, fear taking over him.

"It was too much James, I'm sorry. The power, it overwhelmed me," she begins to say, tears filling her eyes.

Everyone stands there in sadness while I stand there still in shock, the fact that Bonnie is now also dead not processing in my brain. To be honest I still believe that none of this is real. It can't be real. Maybe Silas isn't dead and he's just playing more mind games. Maybe I'm sleeping and someone has gotten inside my head. However, with Alaric and Lexi standing in front of me, I know that the only reason they're visible is because of the non existent vail. The same reason I can see James and Bonnie right now.

"Well if this isn't a pity party," Kol Mikaelson suddenly says, appearing in the doorway with several dead witches, witches that I killed.

James stands closer to me, taking my trembling hand in his steady one as Kol says his peace. "Bonnie, you need to close the vail," James says.

"What? No, please don't," I plead, turning to James.

"Blair, my love, there's no other option. I can't let you die, not when you just got to live again," he whispers, cupping his hand on my cheek.

"But, what about you? You just got to live again too!" I point out, my voice raising.

"Blair, I'm already dead," James says quietly.

"No, no. What if I die? I'll be with you anyways on the other side!" I exclaim. Suddenly in that moment I'm all for dying. I forget all about my brothers and everyone else I love just for being with him.

"I can't let you do that, Blair. What about Theo, huh?" James asks.

I think about what Theodore's parents said the other day, and for some reason their words have stuck with me, being the only reason not to join James on the other side.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we have more impending issues to deal with here," Kol suddenly speaks up, before turning to his witch friends. "Witches?"

Suddenly the witches all raise their hands, sending pain infliction spells on all of us sending us falling to the ground in pain. The spell lifts as Kol marches to us, grabbing me by my throat. "I only want you," he snarls as the witches keep everyone else down.

Jeremy suddenly runs from the sidelines, throwing his pocket knife into the chest of one of the witches, allowing James to get up. He runs to me and rips Kol off of me while taking my hand again.

More witches chant more spells and everything around me seems to be closing in. I see no way out, only death and at this moment death doesn't sound too displeasing to me.

James and I stand there hand in hand as Kol stands before us, a scowl across his face. I glance over at James and force a smile, accepting the fact that I might die, but I don't care as long as I get to be with him. His grip on my hand tightens with mine as Kol runs towards us, his fangs bared and his eyes thirsty for revenge.

I stand there contently waiting for death to arrive when suddenly Kol disappears from in front of us. Everything suddenly becomes dead silent as all the groans, cries and screams of pain have stopped, the witches no longer here. They've all disappeared.

Only now do I look down at my hand and realize it's empty. I'm no longer gripping James's hand, but rather empty air. Confused, I turn around and see Damon, Stefan, Joel and Jeremy standing there, but Bonnie, Alaric and Lexi are gone.

"Wh-what happened?" I ask. "Where is everyone?"

Deep down I know exactly what happened but I'm too stubborn and in denial to comprehend reality. "Bonnie, she brought me back. But the vail, it's back up," Jeremy says, staring at his hands in shock, like he can't believe any of this is real either.

I slowly glance down at my own hand, realizing what it all means. My hand is empty, no longer holding James's because he's gone.

_______________________

Please vote, share and comment!

[completed & edited: 09/12/2021]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 8.7K 72
[BOOK THREE] 'I am bent but not broken, I am tired but not lifeless, I am depressed but not giving up.' _________________________ BOO...
251K 6.8K 53
"I'm done ignoring how I feel about you.". "And what is that?" "I love you." --- Book 1 TVD seasons 2-4 Finished Jan. 2023 Disclaimer I don't own The...
30 0 30
This is my story, my memoirs. My life over several centuries has been good times, bad times, and times I could forget. This is a story about life as...
160K 6.3K 64
No one knows what happens when you die. It's a mystery that has always been. So when my time came, I accepted it with open arms. But as I entered my...