Rain Check?

Bởi belleofmarvel

Dempsey Abrams takes a once in a lifetime trip to the opening of Avenger's Campus at Disneyland California. W... Xem Thêm

~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
~16~
~17~
~18~
~19~
~20~
~21~
~22~
~23~
.24.
~25~
.26.
~27~
~28~
~29~
~30~
A/N
A/N 2
~31~
~32~
~33~
~33~
~34~
~35~
Author's Note
~36~
~37~
~38~
~39~
~40~
I wonder...
~41~
~42~
~43~
~44~
~45~
~46~
For Conversation Sake
~47~
~48~
A/N 9/11/22
~49~
~50~
~51~
~52~
~53~
~54~
~55~
~56~
~57~
A/N (9/25/22)
~58~
~59~
A/N
~60~
WHAT?!
~61~
~62~
Y'all
~63~
~64~
A/N (10/2/22)
~65~
A/N (10/5/22)
~66~
~67~
~68~
~69~
Random
~70~
~71~
An Invite
~72~
~73~
AN (10/11/22)
~74~
~75~
~76~
~77~
~78~
~79~
~80~
A/N (10/15/22)
~81~
TW Alert
~82~
~83~
~84~
A/N Recommendation
A/N (10/20/22)
~85~
~86~
~87~
A/N (10/24/22)
~88~
~89~
~90~
A/N
~91~
~92~
~93~
~94~
~95~
~96~
~97~
A/N 11/5/22
~98~
Ahh!!!
~99~
~100~
~101~
~102~
AN 11/14/22
~103~
~104~
Author's Note (11/27/22)
Author's Note
~105~
~106~
Author Question 12/23/22
Let's Vote!
~107~
~108~
A/N
~109~
110
~111~
Random Question
~112~
YOU GUYS!!!
~113~
Author Question
~115~
~116~
~117~
Guess What?
~118~
~119~
~120~
~121~
~122~
Epilogue
After Shot?
After Shot: Honeymoon ~1~
After Shot: Honeymoon ~2~
After Shot: Honeymoon ~3~
Author Question
Author's Note
After Shot: Finnegan Archer Evans (Part 1)
After Shot: Finnegan Archer Evans (part 2)
A/N (2/24/2023)
Finnegan Archer Evans (Part 3)
B is for Birthday
D is for...
Finnegan Archer Evans (Final)
After Shot ~ Principal
Milestone
Mistletoe
One Shot
Milestone 4/8/2024

~114~

631 55 9
Bởi belleofmarvel

  The house was eerily quiet when Dempsey woke up the next morning. Her eyes jolt open with the realization that Chris' body isn't up against her like normal. Rolling onto her back she's hopeful to find him sitting up in bed, but rather his spot is empty, cold and by the looks of it completely unslept in.

   The dogs were both sound asleep in Dodger's larger bed, though Star had one right next to his. The bedroom door only slightly cracked, probably in order for the dogs to come and go as they wish. 

  Demi carefully scoots to the edge of the bed, grabbing up a robe before reaching over for her chair.  Moving the chair closer to the large window she takes in the scene before her, making this moment feel all the more ominous.  

 Contrary to most LA mornings, the sun decided to hide away behind grey clouds that threatened to begin showering the area.  She was missing the sunrise that usually helped calm her nerves, and with a deep breath she realized how much she was going to miss that today.

  She moves past the dogs, them both seemingly unaware of her presence, as she begins rolling the chair down the hall.  "Chris?" she whispers as she comes closer to the main area.  A poke of her head around the corner tells her he's not in the kitchen.

  When she spots the piano she finds it empty, unlike last night. But just over to the right, she see's Chris sitting on his back deck, still in last nights clothes, under the overcast sky. 

  Reaching the back door, she doesn't open it for fear of startling him. Instead she taps her well manicured nail against the glass causing him to turn towards the noise.  A soft smile grows as he makes his way to her before helping her out. 

  "What are you doing out here?" she asks quietly as he pulls the door open. 

  "Just thinking," he admits as he lifts the front of the chair up and over the lip of the door's track. 

  On most occasions that answer might not startle her, but they're just one day away from the wedding and she's both curious and frightened of what might be clouding his thoughts. 

  He brings her not towards a chair or even next to the one he was sat in, rather he scoops her right out of her chair and carries her towards a chaise lounge, the same they shared her last trip to the West Coast almost an entire year ago.  With her settled between his legs, she leans back into his chest. 

  "Thinking this early in the morning without coffee might not be the best idea if you're trying to be productive," she teases, looking around and not seeing his mug on any of the tables. 

  With a gentle hum he wraps his arms around her chest. Demi nuzzles into his bicep as her fingers grip his forearm.  "I was a complete idiot, Demi."

  She stares at where her fingers hold him, imagining the look on his face. If she knows him well enough, his eyes will be closed and his brow deeply furrowed. "Chris, please don't."

  "I need to, baby," he mumbles against her hair, his lips desiring to never leave her body another day of his life. 

  Feeling the tears beginning to fill her eyes, Demi rubs her hand along his arm. "No, you really don't." 

  "I couldn't see it. I couldn't see how much it would hurt you when I was caught up in the middle of it. And now-"

  "And now, we're at a different place in our life together." She adjusts herself, causing Chris to release his hold. Upon turning closer towards him, she sees his cheek littered with a trail of tears. "Please, don't do this to yourself. If I need to say it again, I will." His eyes close as he licks his lips, a tiny sigh escaping him. Using her fingertips she cautiously wipes away the fresh tears that begin to fall. "I forgive you, Chris."

