A Chance for Normalcy

By maggiexgrey

Being born into the mafia, you are given the choice at eighteen to stay or leave. But even if you choose to l... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1; first meeting
CHAPTER 2; killer first date
CHAPTER 3; mine
CHAPTER 4; family
CHAPTER 5; old friend
CHAPTER 6; overdoing it
CHAPTER 7; princess
CHAPTER 8; incognito
CHAPTER 9; safety
CHAPTER 10; offer
CHAPTER 11; little black dress
CHAPTER 12; dying
CHAPTER 13; distraction
CHAPTER 14; babe
CHAPTER 15; 26 hours
CHAPTER 16; conflicted
CHAPTER 17; at peace
CHAPTER 18; tequila & emotions
CHAPTER 19; sasha
CHAPTER 20; miami
CHAPTER 21; uneasy
CHAPTER 22; mile high
CHAPTER 23; forever
CHAPTER 24; the Verstappens
CHAPTER 25; monaco
CHAPTER 26; engagement, again
CHAPTER 27; trouble
CHAPTER 28; abu dhabi
CHAPTER 29; revenge of the cheesecake
CHAPTER 30; highs & lows
CHAPTER 31; revelations
CHAPTER 32; aftermath
CHAPTER 33; one look
CHAPTER 34; civil
CHAPTER 36; back on track
CHAPTER 37; sleep
CHAPTER 38; failure
CHAPTER 39; talking
CHAPTER 40; it's just sex
CHAPTER 41; unspoken safe word
CHAPTER 42; family
CHAPTER 43; family is forever
CHAPTER 44; a chance for normalcy

CHAPTER 35; life events

407 7 0
By maggiexgrey

Weeks pass and you continue about your life as always. Daniel has been doing a lot of training recently to get ready for the new season and he's been kind enough to let you and Liam tag along sometimes. One day, Daniel's trainer Michael suggests a hike, so you agree to go with Liam. Sightsee, get some fresh air, make some memories. It's a few days before Christmas but it's Monaco so there's no snow.

You bundle Liam up nice and warm carrying him against your chest as the four of you make your way up the hilltop. Liam's wide awake by the time you get to the top, looking around and smiling at the sights.

"Here let me take him for a bit," Daniel says, and you smile happily handing him over.

"Ugh, what is mommy feeding you little lamb?" Daniel asks Liam pretending he weights a ton. "You're getting so big already."

"Only the best." You say grabbing your chest chuckling.

"He's so adorable." Michael says swooning over him. "He's an angel."

"You don't hear him when he's crying at 4am to be fed." You say chuckling pulling your phone out and taking some pictures. Having deleted all of your pictures off of Instagram after the break up, you decided it would be a fresh start. You haven't posted anything about your son yet, but you know the closer the new season gets the more likely it'll be ousted by the paparazzi.

"Max still doesn't know does he?" Michael asks and you shake your head no.

"I haven't heard a word from him. So, I'm not going to force it." You say as Daniel hands you Liam back as he starts getting fussy.

"I'm just asking because I'm pretty sure that's him and Bradley over there." Michael says and you turn and look down the hill. Sure, enough Bradley and Max are making their way up the same hill.

Shit.

"There's no other way down is there?" Daniel asks Michael.

"Not with a baby." Michael says sighing.

"Okay, well. I can wait in the bushes there for them to pass. Then rejoin you." You say and Daniel nods. The four of you quickly make your way as far down as you can without Max seeing you. Once close enough you walk into the tree line standing behind one of the trees swaying back and forth to keep Liam quiet. Michael and Daniel pretend to be resting on a nearby rock as Max and Bradley approach.

"Fancy seeing you guys here," Bradley says smiling.

"Thought it would be a good day for a hike," Michael says shrugging.

"Needed a change in routine." Daniel says brushing it off.

"I feel that." Max says chuckling.

Liam starts to get fussy, and you know it's partly because he just heard Max's voice for the first-time earth side. You used to play videos for him in the womb so he would know Max's voice, tell him stories about his father. Only the happy ones. Now that's kicking you in the butt.

"Did you hear that?" Max asks looking into the tree line.

"I didn't hear anything mate." Daniel says as you soothe Liam back down.

Max shrugs shaking it off before him and Bradley continue up the hill. "Happy Holidays."

"Happy Holidays." Daniel responds. You wait for a few minutes before slowly emerging.

"That was close." Daniel says and you nod. "He's going to find out soon."

"I know." You say sighing. "I'm just not ready for that fight yet." 

.........

It was one of those days. A day where nothing seems to go right. Why Charles's wanted to propose on Christmas Eve was beyond you. Anyone who thinks they want to propose around the holidays – don't. The added stress of getting families together, without spoiling the surprise, kids running around everywhere.

Ugh it's a nightmare.

Claiming to need a day away from the baby, you were able to convince Charlotte to spend the day with you at the spa getting pampered a few days ago. Secretly in preparation for the proposal, making sure her nails are picture perfect. Charles's had planned to take her on a walk through the town center fully decorated for Christmas, before proposing down by the water. After the proposal, Charles's was going to tell her that they have dinner plans at her favourite restaurant when actually all of their friends and family would be there to celebrate their engagement.

"I think someone needs to be changed," Daniel says holding Liam in his arms. You still can't believe you found a little suit onesie for him.

