Chapter 13: I'm a Cat Person

I'm pacing back and forth in the living area of the hotel room, behind the chair L has taken his perch in, trying to convince him of something very important.

"Cmon! Please can I get a cat?" I ask, practically begging him. At this point the only thing I haven't done is gotten on my hands and knees. I might consider it if I knew it would allow me access to my want, but I highly doubt it. The detective can be incredibly stubborn.

"Absolutely not." He says without even so much as a hesitation.

I groan, and throw my hands up, grabbing my head in desperation, "But why?! I think you would love one!" I stop, and straighten up, and try to convince him, "In fact, you're kinda like a cat yourself." My finger points in his direction. He stops typing on his computer, and spins around in his chair to look at me.

"How so?"

"Well, they're very smart and they have great instinct." Yes, this ought to butter him up! "They're pretty stubborn and don't like being told what to do. Plus they're super cute and fuzzy!" With my dazzling smile and wonderful description of the adorable little creatures, now surely he'll consider getting a cat!

"You... think I'm fuzzy?" He asks, sounding more confused than anything.

"What? You know... your hair looks kinda puffy?" I motion around my own head with my hands. "You know... like... Poof!"

He hums, probably not taking much consideration to my words. He stands to his feet to shuffle his way out from the chair, and in front of me. He places a thumb to his mouth, as he studies me.

Is he seriously considering it?

He lowers his hand, only slightly, ready to give his answer, "You think I'm... super cute?"

I immediately stop. Any movement at all ceases, and I may have even stopped breathing, as my eyes are locked with his. His stare burning into my skin.

"I, eh, well I mean.. the cats are cute!" I laugh nervously, my glance darting around the room, as I look for something - anything! - to look at but him.

"And you think I'm like a cat?"

Although hesitantly, I allow my eyes to flick back to him, as I ponder it myself. Just looking over him; he's tall, even while slouched. Both hands rest in his pockets so I can't see most of them. But what I do see? Just enough: veins slightly protruding under his pale skin, running along his exposed wrists. Meaning they're probably on his hands and forearms. My eyes trail up his seemingly lean, but hidden torso to meet his mysterious, penetrating eyes.

Cute? Not just cute, more like...

His head turns up slightly and tilts just enough, as he has now witnessed me completely check him out!

My face burns, and the rest of my skin joins, as I feel myself warm, "You know, never mind." A wave him off, and begin to walk away, doing what I can to keep my tone as even as possible.

"Oh? I thought you wanted a cat?" He calls from behind me. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was teasing me.

Damn it.

"Right, yeah. Ju-just forget I said anything." I quickly get to my room, and shut the door behind me. As I do, I lean against it, to give myself time to recover from the dancing in my chest. I replay the entire scenario again in my head, and literally cringe at myself. Couldn't I not even stand the man not too long ago? My chest tightens, and I take slow, deep breaths.

Okay Katelyn. Calm yourself.