Risk // Sebastian Sallow

By ginger_lala

Olive is distraught after the events of her first year attending Hogwarts. Just when she thought things were... More

Welcome
Chapter 1: Nightmares
Chapter 2: Sunrise
Chapter 3: Crossed Wands
Chapter 4: The Room
Chapter 5: St Mungos
Chapter 6: You Love Her
Chapter 7: The Bet
Chapter 8: Shit Families
Chapter 9: Hungover
Chapter 10: Treasure Hunters
Chapter 11: Date*
Chapter 12: Reconciliation*
Chapter 13: Potions
Chapter 14: Detention*
Chapter 15: The Promise
Chapter 16: I've Never*
Chapter 17: Mandrakes
Chapter 18: Recovery
Chapter 19: Scones
Chapter 20: Jealous Games*
Chapter 21: Confessions
Chapter 22: The Boat House
Chapter 23: Second Date
Chapter 24: Third Date*
Chapter 25: Library*
Chapter 26: Christmas
Chapter 27: Christmas Pt. 2
Chapter 28: Christmas Pt. 3*
Chapter 29: Fort
Chapter 30: Grovelling
Chapter 31: Goblin Deals
Chapter 32: Gaunt
Chapter 33: Done Deal*
Chapter 34: Wishful Thinking
Chapter 35: Bittersweet
Chapter 36: Sebastian's Return*
Chapter 37: Empty Hourglass
Chapter 38: The Stages of Grief
Chapter 39: The Third Artefact
Chapter 40: Gaunt Manor
Chapter 41: No One Else*
Chapter 42: Realm
Chapter 43: Chivalrous
Chapter 44: Marvolo
Chapter 46: Pain
Chapter 47: Changes
Chapter 48: Big Choices
Chapter 49: The Perfect Day*
Chapter 50: The Last Night
Chapter 51: Veela
Chapter 52: New Places*
Chapter 53: Careers
Chapter 54: Space
Chapter 55: All Hallows Eve*
Chapter 56: The Morning After
Chapter 57: End of an Era
Chapter 58: New York
Chapter 59: The Auror Programme
Chapter 60: Learning*
Chapter 61: Letters
Chapter 62: Rebelling
Chapter 63: The Task
Chapter 64: Liberation
Chapter 65: I'm Ready*
Chapter 66: Three Galleons
Chapter 67: Excitement
Chapter 68: Delaying
Chapter 69: Trial
Chapter 70: I Screamed
Chapter 71: Home
Chapter 72: Adjusting
Chapter 73: Eloise's First Day
Chapter 74: Building Bridges
Chapter 75: Rekindling*
Chapter 76: Growing
Chapter 77: Old Names
Chapter 78: Reckless Sebastian
Chapter 79: Deja Vu
Chapter 80: Escape
Chapter 81: Commitments
Chapter 82: Professor
Chapter 83: The Countdown
Chapter 84: The Sallow Home*
Chapter 85: Epilogue
Chapter 86: Epilogue Part 2 - Ominis & Lawson
ALTERNATE ENDING
ALTERNATE ENDING - Epilogue

Chapter 45: The Heist

716 15 50
By ginger_lala

Sebastian

My attempt at lurching forward to try and grab Olive from Marvolo's grasp was pointless. He's whipped her away in an instant and I was left laying on the floor, screaming profanities. At myself. At Ominis. At anyone or anything.

"She's fucking gone, Ominis! You told me he doesn't hurt for no reason! Look at what he's done! He's fucking kidnapped her!" I was screaming. It was loud.

"Sebastian... I-"

"You what, Ominis? Are you going to defend him now, too? What the fuck do I do?! I don't know where she is! Where has he taken her? Tell me!" I had grabbed Ominis by the collar now and was shaking him, as if that was going to jostle an answer out of him.

"S-Sebastian. P-please, I don't know!" Ominis said, trying to snatch himself back out of my hands.

I let go of him and fell onto my knees, slamming my head into the ground.

"This is why I didn't want to get into a relationship with her! Everyone I love gets hurt! Fuck! Fuck!"

Normally when this shit happened, Olive was here to calm me and talk me through it. But she wasn't. She was why I was having this panic attack.

