Chapter 11: The Next Flight Out

I stand shocked as I look at L, here at my apartment door.

"Wha... What are you doing here?" I ask gruffly.

"Pack your things. You're coming back to Japan." He walks in past me.

I'm left in a confused dazed. I just woke up, and L is at my door. In Columbus. In the middle of the night. And he's demanding something of me?

"You're out of your mind if you think I'm going back." I say calmly. I'm too tired to be doing this. "Wait - How do you know where I live?"

He stops, turns, and glares at me.

"The way I see it, you have two options. Come back with me, or find a new job and a new apartment."

I give him a puzzled look before I sigh and roll my eyes, "It's not like you can kick me out. It's my apartment."

He just stares, his eyes boring into mine, until he finally answers.

"My preference would be that you'd return willingly to Japan. But if not, then yes. I'll kick you out."

"What? You gonna call my landlord and threaten him too?"

"Katelyn." He says sternly. "I own the apartments."

I stand here, mouth agape. He has to be joking!

"Oh my god. You can't be serious!" I shout. "Is there no escaping you?! You stalker!"

This whole time? He's owned these apartments? The ones I just happened to rent? Has he had this planned from the beginning? Since I left Japan?

"And what? Next you'll tell me you've been spying on me, or something else ridiculous like that."

Of course, I wasn't expecting that to be the case, but he doesn't answer. He just stares, never once breaking eye contact.

"Are you serious? That's what you've been doing? Invading my privacy? My personal space?!"

"The only way to keep an eye one you was to setup surveillance." He confesses. "It was necessary."

"Necessary? I can't believe you've been watching me this whole time! While I spelt! When I was changing! Oh god - please tell me there aren't cameras in the bathroom." I ask desperately as I cover my eyes.

Still, he remains silent, giving me the exact answer to a question I never wanted to ask. But in my near hysteria, I manage to realize something.

If he has cameras in the apartment, he has seen everything. From the first day, up until he left to come to the states just hours ago.

Which means he seen the events of the other night.

My eyes flick to his before I finally break the eye contact completely.

"L," I take a shallow swallow, "Did you see? Last night I mean."

For a moment, he remains silent. He doesn't immediately answer. I turn my head to him, the silence being unbearable, my eyes pleading.