Risk // Sebastian Sallow

By ginger_lala

Olive is distraught after the events of her first year attending Hogwarts. Just when she thought things were... More

Welcome
Chapter 1: Nightmares
Chapter 2: Sunrise
Chapter 3: Crossed Wands
Chapter 4: The Room
Chapter 5: St Mungos
Chapter 6: You Love Her
Chapter 7: The Bet
Chapter 8: Shit Families
Chapter 9: Hungover
Chapter 10: Treasure Hunters
Chapter 11: Date*
Chapter 12: Reconciliation*
Chapter 13: Potions
Chapter 14: Detention*
Chapter 15: The Promise
Chapter 16: I've Never*
Chapter 17: Mandrakes
Chapter 18: Recovery
Chapter 19: Scones
Chapter 20: Jealous Games*
Chapter 21: Confessions
Chapter 22: The Boat House
Chapter 23: Second Date
Chapter 24: Third Date*
Chapter 25: Library*
Chapter 26: Christmas
Chapter 27: Christmas Pt. 2
Chapter 28: Christmas Pt. 3*
Chapter 29: Fort
Chapter 30: Grovelling
Chapter 31: Goblin Deals
Chapter 32: Gaunt
Chapter 33: Done Deal*
Chapter 34: Wishful Thinking
Chapter 35: Bittersweet
Chapter 36: Sebastian's Return*
Chapter 37: Empty Hourglass
Chapter 38: The Stages of Grief
Chapter 39: The Third Artefact
Chapter 40: Gaunt Manor
Chapter 41: No One Else*
Chapter 42: Realm
Chapter 43: Chivalrous
Chapter 44: Marvolo
Chapter 45: The Heist
Chapter 46: Pain
Chapter 48: Big Choices
Chapter 49: The Perfect Day*
Chapter 50: The Last Night
Chapter 51: Veela
Chapter 52: New Places*
Chapter 53: Careers
Chapter 54: Space
Chapter 55: All Hallows Eve*
Chapter 56: The Morning After
Chapter 57: End of an Era
Chapter 58: New York
Chapter 59: The Auror Programme
Chapter 60: Learning*
Chapter 61: Letters
Chapter 62: Rebelling
Chapter 63: The Task
Chapter 64: Liberation
Chapter 65: I'm Ready*
Chapter 66: Three Galleons
Chapter 67: Excitement
Chapter 68: Delaying
Chapter 69: Trial
Chapter 70: I Screamed
Chapter 71: Home
Chapter 72: Adjusting
Chapter 73: Eloise's First Day
Chapter 74: Building Bridges
Chapter 75: Rekindling*
Chapter 76: Growing
Chapter 77: Old Names
Chapter 78: Reckless Sebastian
Chapter 79: Deja Vu
Chapter 80: Escape
Chapter 81: Commitments
Chapter 82: Professor
Chapter 83: The Countdown
Chapter 84: The Sallow Home*
Chapter 85: Epilogue
Chapter 86: Epilogue Part 2 - Ominis & Lawson
ALTERNATE ENDING
ALTERNATE ENDING - Epilogue

Chapter 47: Changes

852 16 85
By ginger_lala

tw: brief mentions of Olive talking about non-con

"Miss Raywood, I'm happy to let you know that you had two breaks in your ribs on the left side and we were able to heal them without surgery. You'll be free to leave and go back to Hogwarts tomorrow." One of the friendlier Healers told me a mere few hours after they admitted me.

"How is Sebastian?" I asked. I didn't care about myself. My injuries were minuscule. I was not leaving this hospital without him.

"Miss Raywood, like every other Healer you've asked, I cannot disclose the information of other patients..." she explained.

I groaned, "Can you at least tell me if he's alive?"

She looked at me, her face softening slightly, "Yes. He's alive."

"Thank you." I said, flashing her a small smile.

Knowing he was alive wasn't much of a comfort. He left me in a really bad way. And Ominis hadn't come to see me with an update since I sent him away with Sebastian. I was stressed.

As the sun had set and the lights had dimmed in the hospital, I knew it was resting time and the Healers left were the bare minimum night shift staff, I took matters into my own hands. If they couldn't tell me about Sebastian. I was finding out myself.

