Chapter 8: Lost and Found

-These next few parts, Katelyn is back in the states and is filler. I only included it to give an idea of how she is spending her time, what is happening etc. If you're not interested, L makes his return in part 11.

I begin massaging a particularly wonderful smelling cleanser into the hair of a lady I'm shampooing. You see, there's almost an art to shampooing someone's hair. It's the best part of the service really.

"And remember, I'm not tender-headed, so really get in there if you want." She reminds.

"Okay." I chuckle.

Being in Columbus has been nice. But it still feels empty. I know no one aside from the new people I've met at work. Today, I'm hoping to change that.

Finishing up with conditioner, I rise her, and wrap her hair in a towel.

My first day at Phia Salon has been busy, which is great for me. The last thing I want to do is sit around. That makes for a looong day.

"Okay Kate, that's it for today. You're free to go ." Jamie informs.

"Are you sure? I can stick around a bit if you need me."

"No, Linda was the last client scheduled. If you want to stay you can, but you can go home too."

I thank her, throw the wet towels into the dryer, and leave for the evening.

Stepping outside, the sky is a bright orange-yellow, and the sun will begin to set in about an hours time.

I flag down a taxi, and give him him instructions on where I need to go.

"To Halgreer Avenue and 5th street please."

With a nod, he pulls back out onto the street and takes off.

The longer I sit in the back of this taxi, the more nervous I grow, and the more dread piles onto my chest. I wonder what I'd do if they were there.

Would they run after me? Would my dad wrap me up in suffocating hug? Would my mom cry tears of joy? Would they even know I've been gone?

Or will they even be there?

The road becomes more rough as it turns into a brick road and after the longest 15 minutes of my life, I tell him to stop at the corner and I pay him his money.

My heart begins to race as I begin walking closer, but I can tell something isn't quite right. The street I'm on looks familiar enough, but it isn't the same.

With my chest now nearly feeling as if it will explode, I finally get close enough to see, and my heart sinks.

Their house isn't there.

In its place, are small apartments, made up of three in the complex. The building next to the apartments is a law firm, of all things.

For a while, I can't bring myself to move.

Deep down, I knew they wouldn't be here. I knew coming would be a waste of time. But just incase there was that small chance...

At this point, I decide to not go to Ashley's either. She wouldn't be there.

I finally bring myself to drag my feet away. I don't walk in any particular direction. There isn't much point, seeing that things here aren't the same anyway.

I also have no idea how I'm going to return home. Back to my world, I mean.

This can't be real.

I suppose I never really knew how to get home, but this was the last thing I could think of. The last shred of hope I had.

I keep my eyes fixed to the ground. I barely noticed that it was starting to get dark, the sky painted in magenta and purple, fading into a dark blue.