Rembrandt Must Die

By MsDimple13

Abcde carefully planned how to kill the old man who took everything from her at the age of 10, but the plan h... More

Author's note
Prologue
RMD I
RMD II
RMD III
RMD IV
RMD V
RMD VI
RMD VII
RMD VIII
RMD IX
RMD X
RMD XI
RMD XII
RMD XIII
RMD XIV
RMD XV
RMD XVI
RMD XVII
RMD XVIII
RMD XVIII-EC
RMD XIX
RMD XX
RMD XXI
RMD XXII
RMD XXIII
RMD XXIV
RMD XXV
RMD XXVI
RMD XXVII
RMD XXVIII
RMD XXIX
RMD XXX
RMD XXXI
RMD XXXII
RMD XXXIII
RMD XXXV
RMD XXXVI

RMD XXXIV

14 2 0
By MsDimple13

tw: violence, abuse, blood

-

Rembrandt Klyde's/

My breathing was getting heavier as I ran towards the parking lot. People's eyes are all over, with their phones on their grip and watching me run like a madman, they for sure know why. Every beat of my heart tries to catch up at my breathing as I'm still far from where I should be.

"Please, do not be here," I whispered, gripping tightly on my useless phone that had been bricked as soon as I received that message.

My world stopped as my soul left when I heard a loud screeching noise that was then followed by an echo of a gunshot. It can't be... I swear to god if anything happens to her, I would never forgive myself. As I exited into the parking lot, I immediately saw her on the ground that is 25 ft away from me. Blood was already rushing down to the side of her face while a gun was pointed at her. Run, Celestine!

I ran towards her closing a 5 feet gap before a car hit me on the thigh, but not enough to throw me off the ground that made me touch onto its hood to balance myself again. My eyes didn't even bother to look at the driver, as I was still watching her from 5 ft. distance.

"Don't," I whispered as my lips were quivering. I watched Elle's trembling hands and Celestine trying to stand. I was about to run again, when I heard his voice.

"Rembrandt!" The angry voice of my father didn't stop me; it made me run again.

Phil caught my body with his whole arm and strength and then tightly held on to me as I was trying to budge him off. I gave him a sharp look, giving him a chance to let me go before my fist could land on his face.

"That is not our business to deal with," my father said with emphasis on each word. What do you mean this is not our business to deal with?

I was about to answer when I heard another shot that radiated weakness down to my gut. My head was quick to turn, as I saw Hunter running towards her as I heard Elle's scream.

"Let me go," my voice was shaking, yet my eyes were highly centered to her when I took a step forward.

"Snap out of it Rembrandt!" My jaw trembled, watching Celestine with my feet stuck at the ground. "Her father killed my brother." My father whispered with so much resentment in his voice.

That fact should have turned me into a stone from where I was standing; it should have made me turn my back from you- from this, but I didn't. I still wanted to run to you, Celestine. I felt no single relief even when I saw you in Hunter's arms and into his car.

I am sorry, Celestine.

* * *

As the door knob had been twisted, I quickly wiped the tear that escaped as I recall what happened two weeks ago. It felt surreal, in the worst kind of ways. I straightened my back and knelt properly, for what I have been doing for the past 24 hours. I shut my eyes for a moment when I heard two pairs of footsteps growing louder to my direction.

"Stand up," he said in full authority and a hint of annoyance towards me.

With all my might left, I stood up and tried to keep my balance, yet I was caught off guard by a strong slap that flew into my cheek. I was lucky enough to be able to grip on the table, avoiding a fall.

"You are good for nothing," singhal nito. I didn't raise my head to meet his eyes. My jaw untightened from the impact of that slap. What I saw from this angle was both of his clenched fists that perhaps wanted more than just a slap. I get it.

"Anak ka talaga ng nanay mo 'no? You choose to mess up at a very crucial time!" his voice rumbled like a thunderstorm in anger, as if he wasn't close to being done from releasing that anger since last night.

Does he only remember my mother every time I make a mess? I was too giddy from the thought to even answer. I can feel the tension above my shoulder when I use my fingers to run across my bleeding lips.

"We have to leave, Don Razael," malumanay na sabi sa kanya ni Phil. "The plane is waiting for us downstairs."