I was kicking myself for not having the invisibility cloak with me, knowing it was collecting dust in Sebastian's trunk back at Hogwarts. But the disillusionment charm would have to suffice. I was hoping the dim lighting was going to help my cause.

I stuffed my bed full of pillows to look like I was still there and made my way out of my room, concealed by the charm. I stuck close to walls and dodged a few Healers before I had reached the ward I knew Sebastian would be on. The really unwell patients.

I was lucky I didn't have to sneak around much, because I saw his bloody gorgeous mop of hair sprawled out amongst a pillow in the second room I peered inside.

He looked... peaceful. I had assumed they had put him in a charmed sleep to help him heal because the Seb I knew never slept like this. His head was dropped slightly to the side as he breathed softly through his mouth. It was a deep sleep.

As I inched closer to him, I realised just how bad it was. They hadn't bothered to clean him up yet and there was blood splatters all down his chest. In addition to the scar I'd given him from stitching all along his side, there was now a large, red and angry looking series of stitches right down the centre of his chest too. It was perfectly surrounded by deep purple bruises, some very clear they were from a boot or a fist.

I told myself I could cry later... and that time was now. I let out everything I was holding in. His perfect body was torn, broke, hurt, opened and stitched up again and it was all my fault.

I crouched down beside him, taking his hand in mine and pressed my head to the bed before I sobbed into it. Sobs that were hurting as my body heaved up and down.

"I'm so sorry, Seb. This is my fault. This never should have happened. I'm sorry."

I kept repeating apologies. I didn't even know if he could hear me but I had to make sure he knew. I was sorry. And it was my fault.

I'm not sure when it happened, but I fell asleep beside him. His hand in mine and my head pressed against his arm.

"You're a sight for sore eyes."

My head sprung up to see morning sun and I had to rub my eyes to adjust and make sure what I was hearing was real.

Sebastian. My Sebastian. He was awake with a wide grin on his face. I don't know how he even managed to muster up a smile after everything.

"You're... you're alright?" I said, my voice laced with disbelief.

"I suppose you could call it that. I'm still breathing if that's what you mean by alright."

"Seb, I'm sorry... I–"

"Olive, if you say it's your fault one more time I'm putting myself back into a charmed sleep to never wake up. It is not your fault. You did nothing wrong."

I pursed my lips and stared at him. I didn't know what else to do other than apologise.

"I think we can collectively agree this is Marvolo's fault and mine for going after you but I had no choice. Look, we are both free now." He said gently.

"But at what cost, Sebastian? Look at you!" I said, pointing at his chest.

"So they had to crack me open to fix me up a bit, big deal. Just another one to add to my collection. Besides, I thought women thought scars were endearing... almost... sexy?" He smirked.

"Yeah! Sexy when they're mysterious! Like Professor Sharp's scar. It's not sexy when you know how it got there and watched it all happen!" I explained.

"Woah woah, wait a minute," he said holding up a hand, "Did you just call Sharp sexy?"

My mouth fell open to respond but my brain had apparently stopped functioning and no words were coming out. I did think Sharp was... handsome. His deep voice always tickled the right spots in my brain. But I didn't consider him sexy. Or apparently I did.

"I... I, uh no. It was merely an example." I offered up, hoping he'd accept my excuse.

"Right. Well, I'll forget you ever said that because next thing we know you'll be asking me to become an Auror." He shuddered at the thought.

"What do you want to do when we finish school? If we even get to. I'm frankly terrified to go back to Hogwarts." I asked, trying to divert the subject of my previous word vomit.

"I hadn't put much thought into it, Olive. All I know is I never want to be an Auror like my Uncle. So get those Professor Sharp fantasies out of your head." He laughed a genuine laugh. So hard he winced and pressed a hand over his fresh stitches.

I gave him a gentle whack on the arm, shaking my head slightly annoyed.

"I didn't mean he was sexy!" I defended myself again. But it was useless. I knew he'd never let me live it down.

He nodded, but with raised eyebrows. He didn't believe me.

I was glad he was in good spirits despite what had happened to him. A lesser man would have succumbed to the torture and begged for mercy. That was one of the things I loved about Sebastian (though it annoyed the shit out of me a lot), his optimism. With everything. He always saw a positive. For this? It was the fact he'd secured my safety and got me out mostly unharmed and unwed like he wanted.

