Chapter 30: The Case at Hand

It must be a mistake. A practical joke one with a bad sense of humor might think hilarious. But no. It isn't really a mistake. L knows better. In fact, had it come back as anything other, he wouldn't have believed it.

The hotel suite is quiet during the early morning hours. The only light source is coming from the detective's computer screen and the barely brightening sky from the rising sun.

With his thumb to his lips, he bites at the nail as he looks over the sheet of paper pinched between the thumb and index finger of his opposite hand.

The hair's found sent in with the Kira tapes belong to none other than Japanese model Misa Amane, as reported by the crime lab —officially making her the primary suspect for the copycat Kira.

Katelyn had out-done herself on this and L couldn't help but feel some sense of pride. Though, pride isn't the only feeling he has toward the troublesome woman.

From out of no where she came, claiming to know L, who he was and what his plans were. A man who was meant to be hidden in the shadows away from the world, yet she found him. A woman who has no past anywhere to be seen. No facial recognition software, no DNA matches, no databases, no bills, no address, no filed taxes, no aliases... no nothing.

What was he to think given his situation? Numerous individuals have tried to find him before, and even attempted to have him killed. He needed to be sure. No, it was vital. There were no other options.

He had to have proof. Some kind —any kind of physical evidence. Because he couldn't allow his new emotions to cloud his judgment.

But here it is, exactly what Katelyn had said. A second Kira, who would be a female model, predicting it months before it happened. Although it wasn't a prediction per se, just that she already knew, apparently.

L slides the paper back into the file and glances at Katelyn's bedroom door.

For nearly his entire life, the insomniac has been alone, closed off to others. Never has he had —or experienced— such a close relationship with anyone other than Watari.

All these things —these feelings— are very new to him.

L can't say exactly when these feelings had begun to bud. A crush, as how the internet referred to it, since he hasn't let it be known.

The first step was attraction. This was easy, as even someone like him has experienced attraction before. It's human nature. And though he didn't expect her to be around long, he knew from the beginning; he was, in fact, attracted to her. From her beautiful eyes to her pouty lips, to the fullness of her breasts and the curve of her hips...

Jittery would be the word used to describe the detective now, despite his statuesque demeanor. Again, the detective brings the tip of his finger to his mouth, mindlessly biting at the nail as he remembers watching Katelyn retreat to her bedroom.

How could he not find her appealing? Even the most gentlemanly of on lookers would. But never did he expect mere physical attraction to manifest beyond that point. To feelings of nausea and unease. A tightening of the chest and a sickening stomach. The occasional thought turning into complete and utter distraction if not purposefully pushed aside. The tension in muscles when she is close, but the contradictory way her touch calms and relaxes L.  

Now, it's more than mere attraction. It's her. Her kindness, thoughtfulness, humor, interests, playful banter, quirks, emotions... everything.

Just lovely. What better time to develop a likeness for someone than during an on-going investigation. How perfect. Now a top priority; keeping his emotions from clouding his judgement.