It was up to me to ground myself as much as I could. To focus my breathing.

"Sebastian? Are you alright?" Ominis said, obviously sensing that I wasn't alright.

"Shh." I managed to let out, squeezing my eyes shut and tilting my head back.

Tears threatened to breach the defences of my closed eyes as I tried to picture Olive kneeling in front of me, hands on my shoulders. I focused on her voice, she was telling me I was alright. That she was here and that I was safe. She counted my breathing with me and I inhaled deeply then exhaled. Five times. Like we always did.

I let my eyes open and adjust to the light and remembered that she wasn't in front of me and that I had let the tears spill down my face.

"Sebastian... are you okay?" Ominis was instead crouching in front of me.

"Yeah. Sorry." I said, wiping the tears with the sleeve of my shirt.

"Does that happen often?" He asked me softly.

"Yep." I replied casually, as if it was no big deal.

No one knew how I suffered like that except for Olive. I was normally pretty good at hiding those things.

We stayed silent for a moment while I continued to concentrate on my breathing and not the fact Olive had been just been kidnapped.

"...I'm sorry." Ominis mumbled.

"It's fine. I've learned to deal." I said.

"Yes, but you shouldn't have to suffer like that. And I'm sorry so much has happened in your life to make you feel like you can't let yourself be happy with the person who is clearly your soulmate because of it."

Ominis's genuine concern touched a nerve deep within me. I knew that Ominis was right — my past traumas shouldn't dictate my present and future happiness with Olive. But the fear of losing her, just like I'd lost so many others, had always been a haunting presence in the back of my mind. I was convinced it was me that was cursed and everyone I loved was going to suffer and die because of it. And it was hard not to continue thinking that way when Olive was literally just snatched from my grasp.

"Yeah, well, life has a funny way of screwing with your plans," I muttered.

"Sebastian, we will get her back. And you will love her how you have done for the past year because it's what you both deserve. I won't let you not do that for her. You know she'll need you more than ever after this, when she's back in your arms."

Ominis's words were helping. With every word he uttered, I felt a very slight touch of hope forming in my brain.

"I want to believe that," I admitted.

Ominis placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Sebastian, you will. But for now we can't focus on your existential crisis. We need to find her. Alright? Then we will work out the rest."

"Alright," I said, my voice steadier now. "But I don't even know where to begin."

"Have you forgotten I'm his brother? I know he has a home somewhere. He goes there when father becomes too much for him. I just don't know where it is. But I have no doubt he's taken her there. I'm certain he takes everyone he kidnaps there." Ominis said with not as much concern as I'd have liked.

"He kidnaps people frequently enough he has an entire house for them? What the fuck, Ominis!"

"Well, no, it's mostly muggles who piss him off. They don't last there very long. I hear my parents talk about it." Ominis explained.

"He's going to kill her?!" I yelled.

"No! I don't think so. I think he sees her as more of a way to appease my father. Marry a pretty girl from a pureblood family."

"But she's not a pureblood?" I said, incredibly confused.

"Well, he doesn't know that. He thinks she's a Rosier."

Marvolo's twisted motivations became slightly clearer, but the urgency of the situation was as dire as ever. He wasn't going to kill her, he was going to force her into marriage. And if he did happen to find out she wasn't a pureblood... well I didn't even want to think about it. "We have to find her, Ominis. We can't waste any more time."

Ominis looked to be deep in thought for a moment as he tried to come up with a plan. I was itching to leave, to do something. But I knew we needed a plan of attack first. I couldn't really run around to every home in the remote areas of the UK and door knock asking if I could please have my girlfriend back.

You probably could...

No, I needed Ominis. I couldn't do this without him.

"Ominis, does your father know where it would be?" I asked, potentially thinking of a plan.

Ominis furrowed his brows in thought, "My father might have an idea of where Marvolo's hideout is, but getting that information from him won't be easy. He's deeply enmeshed in Marvolo's schemes, and he's not someone who readily gives up information."

"So, what do we do?" I asked.

"We could go there, tell them it's for a regular visit. But I don't know how I'll get him to talk. That man is like stone." Ominis said, his hands clasping and unclasping. He was clearly nervous.