"Are you alright, Olive? I realise we haven't really had a chance to speak about what happened." He asked, his tone becoming slightly more serious.

"I'm... I'm alright." I said plainly.

"You don't have to pretend like you are just because my physical state is worse than yours. Did he hurt you?" Sebastian asked.

"I had two broken ribs. He didn't lay hands on me, if that's what you're asking. He yanked me down from a high window when I tried to run for it."

"Is that all?" He asked, I suspected he knew I wasn't being entirely truthful.

It wasn't all. While he never got a chance to do anything more like I feared he would, Marvolo's fingers had tried to reach places that weren't for him. Prior to this, only myself and the man I was determined I was meant to be with forever had even seen a lick of skin beneath my clothes. I felt dirty. I hardly even wanted to admit to Sebastian that's what had happened. I don't even know if he was coherent enough to notice what I had actually been wearing when he got caught. I was petrified he'd see me differently now. That I was tainted.

"Yes."

He raised an eyebrow at me like he didn't believe me.

"You know, Olive. You can tell me anything. Whatever happened in there, it's not your fault. I'm not going to judge you for something out of your control."

What was this man, a mind reader?

"He... he tried." I admitted.

Sebastian reached out a hand and held mine, squeezing it tightly to reassure me.

"I'm sorry that happened. But please know, I still love you. It doesn't change how I feel about you. At all, alright?"

With a soft exhale, I managed a small smile. "Alright. Thank you. You always know the right things to say. You're very wise, you know that?" I laughed a little.

He squeezed my hand again, "I am. And that's what boyfriends are for, right?"

"Right. That and some other things." I added with a smirk.

His eyes widened as he realised exactly what I meant, "I swear, Olive, when I get out of here, I'll be definitely showing you what good boyfriends do. Especially ones with sexy scars."

I almost choked on air at his joke. I adored how he kept his spirits so high even when he was clearly in pain.

"Olive! There you are! I told them to check here first! Amateurs, honestly..."

It was Polly. The Welcome Witch from the front desk. I'd been busted.

"Sorry Ms. Ashburn. Everyone was being so vague, I needed to know if he was alright." I explained.

"The Healers are looking for you to do your last checks before they discharge you. I suggest you head back." Polly told me... well, directed me.

I drew my attention back to Sebastian for a moment, feeling absolutely terrified.

"I don't want to go back there without you. I'm scared. What if he comes back?" I whispered.

Sebastian shifted himself across the bed so he was closer to me with a low grunt. He was in pain. He pinched the neck of my hospital gown with his fingers and gently pulled me closer.

"Go back and find Ominis and then Professor Weasley. You need to tell her what happened but absolutely do not tell Black. He can't know. She will get you protection. I will be back as soon as I can. I promise." He pulled me closer again and gave me a deep and longing kiss. Something I desperately needed. I hadn't felt his lips on mine like that in so long, it was hurting me.

"Okay." I nodded, not wanting to leave.

I almost climbed into his bed and gave him a long, lingering hug, nestling my face into his hair. God, he desperately needed it washed. The dry blood wasn't pleasant and I almost wished I could have done it for him.

"I'll see you soon, yeah?" He said, almost pushing me off the bed.

I nodded and exchanged I love you's with him until Polly was practically dragging me out of the room.

She led me back to my own where I was met with the upturned noses and disgusted faces of a few Healers.

"Miss Raywood..." One began to scold me.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. But none of you would tell me how he was." I moaned, climbing myself back into bed.

They checked me over and deemed me well enough to leave. But since our injuries were so severe and none of us were particularly keen on giving up the details to a bunch of healers and Aurors who were likely under some power and influence of the Gaunt's, they organised for me to have an escort back to Hogwarts. Just in case.

After I was given a change of clothes and all my paperwork was sorted, I was greeted than none other than Professor Sharp. Sexy scar man. The timing couldn't be more perfect. I was just glad Sebastian wasn't here to see me turn bright red remembering our earlier conversation.

"Ah. Good to see my favourite potions student back in one piece. I'm glad you're alright. Mr. Weasley has been trying to take your place. It's rather insufferable, really." Sharp said.