There was a long pause of silence before my father spoke again. "Nobody better see your face," he sternly warned. I then watched his feet walk away from me and as soon as he did, I grabbed tightly on the same spot of that goddamn office table before heaving out a deep sigh.

As soon as I exited the office, one of the helpers couldn't help but gasp at the horror sight of my badly beaten body with a golf club, clothed with drips of dried blood from my own face.

"Hijo, halika gamutin natin yan..." alalang sabi ni Manang na isa sa pinakamatagal na helper.

"It's okay," nanghihina kong sabi at bahagyang napa-iling. I looked on to my side as I listened to the loud whirring of the helicopter coming from the garden, signaling its take off. Finally.

"Sir, kahit linisin lang yung mga namumuong dugo..." sinubukan pa ako paki-usapan ni manang.

I shut my eyes and tried not to look at her with frustration or even a bit of annoyance. "I'm okay." I deserved this... this is nothing compared to what she had lived through, and still living through.

"Please don't wake me up for the next three days..." mahinahong pero maawtoridad kong pagkakasabi. Nakita ko ang pagbagsak ng balikat ni manang dahil sa sinabi ko, pero wala itong nagawa kundi tumango lang bilang sagot.

As soon as I went inside my room and locked it. I spared no time, but grabbed my briefcase to take out what I needed. I then grabbed a backpack that I had already prepared 2 days prior. Hindi na ako nag-abala pang maligo o linisin ang bawat sugat ko, just wore a light jacket to hide my messed up long sleeves. My clock has already started ticking again the moment my father left and I really have to go.

Tumingin ako sa relo ko, ilang minuto na lang bago mag-10PM. Nagsimula na ang mga guards mag-ikot, and knowing their patterns, I took that perfect opportunity para tumalon mula sa kwarto.

I felt my lips quivered when I made a quick sigh of relief upon exiting the palacio. From there it was a good 20-minute walk to the nearest house. Pagkarating ay pinuntahan ko agad ang katabing bakanteng lote nito kung nasaan ang lumang sasakyan na binili ko at ipinaiwan doon 2 days ago.

I drove away and into the city at kahit malayo na ako sa Palacio at sa mga mata ng tauhan niya ay hindi ko pa rin makuhang huminga pa ng mas maluwag.

It's been two weeks since that incident at Renford. Christmas came, and so did new year, but there were no signs of her. It's been nothing but chaos ever since that accomplice of hers came forward about the alleged attempted assassination towards my father and I.

For two weeks, I knew and could confirm that this was not the doings of my father. The live news and the message that bricked my phone wasn't from him- he in fact doesn't know a thing. Even if that was the clear case, I will make sure that he will be accountable for the events leading after it.

The confession of that accomplice was never a strong case to begin with: all it had was nothing but empty evidence that doesn't even exist. It's as if the main agenda of that accomplice was to solely reveal Celestine's identity, because after that confession he vanished to thin air.

Napayukom ako, driving fast and steady, habang inaalala ko ang mga nangyari sa dalawang linggo at ang katotohanan na wala akong magawa sa buong dalawang linggo na 'yon. That ends tonight.

I wasn't stupid to make a grave mistake on submitting a flawed proposal, especially on the crucial part of allotted budget to our bidders. I made it happen; that's all I could do to make my father out of the country kahit tatlong araw lang. All the bruises and wounds are worth just this.

Before anything else, I made a stop. I parked 2 meters away from his house, just behind his parked car.

"I'm outside," hindi pa ako nag-abala pang bumati sa pagtawag ko sa number niya. Narinig kong suminghal ito at agad din na binaba. I went outside and waited for him.

It didn't even last two minutes before I watched him come out from his house and make his way to me. As soon as he got closer to me, I was caught off guard when he charged at me, pinning me to the hood of my car with his whole arm right on my collar, close to choking me with the applied pressure. The other was raised in the air, closed fists, waiting to land at my face.

"Go on," bulong ko kay Hunter for I didn't budge even the slightest on his action. But his hand was frozen in the air, and his eyes widened a little when he got a better look at my face. Just do it already.

"Who did that to you?", tanong nito habang unti-unting lumuwag at lumayo ang braso niya na galing sa leeg ko.

"None of your business," halos pabulong kong sabi, tsaka siya tinulak dahilan na para mapabitaw siya. Coward.

