十四 ↬ Congratulations to the New Chūnins!!!

Two weeks later, thanks to a long but necessary recovery, Kei was finally back on her feet.

That day, she, Mirai, and their teammates were summoned to her mother's office. No. The Hokage's office. It was probably to tell them they had failed and that they would have to retake the Chūnin exams in a few months. Or maybe more.

"I know it sucks Kei, but at least we did our best," Mirai said as they were on their way there. "And what matters the most is that you're alive and fine."

"Yeah, she's right," Yori agreed.

But this wasn't enough to make Kei rejoice. She knew her mother had had to retake the Chūnin Exams and that this hadn't made her a failure. But it was so frustrating after giving everything she had to think she would have to take it again.

"We may fail all together, but we'll pass all together next time!"

Kei could feel the fierce determination in her best friend's voice. She couldn't help the small smirk that made its way on her lips.

Mirai will always be Mirai, she told herself as she glanced up at the sky. It was blue and cloudless. It should have been a good day... Everything couldn't always be perfect.

Soon enough, they reached their destination. When they entered the Hokage's office, her mother was sitting at her desk leafing through some papers.

She looked up and stopped what she was doing as soon as they approached. It should be quick. She was sure this wouldn't even last five minutes.

"Thank you for coming so quickly."

She stood up from her seat and left the spot behind her desk to get closer to us, right before her desk.

They all waited for her to break the news to them. She had an impassive look on her face. It was impossible to know how she was really feeling inside and what she thought. But they already all knew, it was no use to try hiding her feelings. 

"I'm so disappointed, you know."

Kei could feel her heart skip a beat. Her stomach was suddenly overwhelmed by that awful feeling. Her jaw clenched mechanically and she clenched her left fist as well. She really couldn't help it.

"To see that you are not looking happy."

Huh?

"Because you all did very well!"

She was now looking satisfied and...proud...?

"That's why you all deserve to be promoted to the rank of Chūnin!"

Huh? Wait... What?!

"Your respective Sensei noted all the progress you've made since you became genins, and I can tell you that they are really proud of you, and they fully support my decision."

Kei glanced at Mirai, her teammates, and her own. They all looked astounded by the sudden and unexpected news.

"I had the occasion to see your performances in the different stages of this exam, and I must say I am really proud too. You are really the best two teams of your entire promotion."

Kei was having trouble realising what it meant. This meant...they had succeeded. They did it. They were now officially Chūnins. All of them.

A big smile spread on her face. Her eyes met her mother's. She didn't any more words. Her smile only grew wider.

"Congratulations to all of you. It's well-deserved."

She moved from her spot and went back behind her desk. Kei heard her open one of her drawers and she got something out of it. Then she got even closer to them than earlier.