I laughed, imagining Garreth doing exactly that.

"Anyway, are you ready to go?" Sharp asked me.

I wasn't.

"Yes, Professor."

Liar...

We travelled back to Scotland in mostly silence, Sharp apparating us both. He walked me straight back to the Slytherin common room and I had never been more grateful to see Ominis in my life.

I called his name out from across the common room, attracting the attention of all the other students gathered around, including Imelda who tried to push Ominis over to get to me first.

"Back off, Gaunt. She's my best friend!" She barked at him, Ominis backing away like he knew it was a fight he would never win.

"Hello, Imelda." I said exasperated as she squeezed me way too hard.

"I've been worried sick, are you alright? Where's Sebastian?" She said, asking me way too many questions way too quickly.

"He's fine, he will be back soon. I'm sure I'll be able to tell you soon what's happened."

She frowned and let me go, obviously expecting an explanation for my absence.

"I will, Imelda. I promise. I need to speak to Ominis now if you don't mind." I said, begging to be released from her grasps.

She groaned and admitted defeat, wandering back to her game of Wizards Chess.

"I'm glad you're alright, Olive. I came by before I left but you were asleep." He said.

"Oh. Thank you, you should have woken me, I would have loved to have seen you."

"I didn't want to disturb you. You looked like you needed the rest," Ominis replied, "but I'm relieved you're back now."

"Thank you. I spoke to Sebastian before I left. He wants us to speak to Professor Weasley. Tonight. And he doesn't want Black to know anything." I said, speaking softly enough.

"He was awake?" Ominis' eyes widened slightly.

"Yes. He was as well as he can be. Cracked a few jokes. I think he'll be just fine." I explained.

"Oh, thank Merlin. He was in a bad way when I left. They were about to take him to surgery. They said his ribs were in quite a state. Breaks and fractures in his sternum and punctured both lungs. I thought he was going to die."

Ominis chest heaved a little as he spoke, letting out a breath of relief.

"He'll be alright. But he wants to make sure we're safe, so we best go and see Professor Weasley now." I reassured him.

Ominis and I quickly left the common room and made our way to her classroom before she retired for the night.

"By the way, how did you and Sebastian coordinate that plan? That he'd swing at Marvolo before you ?" I asked as we walked.

Ominis let out a small chuckle. "He whispered it to me."

"Huh? I'd heard him muttering something but I thought maybe he was going mad." I said, shocked.

"He knows I can hear better than most. It's the blindness, darling. Why do you think I've caught you both so many times? It's a blessing but also a hindrance." He chuckled.

Well. Now I just felt bad for Ominis' ears when Sebastian purposefully told me to be loud.

Thankfully we were right outside Weasley's door so I didn't have to try and explain that it was his best friends fault.

I knocked and she called out to let ourselves in.

"Ah! Miss Raywood, Mr. Gaunt. I had been expecting a visit from you soon." She said, placing down her quill.

Both Ominis and I had puzzled looks on our faces. I know I'd been missing for a few days, but it was never unusual for me to go off without notice. Something they all seemed to turn a blind eye to.

"I had heard about your stay in St. Mungo's, Olive. And Sebastian is still there. What on Earth happened?" She asked.

I peered at Ominis and he was already nodding his head, giving me the okay to tell her what happened.

While I didn't go into the juicy details, I did let her know that we'd become entangled in a Gaunt family drama. Marvolo needed a wife and I ticked all the boxes. Sebastian got injured taking me back and that we were concerned Marvolo would come after us again.

"I'm sorry that has happened to you. I have actually spoken to Sebastian myself earlier today and he's expressed quite an urgency to protect you both. I suspect there's a lot more to this, but I don't wish to force you to divulge any details you don't want to. Now, I'm quite concerned about keeping this all from our Headmaster as Sebastian has requested... but I will try my best. Getting you all protection while you're here, where your brother knows your whereabouts, Ominis, without Professor Black knowing will be difficult... so I presented Sebastian with an alternative that he has agreed to. And I will offer it to you both too."

I was hardly able to absorb anything Professor Weasley was saying. She'd spoken to Sebastian and they were already scheming. Sebastian just couldn't ever take a break. And I was damn sure I'd give him a piece of my mind when I finally got back to see him.