"I have some leftover Veritaserum." I said casually.

"Why do you have that? And why is it leftover?" Ominis asked with a raised eyebrow.

Ah. Fuck.

"N...no reason. I tried it on Weasley once. For a laugh." I said, trying to sound earnest.

Ominis raised an eyebrow at my response, clearly skeptical but not pursuing the matter further. "Alright, if you think that could work. But even with Veritaserum, we need to be careful. My father is cunning, and he's well-versed in dealing with these things."

I hurried back to my dormitory, grabbing the extra bottle of Veritaserum I'd had from when I brewed it to find out about the ring. I tucked it deep into my pocket and led Ominis out of the castle.

"I'll apparate us there." I told Ominis as we left the castle gates.

Ominis nodded. We found a secluded spot just outside the grounds of the castle, away from prying eyes. Taking a deep breath, I focused hard, trying to put the swirling thoughts and what-ifs out of my mind so as to not splinch Ominis. With a swift pop, we were suddenly staring down Ominis' home again.

"I'll go first. Try and convince them we are here for a reason." Ominis said.

I followed him into the house, trying my absolute best to not incendio the place to the ground. I knew the Gaunts were awful people, but the shit I had learned about them in the past two days had me feeling sick to the stomach.

"Ominis? What are you doing back here? It's the middle of term." His mother said, shocked to see Ominis home.

"I know. I had a few things I'd left here when we were here last." Ominis explained.

His mother shrugged and carried on about her business.

"The elves will have dinner ready soon if you'd both like to eat before you go." She called behind her.

Perfect.

"I'll head down to the kitchens, we have a house elf who's a tad more... partial to me. She'll help me with the potion." Ominis said. I nodded and slipped the veritaserum into his hand and I watched him wander off.

I took myself to the drawing room, scanning the surroundings as I stood there alone. I'd been here a few times in the past, but I'd never taken too much notice of everything. There was a wall of bookshelves, but it was scarcely bare. Not a single book that wasn't written by a wizard, a pureblood one at that. No fiction books, nothing. All I could think about was how much they were missing out on. I was becoming fluent in French thanks to Olive and her Christmas gift, a book written by a muggle. And suddenly I found myself growing upset thinking that I may never hear her whispering French words in my ear again as she attempted to teach them to me in the Undercroft late at night.

I shook the thoughts out of my head. We were getting her back. Alive and unmarried.

"Sebastian. Let's go." Ominis said as he popped his head around the corner. I followed Ominis to the formal dining room and the two of us sat in the middle of the table with his mother and father on either end. It was clear they didn't talk much.

I already felt awful for Ominis. But this was just saddening. I imagine this is what his family dinners were always like. Dry and uncomfortable. A stark contrast to mine. My parents purposefully had a smaller table so we all had to sit close. And we weren't allowed to leave the table until all of us had said something we learned that day. Even my mother and father. I'd give anything to have one last dinner like that with them.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" His father asked, daring to avert his eyes from his dinner plate.

Ominis glanced at his father, a somewhat strained smile on his face. "I had some personal matters to attend to, father."

His father grunted in response, seemingly disinterested, and continued eating in silence. The tension was high, and I could feel Ominis's discomfort.

"Where's Marvolo?" Ominis dared to ask.

"I don't know." He received another grunt in response.

"I had hoped to catch up with him tonight. Doesn't he have his own home?" Ominis asked.

His father placed his fork and knife down carefully and eyed Ominis up and down. "No, what's with the questions?"

Why wasn't the serum working? At that point he should be telling us everything. And I knew the potion worked because I used it on Ominis.

"I merely wanted to see my brother." Ominis replied, shutting the conversation down.

Dinner ended abruptly. His father was pissed. His mother was pissed that we'd pissed off his father. And we were no closer to finding out where Olive was.

But I had one more idea.

"Ominis, is your father an Occlumens?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe? I made sure the elf put it in his drink."

"Well, I have one more idea... but I don't think you'll like it."

Ominis paused for a moment and exhaled deeply, probably realising that he indeed wasn't going to like it.

"What is it, Sebastian?" He huffed.

I paused, debating even asking his permission, "I could use Imperio."