"I don't trust you, Alferez. Why are you here?" I grabbed the keys of his car that he was already gripping on his left hand, and then walked towards his parked car. "What are you even doing, Alferez?" He asked, still watching and then followed me as I opened the hidden compartment of his car. I made sure he was looking at it, as I remained silent and felt the gravity of his question.

"Is that what I think it is?" Hindi makapaniwala nitong tanong ng makita ang dahilan kung bakit ko hiniram ang kotse nito two weeks ago. "What do you want, Alferez? Why do you have these?"

"I want you to trust me."

"What makes you think I should trust you?" He was obviously furious at what I asked him to do, doubtful, fearful and confused.

"You already lent your car when I asked you to trust me."

It was almost stupid of him, but I was glad when he did lent me his car the night of the assassination.

"Meet me at Primrose." It was a clear cut message that I sent to Hunter half an hour ago.

I finished that event, almost flawless, aside from being late which my father took note of. He couldn't 'correct' me for that just yet, not when the public and the media were worshipping him all night. Kinda ironic na pagkatapos ng event ay hindi na ulit kami magkasama at nagmamadali pang umalis; much better for my case dahil may kailangan akong asikasuhin.

"What's this about?", bati ni Hunter. He was calm, yet here I am still not over to the fact that Celestine jumped out of the building pagkatapos niyang malaman na may alam ako.

"I need to borrow your car." Nagtataka siya sa gusto kong mangyari. I stated the most effective reason right away, "It's for Abcde, trust me."

It felt weird to call Celestine by that name, but I had to. He confirmed that it was enough when he gave me what I asked for. "You can pick it up tomorrow. It would be with Allie in the lobby as early as eight in the morning."

He just left without any further questions. He must really love her, huh.

I, on the other hand, started the job as soon as he was out of sight: I parked Hunter's car next to mine where Celestine's sniper gun was sitting along with other items she left in a rush. I went inside my tinted car, stayed in there, and started cleaning everything. I was almost sure that she was wearing gloves earlier, but it all happened so fast that I wasn't so sure of it anymore: being extra careful would absolutely pay off just in case this goes to hell.

Once done, I had checked my surroundings before transferring every single one to Hunter's hidden compartment.

I made sure that even a hint of suspicion wouldn't be possible, making it all just the same as if all I did was take the car for a drive tonight. That's what I did next for extra measures: I took his car for a drive, just in case he checks the location of where the car went tonight. I went to random places on the outskirts of the city, a drive thru, before resting it a little while on our company building for an hour before finally heading to Primrose again.

Yet my head was still on what I loaded into his car. I rationalized it, calming my nerves, as much as I could: Hunter having a sniper gun would make sense because he still works for Perseus. Even if he isn't their resident sniper, it wouldn't be that suspicious. He could and would definitely make an excuse for himself.

"I don't need you to trust me but..." I need to trust you. Napabuntong hininga ako bago ako nakapagsalita ulit, "I believe Celestine. I believe that her father is innocent. That, and she is also entitled to kill my father for what it's worth."

"Are you admitting that your father is behind this?" Naningkit ang mga mata nitong nagpapahiwatig ng galit.

I felt a lump on my throat taking me a few seconds to answer. "Yes..."

"Fuck."

"But he wasn't responsible for revealing Celestine's identity: he doesn't even have a single idea. Trust me on that, I am certain of it." I frustratingly said, which I know would be difficult to believe. "Even this assassination chaos was out of his hands." because I made sure of that.

"Take your time to think." bulong ko kay Hunter matapos na hindi umimik ito. Kinuha ko yung tinago kong laman ng compartment niya at inilipat sa loob ng kotse ko.

"If your father is not behind that," narinig kong saad nito nang maramdaman ang presensya ko sa tabi niya.

"It means someone else is," I cut him off. "Someone who is beyond knowledgeable about Celestine's identity, someone who lured Celestine to come out in Renford in the exact same time her face and assassination plan were scattered all over the media. Someone who even considered the fact that this person tipped off the victims of that tragedy with her location..." I paused as I felt my voice tremble in frustration once more. "Someone... you know who, Andrade." The horror of reality was slowly coming into him. "It's the exact same person who instructed you to place a bomb in my car." He took a step back as if in shock with what he heard.

