Chapter 22 (Pt. 4)

Playlist - Tolerate It by Taylor Swift

Luna

My eyes widened as I glanced at my iPhone and jumped out of bed. I was in a deep slumber when Ares rang my phone, the ringing didn't even register in my sleep dozed state.

I strutted off-balance to my french windows and squinted at the headlights that came into view, shining outside my window. Undoubtedly, it was indeed Ares's car. I inched closer to see whether he was standing anywhere near.

My phone rang again, I immediately answered it. "Ares, it's three in the morning. What do you possibly want now that couldn't be postponed until human morning?"

"Do you want me to climb up to your window or are you going to be sweet and open the front door for me?" He asked in a low voice.

"My aunt will kill you if she finds you in my bedroom," I stated.

"The risk of getting caught makes everything more thrilling. If you don't open your front door within two minutes then I am climbing up your bedroom window."

Despite his unusual timing, a shot of excitement sprang through my body. He's never been inside my bedroom without aunt Lucille knowing about it.

Already, I felt myself caving under his powerful spell. I was tempted to deny him his wish, but soon I found myself walking on my tiptoes to open the door for him.

I was met with the smug face of Ares on the doorstep before I could step outside.

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" He didn't wait for my reply and stepped inside my foyer. I stepped back as he stepped forward. The door was shut behind him.

He was dressed in his jeans and an expensive olive green hoodie which made his forest eyes gleam brighter even in the dark of the night. His hair lay across his temples beautifully.

Momentarily feeling insecure about my own appearance, I tried to right my oversized night tshirt.

"I'm certain you've lost your brain," I whisper yelled, trying not to wake my aunt up. "It's three in the morning."

He kept coming. "Did I mention that you look pretty?" He whispered the words in his deliciously low voice.

"No," I pouted. "That's not the point. I was tired and you woke me up."

He ignored me and snuck upstairs, leaving me with no choice but to follow after him. My heart was pounding a hard staccato, I prayed my aunt wouldn't wake. If she caught me with Ares then I fear I'll be stuck with a babysitter while she's away.

Once inside, I closed the door and watched Ares scan my bedroom. I closed the door behind me and rounded up to him. He turned to face me, his hand slipping around my waist, pulling me flush against his chest.

I didn't blink as I held his eyes, his beautiful greens sharp and gleaming. I was sure my cheeks had a deep red rush to it from the way we held each other's eyes. For reasons I couldn't name, my eyes refused to unlock from his. It felt as if he wouldn't let me.

"There better be a good reason as to why you woke me up?" My hands went to hold his nape.

"I-I..." I waited for him. "I wanted to see you. I missed you." His words held a touch of disbelief and vulnerability to it and even in the darkness of my bedroom, the contours of his beautiful face hadn't gone unnoticed.

There are so many things that I want to say to him. To ask him. Yet uncertainty prompted me to hold myself back. I wish I knew what we were doing, but I didn't want to risk this 'thing' going on between us.