Chapter 18: The Hard Ground

I chew on my nails, looking at the patch of ground next to the tree, "People are going to think I'm crazy!" I spin in Ls direction, "I can just sit on the ground instead."

"No, you need to relive it exactly the way you remember. If you woke up laying on the ground, then lie." How can someone be so calm, yet so demanding? It's his demeanor, the way he carries himself. He doesn't care what others think. But mostly, it's that damn voice!

So smooth.

Lips pressed, I huff as I finally give in, mumbling complaints under my breath. I try my best to find the exact spot in relation to the tree. I plop down, look around and scoot over just a hair, before slowly laying my head down to the ground.

This is the place that started it all.

My eyes squint from the shining sun, and I see L come into view, towering over me. I look away, my cheeks flush. This feels a little vulnerable.

"Close your eyes." He instructs.

"Bossy." Doing so, I feel nothing but the warmth, and the hard ground beneath me.

"Now, what's the first thing you remember?"

My brows knit as I recalled the event, "I remember being uncomfortable, and my eyes were heavy. I tried opening them, but the sun was so bright... they had to adjust first."

"Okay, what else."

I sit up, trying to do everything exactly the way I had on that day, "I sat up to get a good look. But I was completely confused. I had no idea where this was," I motion around to the general area, "or how I got here. Hoping I wasn't going crazy."

Humming, he pushes a thumb to his lip, "Were you lightheaded? Dizzy?" He asks, crouching down next to me.

"My head hurt. I was confused." I pull one knee up and lock my fingers around it, my eyes trailing the surrounding area.

"I see."

My eyes fall to his crouched position next to me. With his eyes glued to the ground, and his thumb to his lip.

"You believe me, don't you?" What is he thinking? With this man, I could never truly know. He must think I'm crazy. I know he does. Pulling his hand from his mouth, and looking up, he tilts his head to me.

"What?" I ask, brows knitted.

I hold my breath and stiffen, my cheeks flushing. He brings a hand up, and stops just at the side my head, as if he's still thinking through his actions.

What... is he doing?

Gently, his long fingers stroke through my locks, tickling, and sending shivers down my spine. My chest bursts and flutters. As he pulls away, my entangled hair slips through his fingers. My face burns and my eyes bulge while I try to control my racing mind and the butterflies.

Did the detective just touch me? Why would he do that? I release shakily as I remember to breath.

"There was a leaf in your hair." He mutters.

"Oh." I chuckle nervously. I shut my eyes, and exhale. A leaf. Of course. What the hell did you think was happening Katelyn?

"Right..." I push myself up to stand, and dust myself off, "well this has been a major waste of time."

He stands, "Not necessarily. Is that the coffee shop?" I follow his line of sight and pointed finger.

"Yup. That's is." Of course I remember the shop. That's where I tried to use the phone. The lady probably thought I was a complete idiot because I couldn't use the damn thing.

L begins walking toward the store, slouched and hands in pockets, "Let's get a treat, shall we?"

Is he acting more strange than normal? Or is this his normal?