"Sebastian! Are you insane? Why would you even ask such a thing?!" Ominis reacted exactly how I thought he would.

"Well, have you got any other bright ideas?" I scoffed.

Ominis stood completely still, I could almost hear the cogs in his brain turning over.

"Ominis?" I asked, trying to get an answer out of him.

"... no." He admitted softly.

"I will do it. I'll take all responsibility." I assured him.

"This sounds oddly familiar to a conversation I believe I've had with you and Olive before." Ominis laughed. And I laughed.

It seemed odd to laugh in a situation like this, but also felt comforting.

"Fine. Do it. If it means we will find Olive... then do it." Ominis admitted defeat.

We left the empty dining room and quietly made our way to where his father had gone after dinner - his study. We cast the disillusionment charm on ourselves and nudged the door open. The room was dimly lit, with dusty shelves lined with ancient-looking books. A large desk sat in the center of the room, covered in parchments and quills.

"Are you sure about this, Sebastian?" Ominis asked once more.

"We need to find her, Ominis. I can't just sit around waiting while Marvolo does who knows what to her."

I stepped closer to the desk where Ominis's father was sitting, engrossed in some paperwork. I took a deep breath, raised my wand, and cast the Imperius Curse.

"Where is Marvolo's hideout?" I asked sternly.

Ominis's father blinked a few times confused, and then his eyes seemed to glaze over slightly. He looked up at me with an eerie vacant expression.

"It is hidden in the forest. In Dorset."

"Can you give us specific directions?" I asked.

"It is protected by wards. Only Marvolo can bypass them," he stated.

This was frustrating. We needed more information, but it seemed like his father's mind was protecting Marvolo, even under the Imperius Curse.

"Sebastian, maybe we should ask him about Olive directly," Ominis suggested.

I nodded, "Where is Olive Ray... uh, Rosier?" I asked.

His father's expression shifted slightly, fighting against the curse. "I... don't know."

"Tell the truth," I commanded.

His father's eyes widened for a moment, and his voice seemed to regain a bit of its own will. "I... genuinely do not know where she is."

It appeared that Ominis's father did have Occlumency skills after all as he put up a fight against the Curse. And we were at a dead end once again with one small lead... that was protected by wards.

"We're wasting time here, Sebastian," Ominis whispered, "We need to go to Dorset and search for Marvolo's house ourselves."

I nodded. "You're right. Let's get out of here before we're caught."

I lifted the curse and quickly left before he came to and we left the house immediately.

"I don't know my way around Dorset." I admitted, "I've never been there."

"I have." Ominis said, "I didn't realise it was Marvolo's home until father said it just now. I thought we were visiting family. This was a few years ago."

"So you have somewhat of an idea?"

"I do. If we can get onto a train from London to Dorset, I'm certain we'll be able to get there."

"Great." I wasted no time dragging Ominis along.

I knew Ominis' home was close to London, but how close I had no idea so I went to where I knew. St Mungos.

"You apparition skills are getting better, think you might get your license soon before you get us arrested?" Ominis asked with a tone of seriousness.

"Hm, nah." I tried to smile, averting my eyes from the direction of the hospital.

"We need to find the train station," Ominis said, his voice pulling me back to the present.

"Right." I nodded, anxiety flowing through me.

We made our way to the bustling streets of London, blending in with the crowd of wizards, witches and muggles alike going about their business.

Following the signs, we navigated through the busy streets until we reached the entrance of the train station.

"The train to Dorset is this way," I said, leading Ominis through the bustling station.

I purchased our tickets and made our way to the platform where the train to Dorset was waiting. As we boarded the train and found our seats, I couldn't help but feel incredibly anxious. He said there was wards on the house. I had read about breaking them before... but I had never tried. And there was so many protection spells, I didn't know which one would work.

The train ride was long, and my mind was swirling. Ominis managed to shut his eyes for a moment and find sleep. Or so I thought.

"Sebastian, we'll find her," Ominis said, as if he was reading my thoughts. "We won't let Marvolo hurt her."

I sighed deeply, hoping he was right.

The trip into Dorset took all night and we pulled into the next station early the next morning. Ominis had actually managed a moments rest, but I didn't. I doubted I would be getting any at all until I knew she was safe.