The last fact about him, placing a bomb was a hit or miss. As I dug into Hunter, I found his interest in such a hobby, and with the reaction he showed, I can actually confirm it now.

"Bryton: that's his name, perhaps?" Napayukom ito sa pangalang binanggit ko.

"Have you met him?" His question answered mine. I shook my head in response, and shut my eyes for a few seconds as I remembered how I even got a hold of his name.

"Bryton please... tell me the truth. Nagmakakaawa ako, I'll do anything..." Celestine sob in pain as I tried to wake her up from what I can say is a nightmare.

"It would be impossible to get him."

"I will handle it. Kailangan ko lang ng tulong mo."

He nodded at me. I then proceeded in laying out my instructions. They weren't a simple task, especially if it's about someone who has eluded everything after pulling Perseus from the ground again.

"Can you or can you not?" I asked. He scoffed and shook his head in disbelief as if my question was stupid.

"I'll go ahead," tinanguan ko siya bilang pagpapaalam.

Pagpasok ko ng kotse ay napasulyap ako sa oras, it's 12 midnight. I am right on schedule.

Naramdaman ko ang mga matalas na mata ni Hunter na pinapanood ang pag-atras ng kotse ko mula sa kinakatuyaan niya pero bago ako tuluyang maka-aalis ay hinawakan nito ang hood ng kotse, signaling me to stop.

"Why me?" he asked as soon as I rolled down the window. "What makes you think you can trust me in return, Alferez? Because if anything happens to her, I swear to god, I will make your life a living hell."

"You already answered your own question, Hunter." I drove off.

Next to me, you are the person I know who would protect Celestine no matter what it would cost you and I need it just like that. Don't you dare prove me wrong.

***

I was late to realize that going here was 4 hours of travel; I never felt like that when I was with her. As I hopped down the plane, a cold breeze of air greeted me. It made me inhale, even if all the pain that I haven't felt for six hours made itself known, and then all at once, weighed me down and started to wear me off.

"May I assist you to your room, Sir-?" bati ng staff na agad lumapit sakin. Sinubukan nito silipin ang mukha ko na natatakpan ng baseball cap at face mask.

"Sir dela Cruz."

"Sir dela Cruz," he addressed me with a sorry smile. "Let me get your baggage na po, and I'll lead the way to our sea-side cottage."

I held on tightly to my suitcase not because I didn't want him to take it, but rather because a sudden pain in my chest had struck. I tried to compose myself again as it began to subside with slow breathing, however I felt another stabbing pain, making me lose my balance a little.

"Sir, okay lang po ba kayo?" Biglang alalay nito sakin.

Inayos ko ang sarili ko dahilan para mapabitaw siya sakin bago tumango. "I'm okay; just lead the way," bulong ko. It's probably just fatigue and the fact that no matter how much I prepare, no words can ever make her forgive me.

Naramdaman kong binagalan nito ang paglalakad niya at hindi naman ako mag reklamo kahit hindi na umalis ang sakit na nararamdaman ko.

"Here we are, sir dela Cruz," he said with a worried smile as we got to the cottage.

My eyes roamed to the cottage two doors away from me. Without a heads up to the staff, I turned my back on him and immediately walked towards that cottage.

"Sir not that cottage po," sabi sakin ng crew na agad akong hinabol.

"No..." mahinang sambit ko. If my deductions are correct, it should be this exact room. "Knock in there." I said with authority.

"Sir, hindi po pwede. Someone is occupying this room."

"I know. That's why I asked you to knock." That someone could be her. I need it to be her.

"But Sir-"

"Okay, I will..." sabi ko at nilagpasan siya, pero agad din akong hinarangan nito.

"Sir, please," pakiusap nito.

Natahimik ako ng ilang segundo dahil sa sakit ng buong katawan ko. Naramdaman ko na rin na nilalamig na ako at medyo lumalabo ang paningin. "Get out of my way," walang lakas kong bulong.

"Sir, I can't let you-"

Our argument was cut short when the door, that I desperately wanted to knock on, opened. It was a small opening, just enough for both of us na makita ang nasa loob.

"Let him." I found you.

"O-Okay, Mrs. dela Cruz." Nauutal na sabi nung staff at tsaka lumaki ang mga mata nito nang may marealize. My eyes never left hers even when the staff politely said their farewell and handed me the key to my cottage.

