Chapter 28: Repeat That Please

[days later]

Early this morning —with a coffee in hand provided by Watari— Katelyn's tired eyes glaze over as she clicks through various websites and files on Ls computer. Pulling all-nighters is something that has become common in the past few months, but never before has it been only her throughout the night.

As she's clicking through files and jumping around articles, she spots something that catches her eye.

"Holy shit." She mutters, slowly placing her cup down.

Carefully, she moves her fingertips over the keyboard, as to not wake the raven-haired man sleeping peacefully on her shoulder. This could be the first time in god-knows-how-long the man has gotten a decent five hours of sleep, and she will not be the reason it ends.

The deeper her search takes her, the more pressure she feels bubbling up in her stomach until finally...

Her attention is broken and she stills when a low ramble emanates from the man beside her, his black hair tickling her neck and face as he stirs.

After a few moments of silence and stillness, she again continues her work.

"Good morning." Katelyn jumps at the low voice she wasn't expecting. L sits up and begins to stretch.

"Ohmygosh you scared me. I thought you were still sleeping." She glances over, "Did you sleep good?"

"Oddly, yes." His dark eyes train on the screen, "I see you've found something to occupy your time."

Now excited, she fully turns her body to face him, "Right. Okay so, I already told you the second Kira is a female model. And I also heard you say the second Kira was particularly interested in criminals who assaulted others, or who took advantage of the defenseless. So I crossed referenced all female Japanese models who have been victims of an assault, and guess how many there were."

"56 percent." He says flatly.

"Uh wow. Yeah. How the hell did you know that?" She chuckles softly. "BUT! Of that 56 percent, how many of them have moved to Tokyo in the past two months after being assaulted, after their parents had been killed?" She playfully arches her brow, "Well if you guessed one then you're right." She reaches for the mouse and clicks the screen.

"Behold," she motions to the screen, Vanna White style, "Tokyo's latest resident: Misa Amane. Born December 25th, 1984. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and one of Japan's most famous models who not only was victim of said assault just mentioned, but who also suffered the loss of her parents due to a shooting; which prompted her move."

Katelyn can't help the proud smile as L looks between her and the screen, before he takes the mouse himself.

"Oh, annnd while she was being assaulted, the attacker died suddenly of a heart attack. Coincidence? I think not."

L glances from the corner of his eye, her smug smile present and fully on display. After examining the various files and tabs pulled up on his computer he turns.

"I must say, for someone who isn't a detective, you've done excellent Katelyn."

"Thank you detective. You know, sometimes my genius is... it's almost frightening." She teases, a mischievous smile pulling to her lips

"Yes, frightening. Terrifying even..." He gets to his feet and begins shuffling towards the kitchen.

"... How criminal of me to believe you were just a pretty face."

Katelyns mouth falls open, her face brightening as the detective walks away, smiling to himself.