[Complete] Noise and Kisses {...

By StephAwrites

When Holly Taylor moves back to the quiet suburban neighbourhood she grew up, she struggles to find a reason... More

Playlist
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52

44

28 2 0
By StephAwrites

The next morning as I wait for the bus to uni, my head is pounding from mixing drinks. Feeling a little worse for wear, I reach out to Leila. I need all the carbs to soak up the alcohol.

Hey, you at uni today?

Nope, are you?

Yeah, but just the one class this morning – fancy meeting for lunch?

Yes! Let me know when you're heading back and we can meet at Mario's x

The girl has good taste. Mario's is a charming café that serves the best all day breakfast and the thought of it had my mouth salivating already. As I daydream of a full English, my phone starts to ring. It's Ben.

"Good morning!" he says uncharacteristically chirpy.

"Morning... you sound... happy, everything ok?" I ask, a little huskily.

"And you sound hungover... how are you feeling?"

"Like there's not enough Ibuprofen in the world to cure this headache, but otherwise good." He laughs.

"Did you have a good night?" he asks, and I can tell it's a leading question.

"I did..."

"What... er..."

"Nothing happened, Ben."

His relief is audible.

"Cool, cool, cool... oh, hey, I called Lizzi this morning, broke it off with her."

"Over the phone?!" I ask, surprised.

"Yeah... it was no big deal... we were clearly using each other. And I have no use for her anymore."

"Oh, you old romantic!" The bus arrives and I hop on, swiping my oyster card and selecting one of the few seats left.

"Hey, I can be romantic!"

"Can you?"

"No idea! But I could give it a go... for the right girl."

I giggle. "Prove it."

"Challenge accepted. Anyway, I just wanted to ring and say 'Hi' and to see if you and Leila were planning to go to Bristol this weekend?"

"Oh... I don't think so..."

"It's just that I spoke to Pete, and I think he might be missing Leila. It would be nice to get her there...?"

I knew he was lying but didn't want him to know that Pete and I had spoken.

"Isn't it a 'lad's weekend'? I think she'd much prefer to go next weekend when it's just the two of them."

"Boring! But fair enough. Would you mind if I called and text you over the weekend?"

A cheshire cat-sized grin spreads across my face. "Sure, I'd like that."

"Awesome. Well, have a good day."

"You too, bye."

I reach uni and head straight to buy a coffee the size of my head. As I stand in the queue, deciding between getting it hot or iced, an angry voice calls my name.

"Holly!"

I turn to see Lizzi, who's looking absolutely furious.

"Yeah?"

"What the fuck did you say to Ben?" Her body language is seriously feisty, and I instinctively stand a little taller.

"What are you talking about?" I reply, feigning innocence.

"He called me this morning to tell me he wasn't feeling it anymore. What did you say to him?"

"Lizzi, Ben's a big boy, he does whatever he wants to do..."

"I know you said something, TELL ME!"

"I didn't have to tell him anything! He saw you in the pub last night, all over that lead singer!" I immediately regret my honesty.

"You called him?!" her eyes are wild, and she looks a little like she might punch me in the face.

I shake my head. "No, I didn't."

She scoffs. "You act like you're so innocent, I bet he loves that... but you've picked the wrong bitch to mess with. Watch your back." She turns and walks away, leaving me feeling exposed and embarrassed.

"What can I get you?" the barista asks.

"The biggest, iced black coffee you do, please."

***

After what felt like the longest Screenwriting lesson ever, I decide to give Ben a call.

"Twice in one day, I'm a lucky man Miss Taylor."

"You're weird when you're happy," I say teasingly. Ben laughs.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, fine... Lizzi came up to me before class, blaming me for your call this morning and telling me to watch my back. I'm afraid I let slip that you saw her on that guy last night."

He groans. "It's fine, she's already messaged me at least a dozen times calling me a piece of shit... she'll get over it."

"Wow, I thought you'd be more... bothered, or something?" I say, confused by his nonchalant reaction. "Nope... I told you yesterday, I'm not fucking around. I'm going to prove I'm worthy of you."

My cheeks blush.

"Are you still there?"

"Yes... just smiling."

"Good. I'd like to make you smile a lot more. What are your plans for the rest of the day?" "I'm meeting Leila to eat the biggest breakfast you've ever seen and then back home to watch rubbish."

"Ooh, classy! Well, enjoy all the food and shit TV. I'll call you later."

I hang up and text Leila to let her know I'm on my way before popping on my headphones. Hangovers call for one thing, and one thing only: Taylor motherflipping Swift.

When I get inside Mario's, Leila is already there, all glossy hair and big blue eyes, like a Disney cartoon. I, on the other hand, look like I just crawled out from the bins around the back.

"God, I hate you!" I say, taking a seat. "You look amazing, as always."

"Aww, thanks mate! You... look hungover. Did you have a nice night? Give me all the gossip!"

"There's so much to tell you, but first, I need food!"

I order a full English breakfast with toast, a coffee and one of their fresh juices... for the health. As soon as the toast arrives, I tuck straight in.

"Right, you've got some bloody food, now tell me!"

"OK," I say, chewing.

I fill her in on everything and at the end, she gasps.

"OHMYGOD! I can't believe it! That's amazing news!"

"I know... still early days, he's got a lot to prove. But he called me this morning and was so happy. It was... weird. But in a good way."

"This makes so much sense... Pete called me earlier to say that Ben called him in a really good mood, telling him how much he's looking forward to seeing him this weekend."

"Aww, that's so sweet. Ben tried to get us to go this weekend, but I said no."

"Why?!" Leila exclaims, before taking a bite of her omelette.

"Because they need some boy time and you need your first meet up with Pete, alone, next weekend."

"So, what's next for you and Ben?"

"I have no idea... but I'm just happy that he's getting clean."

She smiles. "So happy for him, and for you... are you gonna eat your bacon?"

"Nope, take it."

"I can't believe you hate bacon!"

"It's musty meat... so gross." I say, turning my nose up.

"You're bloody weird... it's the food of the Gods." She says, scooping up the rashers and popping them onto her plate.

"So, if we're not going to Bristol this weekend, what are we doing?"

"I don't know... we'll do something though."

"I'm holding you to that!" she says, through a mouthful of bacon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 313 30
Harper Gregory just wants to graduate and get out of the picture-perfect suburb of Westbrook, Minnesota. She's tired of pretending to be the perfect...
887K 25.2K 71
Holly Dean is an 18 year old exchange student who moves to Ohio after her life was drastically impacted by the death of parents in a horrific acciden...
522 17 29
At age twenty-three Skylar moves back into her childhood home hoping to reconnect herself with who she really was before her life got worse. Only to...
1.2M 13.6K 110
Just another love story. A nice, clean, and sometimes complicated love story set in South London. ***Please be aware that I started writing this when...