"What are you doing here?" she coldly asked but I noticed her right hand remained behind her back. I could only assume it was a gun.

No, I knew it was a gun because that's the same stance she does every time I am behind her to protect me, always ready for her to shoot without any signal to be given by anyone. However, this time it's different, I am no longer behind her but rather in front: ready to shoot to end it right here, right now and I would understand if you will, my Celestine.

"I asked, what are you doing here?" Her words were so full of emphasis that she couldn't wait for my answer any longer.

I stayed silent for a while and just like I expected, I wasn't ready to answer her. "You left this," I weakly said, briefly placing the suitcase of her sniper gently to the sand, near her door. She quickly glanced at it before looking back at me.

"Why is that-"

"You never answered..." I cut her off before pausing and tried to take a step closer to her.

"Don't you dare," she warned, but I didn't mind. I closed our four feet gap into two, enough for her scent that I missed to linger on my system again.

"When I offered you help that night, you never answered Celestine..." I struggled to explain as I felt my world slowly spinning around. "So, I am here to offer you that again."

Suminghal ito at naramdaman ko ang mga naningkit nitong mga mata na galit na sa simpleng sagot ko. "What makes you think I can trust you?"

That's the second time I heard that today, and I knew it was going to be more difficult to answer it from Celestine. I stayed silent. I knew I could never bring myself to tell her, but it's the only way I know for her to trust me.

"Because..." my eyes fell to the ground before I could even speak it. "Besides your parent's death... I know my father is liable for Atty. Floresca's death too and I could prove that to you." I took an overwhelming gulp as I felt my chin trembling before looking back at her.

Her eyes were blank yet stuck at mine. I know. I'm still trying to sink what I just said. It's okay, I can wait for you again.

"Celestine." I whispered for her as the pain dragged me further to hell. Before I could utter another word, my body finally gave up as my sight turned black just before I hit the ground.

* * *

Nagising ako sa simoy ng hangin at tunog ng malakas na hampas ng alon. Agad umikot ang mga mata ko at napansing wala akong pang-itaas at ang mga sugat ko ay nakabalot ng mga gauze at nakabenda na ang kamay hanggang sa braso.

Napalingon ako sa tunog ng pagpihit ng knob ng pinto. "You're awake..." rinig kong bulong ni Celestine na kakapasok lang at may dala-dalang tray.

Pinilit kong makaupo sa kama, at agad na nakita ang salamin ko sa side table. Unang pumukaw ng paningin ko ay ang bukas kong backpack sa table at ang naka-kalat kong gamit sa table which is one of them is my pen that has a recorder.

"You saw...?" tanong ko sa kanya.

"I heard," she blandly answered, as if what she heard wasn't the recording of my father agitating that his hired men missed on killing her. But if I could quote it 'but for now, that's okay, that attorney's death should serve as a warning to her.'

I felt my throat run dry as I watched her place the food tray on the side table of the bed and when it was done, she sat down next to me.

"Who did this to you?" Her tone was almost cold, but her eyes almost made me want to assume she's worried.

I stayed silent for a few seconds, thinking if I had the guts to tell her. "M-My father."

"Bakit?" Her tone remained almost emotionless but her eyes said otherwise or maybe that's what I'd like to think.

"I made a grave mistake in one of our contracts." My eyes are stuck at her face, trying to redeem every detail of it that I tried so hard to remember for the past two weeks.

"You don't make mistakes," she briefly notes before her eyes went to my wounds as if she was studying it all over again.

"How long was I out?", tanong ko. Please don't say days.

"Only for a few hours," she whispered, running her hands as gently as she could on my bruises. Thank god, I still have two more days to spend with you- that is if you'll let me. "You should eat, I'll feed you."

My eyes widened a little at what she proposed. As much as I wanted to smile right now, it would be insensitive of me given the fact that our connection has cost lives. "Okay."

Tahimik niyang inabot yung breakfast bed table at itinayo sa harap ko. Sunod nitong kinuha yung tray na may lamang porridge at sliced fruits. "Manage your expectations: they had no sticky rice kaya I had to work my way out with regular rice-"

"You cooked this for me?"

Napatigil siya sa pagstir nung lugaw dahil sa tanong ko. She nodded as an answer. She then lifted up a spoonful and blew it gently before bringing it close to my mouth. I opened my mouth and made sure there wasn't a single piece of rice left on the spoon.

