Chapter Twenty-three

Max

His words hit me hard. At first I couldn't believe what I heard was true. I had wanted him to volunteer, but I didn't expect that he actually would. I had come to learn that Mark Matthews didn't interfere in other people's problems. Now here he was becoming involved in mine.   

I hated to admit it but I had grown to enjoy his presence more then I thought I would. Inside of him there was a dark power that  shimmered within an unknown light. It drew me to him. Charity found him intimidating and too mysterious. I could see why she would think so, but as I looked at him standing there I didn't see him as intimidating. More of as frustrating to understand. Moments like this it seemed like he cared but others it was as if he wanted nothing to do with me.   

Now the thought of being around him all day made my heart leap with nervous excitement. Mark looked over at me and I gave him a slight smile trying my best to hide my growing joy. He turned back to the others who were now in a heated conversation but not before I saw a hint of a smirk cross his lips.

"Alright Mark will have to be with Max at every possible moment. We have to come up with a schedule of where and when he will be able meet up with her," Christen started. "That means before and between each class." He looked at Mark who nodded his understanding. I wanted to argue again that I didn't need protection but I managed to keep my mouth shut. Arguing with them as heated as they are would be pointless. Even though I thought this was all ridiculous it did give me a reason to spend more time with Mark and oddly enough this was the perfect way to do just that.   

 When the bell rang for lunch to be over we had gone over the plan successfully five times. Mark was to escort me to each class and we would meet up after each one. He would also walk me to my dorm and after exchanging numbers let me know I had to fill him in on any plans I made. Making it clear that I was not to go anywhere without him.   

When we left for class the plan started immediately. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as Mark fell in step with me. The silence was almost deafening as we both were at a loss of what to say.

"You know," I finally said, "you don't have to do this. I can take care of myself." I glanced over at him and saw him smirk. He looked over at me and his crystal blue eyes stared into my forest green ones.   

"I know but I want to. I would rather die then let anything to happen to you," he said making my heart clench.   

"And why's that? I mean you hardly even know me and here you are putting yourself in danger for me. From what I heard you don't get involved in other people's business yet here you are becoming directly involved in mine, a girl you have just met," I questioned. We now stood just beside my class room door. The hall we were in was empty of people, most already in class. I searched his eyes hoping to find something to hint at what he was thinking but they gave away nothing.

An unsure smile made its way across Mark's lips as he said, "I'll meet you after class." With that he turned and walked away leaving my questions unanswered. Disappointment balled inside me and I tried to squish it down. Giving myself a moment to compose myself I let out a deep sigh and went into class.