Chapter 16: No, I wasn't Mad Before This

The detectives are sitting around the coffee table, L in his usual chair stirring his choice of drink, loaded with sugar. I, on the other hand, pace. Being in the hotel room for days on end is driving me crazy. I need to do something. I wonder if I should be doing more to try and help the investigation.

I would just be in the way. Besides, I've already told L who the killer is. But he still needs evidence, he says. How annoying.

"I have come to a conclusion. The cameras and wiretaps have relieved... nothing." L says, sounding annoyed. The group breaths a collective sigh of relief, "We will remove them immediately."

"Thank goodness. Now we can move onto other suspects." The chief says.

I stop pacing, and rest my palms on the back of one of the sofas. "Oh no, your son is Kira, no doubt about it." I say bluntly, perhaps before I fully weigh the consequences of my words.

"What are you going on about?! Didn't you hear what he just said?" He bites back.

I roll my head toward L, my brows raised. "Well?"

"I only said that the surveillance didn't relieve anything. I still suspect your son. If Kira is in one of those households, he could very well continue to kill without doing anything outwardly suspicious."

The Chief nods "Very well," his tone clipped, and he shoots me a glare. I don't think he cares for me too much. So why bother?

"Told you so." I mouth to him, and I can't help but smirk.

He grits his teeth, and mumbles under his breath, and I chuckle.

"If you still suspect Light, how will we gather any evidence without the surveillance?" Matsuda asks.

My eyes widening, my head snaps towards L, catching his attention. "Oh that's right," The other's in the room look at me, confused, "You're going to enroll in that university, aren't you?"

All heads turn to L as we await his answer, "Yes, I am." He says to me before turning to the others, "I believe the next course of action would be to confront him directly."

I scramble around everyone's legs, "Hey! Watch it!" Aiazawa yells. I squeeze onto the couch, the closest seat beside the detective.

"L, - eh, erm, I mean Ryuzaki... Maybe we should try something else first." I say in a sort of hushed tone, as I speak to him, "What if something happens to you?" My eyes dance around his face, looking for something, though I'm not sure what. Consideration maybe?

He gently places his cup down onto the saucer, and cups hands on his knees, "I took this case because I was willing to put my life on the line in order to bring Kira to justice." He eyes find mine.

"But-but he could... he could kill you!"

L hums in thought, "I understand your concern, truly. But think of it this way: Kira needs a name and a face to kill. While he may know my face, he'll never learn my name."

I sigh, and shake my head. I still don't like it, but I can't change his mind, "Yeah, I guess so... still though," I huff, and slump down into the sofa, before springing back up, "Maybe I could help you! We could enroll together."

"No." He says immediately.

I furrow my brows. "What? Why not?"

"For the same reasons you just stated. He could kill you." I fold my arms over my chest, and slump down, grumbling as the others continue.

Then something occurs to me, "Wait, so your name isn't L?" I ask him.

He takes his cup and sips, "No. It's an alias. Like Ryuzaki is." He says blandly.

"Then what's your name?" Everyone stops, and I feel all eyes on me as silence engulfs the room. My cheeks flush from the tension in the room. My eyes find L, whose gaze is on me, as I immediately regret my words, "I... sorry. Stupid question, right? I just-"

"No, it's alright. Given what you know already, I just assumed. In fact, part of me wondered if you did know my real name. I guess I have my answer."

I mutter a small oh, and look away as I fiddle with my clothing.

Aizawa stands, "That's about all the nonsense I can take for one day."

The others stand too, and the Chief says a few thing to L.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow!" Matsudas cheery voice says beside me.

"Oh yeah, definitely!"

Everyone packs up there belongings and exits the door. Now that it's just L and myself, I can speak more freely.

"L, we need to talk about something."

"Okay then." He takes his perch in front of the coffee table, on the couch, as he shuffles through some papers, "What is it?"

"I think I need to apply for a job or something."

He turns to me, brows knitted, but only barely, "Why would you do that?"

"Because I can't keep sitting here everyday doing nothing."

He hums, turning his attention back to the files, weighing my words. "You know, the enrollment exam isn't for another three days. And I've been thinking about your... predicament."

"What about it?"

"How about tomorrow, instead of you taking up a job, we go visit the first place you remember being in Japan, hm? Then we'll take in from there."

"Oh," I say surprised. That wasn't the response I was expecting, "Yeah sure. That works too." I take a seat next to him, "So you're really going to help me?"

"I said I would, didn't I?" He almost sounds irked that I would ask again.

"Yeah," I say softly, "I'm sorry. It's just too good to be true. I really appreciate it."

"Of course. It was our agreement, after all." A barely there smirk flicks at his mouth.

"You'd still help me either way, just so you could get rid of me."

He stops, and rubs his chin, before giving me a side glance, the corner of his lips twitching up, "Yeah, you're probably right."

My mouth falls open, and he chuckles. I playfully shove him, "Uh, rude! You know you'd miss me."