"Kinain mo talaga," she paused to scoop again. "Hindi ka ba takot na baka may lason yan?"

Ah yes, she drugged me twice. "I don't care. I would still eat it without a second thought."

We both went silent, at nagpatuloy lang ito sa pagiging tahimik habang sinusubuan ako. Halos hindi rin nagtatama ang mga tingin namin dahil iniiwasan niya ito.

"I miss you Celestine," bulong ko pagkatapos ng huling subo nito sakin at sa kalagitnaan ng katahimikan na nanaig. "I really missed you."

Hindi ito umimik at tumayo na lang para iligpit ang pinagkainan ko. Pagkatapos ay agad itong lumabas ng walang pasabi. Hindi pa siya bumalik after 20 minutes kaya tumayo ako para puntahan ang mga gamit ko na nagkalat sa table. Wala naman akong masyadong dala kundi ang ballpen na 'yon, tablet, kasama ang mask and baseball cap na suot ko kanina.

What I really needed the bag for was my sketchbook that was carefully wrapped in abaca strings, which unlike the other items on my bag, seems to have remained untouched inside it. I took it out from my bag and carefully ran my finger to what's written on its tag:

For my Celestine,
Happy holidays!
For you, I exist.

Napatingala ako sa pagbukas ng pinto at pagpasok ni Celestine. Marahan niya isinarado iyon bago siya tumingin sakin.

"What's your plan?" diretsong tanong sakin nito. Bahagyang napakunot ako ng noo sa tanong niya. "You had the audacity to barge in here and offer me an alliance. So, it's safe to assume na you came with a plan," she fired looking at me sternly. It was the longest time her eyes stayed in mine.

This should be a no-brainer: I could tell her everything I know right now and we could work our way up there, but there are still things that I need to confirm first.

"Phil Saavedra."

"What about him?"

"He knows everything."

"Obviously." She was almost pissed at my answer. "Nagtrabaho siya para kay Razael right after that incident. I know he must know something." Her lips pursed and brows furrowed as if I was stating the obvious.

"No, Celestine. He knows everything because he used to be the chemist at Perseus who was working for that very same nerve agent."

She remained silent for a few seconds. "The chemist who resigned just days before that incident..." Halos pabulong nitong sinabi. "Paano mo nalaman 'to? No, how did you manage to find him?"

"Through our family doctor. He helped my father alter that man's face, so he wouldn't be seen and discovered."

I had the man that I recruited do a thorough background check, not exactly about Phil, but on our family doctor who would come in once a month who gave a very interesting comment on Phil on one of his visits: 'It's nice to see my piece of work aging properly,' he said as he examined his face.

"So, what's your plan...?"

I tried not to heave out a sigh. "To know kung ano mang meron ang tatay ko against Phil. With that, maybe we could get him on our side." I said wanting to get both of our hopes up even if it's a long shot.

"Sa tingin mo that would work?"

"It's that, or we pressure my father to confess even if everything I have is illegally obtained."

"Why are you going against your father, Rembrandt Klyde Alferez?" Madiin ang pagkakasabi nito sa pangalan ko.

"I lost my mother because of him, Celestine. I would never lose you to him too."

"Okay."

"Okay what?"

"I heard you. I'll think about it." She was just a short distance from me, I quickly noticed a sharp breath that she took. "I'll just take a shower; I am glad you look well," sabi niya bago ako lagpasan.

Napa-upo na lang ako sa kama habang hawak-hawak ang regalo niya. I was left alone with thought on where or how can Celestine and I start over again, or if there will still be us to go back to. Then again, maiintindihan ko if she'll decline me and my offer, but that won't stop me from protecting her. I am not going to lose her too.

Inabot ko ang tablet ko at mabilis na sinilip kung nasaan ang ama ko based on his GPS. I already made sure that he would be gone for four days, since I insisted on personally making calls on setting his schedule those days. The next thing that I looked up is the rewind and live CCTV footage sa Palacio, making sure that nothing unexpected is happening.

Agad kong binitawan ang tablet ko ng marinig ang pagbukas ng pintuan. Lumabas si Celestine na bahagyang sumulyap sakin.

"Nandiyan sa side table yung susi ng cottage mo."