"You spoke to Sebastian, Professor?" I asked.

"Yes. Shortly after your discharge, actually. You might be shocked to know I actually care about my students wellbeing. Which is why I've organised a transfer for you all if you wish to accept it." She explained.

"Uh- sorry, a transfer?" Ominis said, his posture shifting to one more uncomfortable.

"Yes. If you wish to accept the opportunity, I can have you transferred over to Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. In North America. You can finish your schooling there safely. There will be a lot less risk involved when not many know your whereabouts."

"Wait, you said Sebastian has accepted it?" I asked, probably way too loud for everyone. But I was utterly dumbfounded.

"Yes. He nearly leaped out of his bed at the suggestion actually. I will leave it with you both for now, come and see me tomorrow evening after your classes end and we will decide what to do from here."

Ominis and I left, thanking Professor Weasley for her efforts and for understanding our situation. As we walked back to the Slytherin common room, my mind was swirling. Ilvermorny? Transferring to a school halfway across the world? It was a drastic step, but considering Marvolo was probably waiting for us to step a single foot out of the castle grounds, maybe it was a necessary one.

"Can you believe her, Ominis? Ilvermorny? That's... that's so far away!" I exclaimed, still unable to fathom what that even meant for us.

"Give yourself a moment to consider it, Olive. It may be the only way to stay safe until this blows over." Ominis said.

Was everyone around me mad? They were actually considering this.

"I just... I don't know, Ominis. It's a big decision, and what about Sebastian? He's already agreed to go and he didn't even talk to us first!" I scrambled.

Ominis let out a soft sigh. "I think Sebastian has his reasons for wanting to leave, ones he might not have shared with Professor Weasley. And knowing him, he's probably thinking about your safety above all else."

I sighed deeply. Sebastian's fierce protectiveness was something I cherished, but it also made me worry about what he might be scheming, what lengths he would go to keep me safe. He needed to keep himself safe too.

I bid Ominis goodnight and actually had to sleep in my own dormitory. I had considered sleeping in Sebastian's bed for a brief moment, just to bring myself comfort but that was ridiculous. Though I wished I'd grabbed a pillow or two from his bed when it had reached 2am and I still couldn't sleep.

I didn't tell Ominis I was visiting Sebastian the next morning. I didn't tell Sebastian I was visiting Sebastian the next morning.

I startled him as he ate his breakfast.

"Fuck, Olive. I didn't expect to see you here. But I am glad to see you... what's wrong?" His face dropped as he looked at my pissed off face.

"Ilvermorny? Really?" I scoffed.

He sighed and pushed his tray aside, scooting over so I could sit next to him on the bed, patting it softly with one hand.

I begrudgingly pulled myself into the bed and under the sheets and he tucked me under his arm. He smelt clean. They'd finally washed him.

Thank God.

"I wanted to talk to you about it, but Weasley seemed like she needed an answer so she could get the ball rolling. I can always change my mind if it's not something you want. It's going to be the best way to protect you. You'll be harder to track down if you're not in the country."

He did have a point. I knew Marvolo would be seeking revenge. He wanted Sebastian's head on a stick. He wanted the satisfaction of ending his life and taking his girlfriend to make a wife out of her.

"Maybe I could just change my name." I laughed softly.

Sebastian chuckled slightly, but then remained silent.

"What? You don't want me to? I could go by something like... Lavender Smith. Totally ordinary." I grinned, trying to lighten the mood.

"But I like you as Olive." He frowned.

"Well... maybe Olive Smith then." I suggested.

"Olive Sallow." He said plainly.

"Wh-what?" I said, trying to pull away from his grasp, but he just held me tighter.

"Olive Sallow," Sebastian repeated with a small smile.

My heart skipped a beat as his words sunk in. Sallow. His last name.

"Sebastian, you're serious?" I asked, completely shocked.

He nodded, his fingers tracing light patterns on my arm.

"That... that means..."

"Marriage."

The word hung in the air, thick and hard to swallow and I found myself struggling to breathe. My heart raced as I looked at Sebastian, trying to comprehend just what he was suggesting. Marriage wasn't something we had ever discussed, and now he was bringing it up as a solution to our predicament.