As we disembarked, I took in the landscape before us. Dorset was different from the bustling city. It exuded a quiet charm with its quaint villages and rolling hills. It was hard to believe that Marvolo's hidden lair was there somewhere.

I'd purchased a map from the train station, though it was likely going to be useless considering Ominis couldn't really just point out the location on a map. But at least I could mark where we had been to narrow down our search

"So, where to, Omi? East? South?" I asked, trying to get a bearing for what way we needed to head.

"I believe it's directly north."

God he better be right because I had no fucking idea where we were. Ominis also failed to mention just how far away this house was because we walked all damn day until night began to fall. I was also ill-prepared but like it was fate, we stumbled upon a tiny inn. Which had one room to spare.

"Sorry lads, it's one bed though."

I laughed and Ominis scoffed.

"We'll take it. Thank you." I said, collecting the key from the inn keeper.

I peered over at Ominis as we made our way upstairs and laughed again.

"Oh, relax Ominis. I probably won't get sleep anyway, you can have the bed." I rolled my eyes.

"Sebastian, you've been awake for almost 2 days. You need sleep. If you want to take Marvolo on, you need to rest."

Ugh. I hated when Ominis was right.

We entered the small room, Ominis urged me to rest, and he was right. My body felt exhausted, and the thought of lying down on an actual bed was almost tempting. I glanced at Ominis, and he offered me a reassuring smile.

"Fine," I finally relented, "But only if you promise to wake me if anything happens."

Ominis chuckled. "Deal. Now get some rest."

I nodded, shedding my coat and boots before collapsing onto the bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, fatigue swept over me swiftly. My eyes closed, and I was quickly pulled into a deep and dreamless sleep.

Hours passed, and when I woke, it was still dark outside. The room was lit by a dim light from the candles. I could hear the distant sounds of the wind rustling through the trees and a very dull buzz of voices from the common area of the inn. The weariness that had me in a chokehold seemed to have dissipated a bit, and I felt more rested than I had in days.

I sat up slowly, rubbing my eyes and taking a moment to collect my thoughts.

The door to the room creaked open, and Ominis entered, a tray in hand with two steaming mugs of tea. How he managed to navigate his way up here with those, I had no idea.

"Couldn't sleep either?" I asked with a half-smile.

He shook his head as he handed me a mug. "No. I've been thinking about those wards."

"Oh? Care to share your thoughts?" I asked, blowing on the tea as I sipped it.

"Well, how on Earth are we going to break them? I don't know the first thing about protection spells!"

I remained silent, a smirk on my lips.

"... but let me guess, you do?"

"Ah. You know me too well, Ominis." I let out a small laugh. "I know a bit. Some counter charms. I'm hoping at least one will work."

"Well, what other choice do we have?" Ominis said.

Ahh. I loved this new Ominis. The rebel. The rule-breaker. The hype man.

"And we'll also need to think about how to approach Marvolo once we're inside," Ominis added, tapping his fingers against his cup.

"I was thinking I just beat the shit out of him with my bare hands..." I said, half-joking, half-serious.

"Sebastian! You know he's stronger than you."

"Excuse yourself, Ominis! Have you seen these things?" I said, reaching out to grab his hands and lay them on my biceps.

"Oh, fuck off Sebastian." Ominis said, yanking his hand back... with a small laugh. A win in my books.

We waited up until dawn and gathered out things, checking out of the inn and leaving quickly. We continued on the path Ominis had laid out and walked for hours. I was suddenly grateful Ominis had suggested I actually lie down for a few hours because the sun was already telling me we were well into the afternoon.

"Wait. Do you hear that?" Ominis said, putting a hand out to stop me.

I immediately halted in my tracks. I strained to listen but all I could hear was the rustling leaves and distant calls of birds filling the air.

"Nope."

"It's a buzzing sound. It's soft but it's there." Ominis said.

"The wards?" I asked.

"I think so. Can you see anything?"

"Just empty space, mate." I said.

We both stood in silence, until I had an idea.

"Wait," I looked around and found some small rocks on the ground. I collected them in my palm and began to toss them one by one in every direction.

My third throw hit something. It made a loud buzzing noise and disintegrated mere metres in front of us.