I felt my shoulders fall a little. "Do you want me to go?"

Hindi siya umimik at biglang umiwas ng tingin sakin. "It's up to you." Umupo ito sa kama isang dipa ang layo sakin at kinuha ang remote mula sa side table.

"Here for you." abot ko sa kanya ng regalo ko. "It's my holiday gift for you." My heart stung when I said that. Everything was planned for the holidays: it was our supposedly first christmas evening dinner and our new year countdown together... but we had chaos instead.

Walang imik niya 'tong kinuha at agad na hinila ang pagkakatali sa sketchpad. Tumayo ako para isarado ang distansya ko mula sa kanya at pinanood ko siya na tignan ang bawat sketches ko.

"This is... me." bulong nito.

"Yes." I took a gulp as my eyes remained admiring her face. "From the first time I saw you that night... the first smile you ever gave me nung tinakot mo ako sa crocodile, that time you waited for me sa parking lot... sa lounge... sa penthouse... they were all you." I said almost whispering but just enough for her to hear it.

"Klyde..." She looked up to me with those dazzling eyes when she called my name that I yearn to hear from her the most.

"Hm...?" My eyes fell to her lips for a while before looking at her again as she remained silent. Her eyes were no longer blank. "I am coming for you now, Celestine." I whispered as I leaned forward to her face.

As soon as she gave me the smallest nod, I went in for it: my lips latched onto hers. I missed her, I did. Her lips tore away all the pain that I had for two weeks. Her hands grazed so gently on my skin that it almost felt like she was touching clouds instead of me.

"Thank heavens you don't have any broken bones," she murmurs in between our kisses.

I was surprised when she made her way on my lap, straddling on my thighs as her hands were slowly making their way on to my chest and nape as carefully as she could. My hands couldn't get enough of her, almost gripping the skin of her back when my hands slipped inside of her shirt. I want her, I need her so bad.

"Stop, stop," she murmurs, gasping for air when she finally managed our lips to be apart not even for a centimeter. "Are you hurt?"

"Do worse, Celestine."

***

It's been two days since the night that we made up. We spent the last two days doing the best thing we know how, and that's never getting off each other's arms and making love. Although we had little to no conversation in between most of the time, it was still therapeutic for the both of us as we let our affections through action play in the midst of silence.

"I am about to leave in a few minutes," bulong ko sa kanya na tahimik na nanonood ng alon.

"I know," mahinang sambit nito pagkayuko niya sa 'kin habang pinaparaan ng mga daliri niya ang buhok ko.

Same exact position on the same exact spot with the same view; only this time we both know what we have been trying to hide from one another. We almost have nothing to hide now.

I sat up and took her hand placing its palm on my cheeks. I shut my eyes for a few seconds cherishing its warmth before I started giving little kisses to it. "I love you so much, Celestine."

Nanatili siyang nakatitig sakin habang parehas namin hindi pinansin ang call for boarding passengers out of this island. I still don't want to go, but I can't risk it. I can't risk you.

"I'll have to go okay. You take care here... I'll update you when I can," pagpapaalam ko sa kanya bago ko bitawan ang kamay niya para halikan ang noo nito.

Tumango lang siya bago tumayo mula sa kinakaupuan namin at nagpagpag ng buhangin. Tumayo na rin ako at sinuot ang bagpack ko.

"The sun will be up soon, kampante akong makakatulog ka when I leave. I'll see you when I see you..." I whispered before leaning forward with a quick gentle kiss on her lips. Hindi ito umimik at narinig ko na ang pangalan ko for paging to board. Huminga ako ng malalim bago tuluyang talkuran si Celestine.

I shut my eyes as soon as I settled myself on the half empty charter plane. My heart hurts so bad, thinking that there's an existing possibility that it might be the last time I'd get to see her. I understand how difficult it is to decide, and I don't blame her since I am an Alferez after all.

Naramdaman ko na may umupo sa tabi ko kaya umayos ako ng upo, pero presensya pa lang nito ay kilala ko na agad.

"You're here," bulong ko kay Celestine. But why?

"I am not just here, Klyde," she paused as she heaved a small sigh. "I am on this, I am with you now, Klyde."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 10.1K 66
For Sebastian Lerwick, being a good father, a loving husband, and a loyal member of the mafia are his top priorities. But when he's given a mission t...