"Sebastian, I... I..." I stammered, my mind racing.

"Olive, I know it's sudden and maybe not the most conventional proposal, but I want you to be safe. I want to protect you, and if that means we have to take this step, then I'm willing to do it."

"Wait, is this a proposal?" I said, my voice growing louder and my fight to get out of his arms to stare him down growing more frantic.

"I suppose it sort of is. I know we never spoke about it, but let's be honest, we were always going to get married anyway." He smiled, his hand squeezing my arm gently.

The idea of marrying Sebastian was both exhilarating and overwhelming. We were young, still in school, and yet the world around us had thrust us into a situation that demanded we make adult decisions.

"Marriage... that's a life-long thing, you know that, right? I don't want to do this out of obligation to keep me safe." I said, stupidly.

"Yes. Marriage typically is for life. That's why I'm so confident in asking you to do it with me. But this isn't about Marvolo for once. This is about you and me."

Holy fuck.

"I don't know what to say, this is... probably the last thing I expected to happen today." I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Honestly, me too," Sebastian admitted with a chuckle.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart and scrambled thoughts.

"God, this is madness..." I muttered to myself.

I buried my head deeper into his side and sighed deeply, my nose nuzzling his soft skin.

"Okay."

"What was that?" He said. 

I could just feel the dirty little smirk across his face. I knew he'd heard me. He just wanted me to say it louder.

"Okay. I'll marry you then."

Sebastian's face lit up with joy and relief, and I felt his arms tighten around me even more, if that was even possible.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

I lifted my head and our eyes met, feeling a warmth spreading through my chest. "Yes, Sebastian. I'm sure. I love you, and if this is the path we have to take to stay together and protect each other, then I'm all in."

He laid a series of kisses all over my face, practically rolling me over onto my back.

"Seb, mind the stitches. And this time I'm serious. I'm not stitching them back up for you and I'm certain you don't want to explain this to a Healer." I laughed as our mouths remained pressed together.

Sebastian chuckled against my lips. "I'm not fucking you in a hospital bed, don't worry."

We shared a moment, our lips pressed together, our hearts racing, and the pressure of the decision we had just made sinking in.

"I love you so much, Olive. Thank you for sticking by me all this time." He said, rolling back onto his side and supporting his head with his elbow.

I love you too, Sebastian," I replied, "And I'll always stick by you, no matter what. I haven't left yet so I think you're safe."

We laid there, side by side, staring at each other with love in our eyes. As I traced circles on his chest, soothing the bruises with my finger, I couldn't help but smile. "So, I guess we're really doing this. Marrying to stay safe?"

Sebastian's smiled softly, his hand finding mine and intertwining our fingers. "And love! But, yeah, we are. And you know, someday when we look back at this, we'll have one hell of a story to tell."

I laughed, "That's for sure. 'Olive and Sebastian and the not-so-thought-through-proposal in a Hospital Bed.'"

Sebastian chuckled along with me. "Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

"Hm. Speaking of rings..." I began with a smirk.

"Don't worry, I'll get you one. For now, I can offer you this string."

He yanked a thread off the sheets below him and took my hand, wrapping it around my ring finger.

"You're an idiot." I laughed, though I accepted the gesture.

"Wrong. I'm your idiot. Though, I'd argue that you are the idiot considering you just agreed to marry me."

I tried hard not to laugh and pretended to be mad. But I guess we were just two fucking idiots in love.

I really did need to go back to Hogwarts... this was only supposed to be a quick visit. But I had a fiance now. Class could fucking wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 152 8
In which Sebastian, in his search for a cure in the Dark Arts, finds himself 100 years into the future and meets his most trusted companion's descend...
416K 11.4K 65
''You seriously need to stop calling me your friend,'' Sebastian tells me in a low voice. ''Then what should I call you?'' I ask curiously. My stomac...
300 27 21
This story follows Willow Starling, a student in her final year at Hogwarts. She and Sebastian Sallow had been friends throughout their time at Hogwa...
300 29 14
A Hogwarts legacy fanfic focused on Reader×Sebastian. Story contains mature contents and subjects. Also beware for spoilers of the game. This story...