Chapter 18 (Pt. 1)

Playlist - hate u love u by Olivia O'Brien

Luna

Over the next few hours, while the anxiety of the weekend steadily built to unbearable heights in my chest, I watched the beautiful landscape of Cabo San Lucas.

I've never been to Mexico before, so I was a little unsure of Cabo, but watching it with my own eyes, it looked absolutely beautiful. The beautiful sunny breeze hitting my nose and the warmth made it look stunning.

The beautiful beaches blew past my peripheral vision, reminding me of the time I spent with my mother. Since moving in with my aunt, I've never felt the need to visit a beach, and now here I am. In the beach city of Mexico with someone I'm growing to like.

Eventually, the middle-class cottages disappeared and huge mansions and resorts started lining the coast. It was the type of resort I had seen in magazines and instagram. My eyes widened at the absolute beauty of the city.

Rolling down the window, I deeply inhaled the salty air of the ocean as Ares pulled the rental car up to a winding, gated driveway.

“Is this your friend’ villa?” I couldn’t believe my eyes as I took in the enormous villa. “She’s absolutely loaded,” I huffed, a little jealous pang hit my veins. I didn't like kids my age who danced on their family’ hard earned money.

Ares chuckled at me. “Is that envy I hear?” He mocked me. “To be clear, it's not Maria’ place it's mine.”

“And you are renting out this place to her,” I said. “To let her have some sort bon voyage party for herself.” Unbelievable. He's was just too extravagant.

To my surprise, he confirmed my notion. “Actually, I am.” He then spoke with someone over an intercom before the ornate metal gates slowly swung open, allowing the rental passat onto the beautiful property. “She thought it would be reasonable to rent my property instead of booking hotel rooms.”

Sometimes I forgot his dad was a real-estate mogul not some ordinary person. It was natural for him to have a property on every piece of the earth surface.

Beyond the gates, a sweeping lawn holding lush specimen trees lined the flagstone drive. A garden highlighted the front of the home with flowers of every imaginable color. I was in awe of it.

“Ares.” My voice melting from the beauty in front of me. “This is all so beautiful.” My eyes was pleased with the content in front of me. The mahogany entry door caught my gaze, they looked familiar to me. I just couldn't place them in my mind.

I have seen them. I thought to myself.

The side of Ares’s lips raised upwards. “You like those?” His husky voice uttered out the words so smoothly, it was like soft butter. “Someday I'll take you to my place in Wales.” Wales? “It's my home country, you know,” he added clearing up my unasked question.

“But your name is Torrance.” That was enough to make him American enough. How can Britain be his home country?

His eyes snapped to mine. “And?”

I shouldn’t ask him more, but curiosity in me reared it's head. “I assumed your hometown was Chicago,” I said. “Your family have resided in Chicago since more than a century.”

His eyebrows arched. “Uh-uh.” His tone held sass. “Did your research? I see.” He gave me an impish look. “I think you're obsessed with me.” I did not like sass.

I gave him a fake smile. “Slow down your horse, Torrance," I said. “You should be aware of the fact that your family is no ordinary one. You guys are moguls and I assure everyone in Chicago knows a great amount of deal about them.”