Chapter 12: I was Kidding, But Not Really

After my second eighteen hour flight, I realize how much of a pain jet lag is. Thankfully though, L hasn't been so unbearable. In fact, it's been kind of nice being here again. When we arrived, he suggested I get some sleep. So that's what I did. I spelt. In an actual bed. And not in handcuffs! I was shocked!

Not only that, but the other detectives have joined L at this point. L says he'll introduce me as an acquaintance who will be helpful to the investigation.

But now we've come to the nitty gritty. He wants answers. Answers I said I would provide. Perhaps I was blinded by his words when he offered his assistance. How can I tell him how I actually came to know these things that I do about his life?

I have too... I gave my word.

This situation now feels so familiar. Here I sit, in this same armchair from before, while he sits on the couch beside me, in his odd perch.

"You're not going to believe me."

"Considering your over all behavior thus far, I'm more open than what you might think. You haven't lied to me yet, have you?"

"No but-"

"And you were right about Light. I know you could be right on other things as well. Besides, you're already here, and you agreed to the terms."

"Oh I know, and I'll tell you. But you won't believe me."

"Either way, let's get started. First, how did you come to suspect Light Yagami?"

"I don't just suspect him. I know he's Kira."

"Okay, but elaborate."

"I suppose to start, I should tell you I'm not from here..."

He looks at me quizzically.

"I'm aware you're not from Japan."

"Well, see that's the thing. I don't mean I'm not from Japan."

"Then what?"

I huff out air. "I knew about Light because... I'm from... a different dimension." I carefully say each word, because I know just how crazy I sound.

He looks taken aback. But not like he's shocked, but as if he's offended I would so insult his intelligence.

"Okay listen, I know how that sounds..."

"Delusional."

"It's true! That's how I knew about Light! It's how I know about you! How else could it be possible?"

"You couldn't expect me to believe that."

"I knew you wouldn't! That's why I didn't want to say anything!"

His unchanging expression tells me I'm getting no where.

"Look, I know you more than likely have already setup surveillance in Lights house. And when that doesn't work, you'll insist on making direct contact with him." I state matter-o-factly, "When that happens, we'll talk more. Sound reasonable?"

"You know about the cameras?"

"Yes. I do. Because I'm telling you the truth."

He remains silent, and takes a drink from his cup before adding more sugar causes.

"What if this takes an extensive amount of time?"

"Don't worry, it won't take you too long to realize that nothing will come from the surveillance."

He slowly comes to his feet, and shuffles his way over.

"I should put you in a mental hospital..."

"Buuuut?"

"But we'll wait, and see if what you've predicted will come to pass." He says, "in the meantime,"

"Oh god, not again." I groan.

"In the meantime, you will not be permitted to leave this suite."

"Oh... okay. I can deal with that."

"Although, I suppose if you really wanted too, you could. At this point, it's mainly for your safety and mine." He reaches in his back pocket for something, "But I'll need you to wear these." He says abruptly, while holding the cuffs from before.

"Oh hell no. Not again! You're crazy if you think I'm putting those back on."

For the first time, I see him smirk. A smile of confidence? Mischief? Cockiness? Either way, I think his face might crack because of it.

"No need to worry Katelyn. I was only kidding."

"What do you mean no need to be worried?! After what you've done, it's hard to tell what your capable of!"

L for a moment says nothing, and only examines my face.

"I am capable of many things, Miss Elkins." The seriousness in his tone, and the intensity of his ebony orbs causes me to hold my breath.

Perhaps this was a mistake.