"I think it's godfather Daniel's turn," you say passing Daniel the diaper bag. Daniel takes it without question smiling down at Liam.

"I'm not even mad about it." Daniel says brushing Liam's cheek watching as Liam smiles and laughs.

"Please be quick. They should be back any minute." You say looking down at your watch.

"You know it." Daniel says bouncing Liam up and down as they head off to the bathroom. You can't help but smile at the sight. You feel your phone vibrate and screech looking down at the text message. A picture of Charlotte holding up her left hand, the ring sitting on her finger a big smile on her face.

"Okay! Okay! Everyone it's go time! They're on their way!" You say quickly replying as everyone gets into place. Rushing around to get everything in place you don't look where you're going and end up bumping right into someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry," you say touching their arm. Sparks immediately fly through your finger tips as you look up into the eyes of none other than your dead-to-you husband Max Verstappen.

"It's okay," Max says dabbing the spilled champagne off his blazer.

"Max, hi," you say surprised not knowing he'd be here tonight.

"Hi," Max says smiling at you.

"I didn't think you were coming tonight," you say honestly. "I thought you'd be with your family."

"Change of plans." Max says shrugging. "Besides... this is a different kind of family."

"Right." You say suddenly feeling uneasy knowing Daniel will be coming out of the bathroom at any moment your son in his arms. "Sorry, I've got to – " you say pointing to the bathroom.

"Course. I'll see you around." Max says and you make your way towards the bathroom. Luckily Daniel is just making his way out of the bathroom a smiling clean Liam on his hip.

"Max is here," you say taking Liam from Daniel throwing the diaper bag over your shoulder.

"Really?" Daniel asks surprised. "He told me he was spending the holidays with family."

"Yeah, well I'm not ready to play happy family."

"I'll run interference." Daniel says.

"Thank-you, I just want to congratulate Charlotte and Charles and then I'll take him home." You say looking down at Liam smiling in your arms. Daniel heads out first and you wait for a few minutes before heading out to the hall hiding the diaper bag under the table.

It doesn't take long before the doors swing open to the hall and Charles and Charlotte walk in. You balance Liam on your hip as you clap cheering them into the hall. Liam starts to cry at the noise, and you walk off to the side trying to soothe him. It takes a few minutes, but he finally settles down.

Catching Charlotte's eye, you smile at her walking over to her and Charles.

"Congratulations, you two." You say smiling as Charlotte takes Liam from you.

"Ah there's my godson, look at you. You're so handsome." She says holding Liam up in the air as he giggles, and you give Charles a hug.

"I'm so happy for you two, I can't believe you finally did it." You say smiling at Charles.

"I couldn't have done it without you're help." Charles says smiling back at you before looking over at Liam.

"I want one." Charlotte says and Charles shakes his head laughing. "That's enough baby time for now I think." Charles says taking Liam from her. Liam smiles reaching for Charles and his face softens.

"Maybe in a few years." Charles says smiling at Liam as he giggles.

"You can borrow him anytime you want," you say chuckling and if almost on cue Liam starts to cry. Charles passes Liam back to you mumbling, "maybe not."

"I'm sorry he's probably over-tired. He didn't nap well this afternoon." You say bouncing with him trying to get him to settle. "I'm just going to take him home see if I can get him down for the night. I don't want to distract from your night."

"Non-sense. You're not ruining anything. You're family." Charlotte says smiling at you.

"I know. But Max is also here, and I really don't want to make a scene. I love you two too much to do that to you. You deserve this night to celebrate. Besides we can go out for dinner one night and celebrate just us if you want."

"Max is here?" Charlotte asks looking around the room.

"He said he wasn't coming." Charles says frowning.

"It's okay really." You say as Liam continues to cry in your arms. "I'm sorry, we'll celebrate after the holidays."

"Okay, let me know when you get home safe." Charlotte says kissing Liam's head.

"I will," you say smiling sympathetically before heading back to your table grabbing the diaper bag putting it over your shoulder.

"It's okay baby." You say trying to soothe your crying son. "Let's go home."

.............

Max heads out of the bathroom, glad to have a couple minutes alone. Since running into Arya, Daniel has not left him alone. Max knows he's running interference, and he has to give Daniel credit he's doing a good job. That was until he spotted you heading towards the elevator. A crying baby on your hip that stopped him in his tracks. The same cry he thought he heard in the woods several days ago now echoing through the hall. The same piercing blue eyes that he stares at in the mirror every morning staring back at him.

No, it can't be.

Max stares frozen in his spot, willing his legs to move but to no avail, watching as you walk into the elevator. Crying baby on your hip, as you try to soothe him, before you look up and make eye contact with Max just as the elevator doors close. 

.................

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 149 5
Charles woke up with a pounding headache and a pain in his lower back and noticed this wasn't his room and someone was in the bed next to him Lookin...
10.3K 179 18
I want to un dress you, touch you, kiss you, taste you. I want you under me and on top of me, sitting and standing. I want to see your eyes when plea...
409K 6.3K 40
Slipping down a dark path can be pretty self-destructive. Especially when you can't come out. "I need you, Charles... I need you now". ---- Disclai...
22.7K 650 20
Max Verstappen loves iRacing, even though he rarely finds a worthy opponent online. When he then gets squarely beaten by a girl called Lex, he can't...