Night Before

  Chris POV

   Hearing Demi, after all these months, still ask the question of why, slowly breaks my heart. I'd decided a couple of months ago to learn something on the piano, even prepare to sing, as soon as I'd heard this particular song knowing that I wanted to have it in my back pocket for when or if the questions ever surfaced again. I just didn't expect it to be right before our wedding. 

  I release my hold on her, turning back to the keys in front of me. "I was going to save this for later, but now might be better timing."  As my fingers begin to glide along the ivory keys a knock comes from the front door. I immediately panic due to the late hour.

  "Who could be here this late," Demi asks as I make my way to the front door.

  "Well, whoever it is has the gate code," I remind her as I reach the door. With a quick glance I realize it's Scott. "Always interrupting," I complain with a groan as I swing the door open wide. I don't even fully acknowledge him as I just walk away with the door open. 

  Behind me I hear the door close, and in front of me I hear the glide of the wheelchair come into the room. Dempsey looks up at me worried. I roll my eyes and shake my head, "Just Scott."  I move around her and take a spot on the couch.

  "Scott?" Demi whispers with concern. It's enough to make me open my eyes and lift my  head towards the entrance of the room. 

  Scott's face is pale with the exception of red splotches, his eyes swollen and his bottom lip quivers.  I lean up, "What happened?"

 My mind instantly goes to everyone at the hotel, worried that someone went so overboard tonight that they've been taken to the hospital. No, he'd have given me a heads up with a text. 

Did someone die? I've never seen my brother in such a state outside of losing someone close to him. 

He almost stumbles into the room, making me even more concerned and a little fed up that he won't just spit it out. Even Demi keeps looking between the two of us, worried by his state. 

 With another step into the room he crumbles to the floor in front of Dempsey, his head buried in her lap. I get up, quickly moving to him as his body begins to become over taken by sobs. The only word Scott keeps repeating is "He," over and over. 

  "He what?" I urge. "He who?"

  "H-he, he cheat, he cheated," he finally stutters out his eyes clenched shut while tears continuously pour out.

  I can actually hear Demi swallow behind me. When I turn to look at her I notice her face has gone pale and I can read her thoughts.  She looks directly at me as her mouth opens, slowly asking, "He who, Scott?" Her body is tense and I can actually see her chest beginning to shake ever so slightly. 

  I'm speechless seeing her this way.

 Scott's shoulders move up and down as he cries, "C-"

  At that first letter sound I see Demi take a deep, shaky breath as a dam is about to break within her.

  "Calvin," he answers.

  And all the tension leaves her body as she sighs and hangs her head. Her eyes may be closed but I can see two tears fall and land right on the back of Scott's head. 

  "Oh, sweetie," she finally says, running her hand through his hair. "I'm so sorry."

  My  hand rests on Scott's shoulder as he finally lifts himself off of Dempsey's lap. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for just showing up but everyone at the hotel was passed out."  

  "It's alright. We were still up." She reaches out and tenderly wipes away his tears. "How about some coffee, or tea? Maybe some hot chocolate? I ordered those peppermint marshmallows you like."

  He nods his head before Demi squeezes his hand. Once she heads to the kitchen I stand, offering him a hand to lead him to the couch. "I'm sorry to hear about you and Calvin," I offer up. "I know you've been together for a while."

  "I thought this was different. I thought we were on the same page."

  I  just sit there, watching him go through all the immediate emotions of a break up. He filters between despair and anger, never resting on one for very long before flipping to the next. 

  "Chris?" Demi's soft voice calls out to me from the kitchen.  I walk in to find her at the counter, finishing up the drinks by placing the marshmallows. "Can you take these for me?"

  "Of course."

  "I um, I think I'm going to head to bed. Give you two some time." Her voice is quiet and I know she's retreated back into a shell. "I'm sorry."

  I know what she's apologizing for, I read her face and body language to a T earlier in the living room. And now, she's feeling ashamed.

  I crouch down in front of her, making sure my eyes are kind when I search her face. "No reason to be, love." I reach around to the back of her head, unclipping her hair for it to cascade over her shoulders. "Sleep well, okay?" 

  "Chris-"

  I shake my head slowly. "No, baby. No apology is needed. I love you." I tuck a soft curl behind her ear before my thumb caresses her cheekbone. "Sweet dreams."

Present

 "Seeing Scott last night, and the way he was, made me realize it's exactly what I put you through. I can never apologize enough for that, Demi, ever. I am so sorry that you ever went through even a moment of pain caused by me." 

  She leans forward, softly kissing away my tears, making my heart ache even more than I thought possible at her ability to be so tender to someone who broke her heart. "I forgive you. I forgive you," she assures me over and over with each touch of her lips on my skin. 

  My hands thread through her hair as she continues her motions, terrified that she'll come to her senses and slip right through my fingers. "I promise you, Demi. Never again. I will never again break your heart." 

*Unedited.

*Who did you think was behind the door?

*Poor Scott's heart was broken, but it made Chris see more clearly how his actions had affected Demi. 

*The growth this man has experienced!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

30.3K 1K 42
Amelia awoke one morning, not knowing her whole life would change within a matter of hours. She was a laid back dog walker, but in a nearly heartbrea...
68.3K 2.9K 102
What started as a normal day at work for Elle soon turns in a day that changed her life
591K 19.3K 82
𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔 𝑬𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒔 || 𝟏𝟖+ ❝This can't happen again. I'm supposed to hate you.❞ The one where a young student finds her new history teacher to b...
151K 4.5K 89
Y/N was starting over and wasn't getting any younger. She definitely had baggage and wanted to try something where nobody knew her, moving to Boston...