"Thank fuck you stopped us, Ominis. We nearly walked into that." I said, tossing another rock to be sure as it did the same thing.

I took my wand out of my back pocket, gripping it tightly. The incantation I had in mind was one that I had come across a few times in my research for Anne. It was a counter-spell designed to unravel protective enchantments. Something I deemed utterly useless at the time, but I was now grateful I'd persevered and read that chapter.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment, centering myself and pushing aside the doubts that threatened to creep in. When I opened them, I focused on the invisible barrier before us.

Taking a deep breath, I began to chant the incantation. It was meant to counteract Protego totalum. Probably the simplest of protection charms.

I persevered as the barrier pushed back, fighting against the barrier until I almost toppled forward. My spell had broken the seal. I pushed my wand up and around, almost like I was cutting a hole in the shield. I made it just big enough for Ominis and I to climb through and when I yanked him through the hole, I could finally see what we were faced with.

A huge home. Beautifully decorated with manicured and expansive gardens.

"What the fuck..." I muttered to myself, taking in the surroundings.

"Are we in?" Ominis asked softly.

"Yep. We are."

I pressed forward, feeling incredibly overwhelmed and not knowing where to even start, but we headed towards the entry.

The mansion's massive doors were suddenly right in front of me, their intricate designs somehow more spooky up close. We stood before them, both breathing heavily. We were so close. There was no turning back now. We both cast disillusionment on ourselves and I desperately wished I had now thought to bring the cloak.

With a deep breath, I pushed open one of the doors silently, and we stepped into the mansion's foyer. The interior was as extravagant as the exterior, adorned with dark wood and rich fabrics that seemed to absorb the light rather than reflect it.

"We need to find her," I whispered to Ominis, "We should split."

"Alright." Ominis agreed.

"If you get into trouble, cast periculum." I instructed him.

"And what about you? You know I can't see that." Ominis said.

"I know. Don't worry about me." I reassured him.

He sighed, but realised there was no use fighting with me. I also had no idea how I would contact him. But I was certain I wouldn't need it.

I gave Ominis a hug, holding him tight and squeezing him. I felt him tense uncomfortable beneath my touch but he reciprocated.

"Be safe." I whispered in his ear.

"You too."

"I'm glad you're my brother." I said. 

I almost teared up. I owed Ominis my life for this. But I would explain that to him later, when I had Olive back safe. No use being all sappy now.

Ominis pat me on the back a bit harder, like he understood before he let me go and we split.

I went left, very quickly becoming overwhelmed by the sheer amount of rooms and corridors.

After what felt like hours, I swore I could hear voices. Just as I decided to investigate, the door at the end of the corridor swung open and a little house elf emerged carrying an empty tray of food and dirty clothes.

Maybe she was heading somewhere helpful. Or I could ask her if she seemed nice enough.

I snuck behind her, ending up right next to the kitchen. Now was my chance. As if Marvolo would ever enter a damned kitchen. I pushed the door softly behind her. But I was yanked back and tossed to the ground with a thump.

"How did you get in her, you little snake?"

Fuck! Could nothing ever go my way?

Marvolo pointed his wand at me and lifted my charm, revealing me to him.

"You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?" He barked.

I felt a boot collide with my stomach. I hunched over.

"She doesn't love you."

The boot collided with my ribs. I curled myself up into a ball.

"She belongs to me."

The boot collided with my back. I spat out blood.

"And I'll make sure it stays that way. I hope you've said your last goodbyes."

The boot collided with the back of my head. I'm not sure what I did this time. Because my vision went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 1K 43
18+ aged up, slow burn, Sebastian Sallow x Original Character book. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ It had been years since Scarlett...
5.8K 395 19
Katherine Hawthorne hoped for a normal term at Hogwarts after the borderline romantic summer she spent with her favorite Slytherin, but she felt like...
18.9K 827 73
Primrose Callahan is recruited by the Ministry of Magic and given a time-turner with one job - stop a version of events that leads to a Wizarding War...
47.4K 1.8K 15
A good girl gone bad kind of story. Everyone told her to be careful around him. Even his best friend. But in the end, Sebastian Sallow had been an...