七 ↬ Kei's First Mission - Part II

"We already have the Fire Daimyō's son, and now we have the Fifth and Sixth Hokage's daughter, what a blessing!" the man who had threatened Yori with a kunai said, boasting. 

They were still moving by now, though Kei had no idea where they were going. 

After some time, they arrived to a lair, and both Yori and Kei were chained up in some isolated room so they couldn't escape. 

They could both see again now, but their sight couldn't help them get free....

"What do you think they are going to do to us?" Yori asked Kei. 

"I don't know... Starve us probably..."

After that, they both remained silent for a while until Yori spoke up again. 

"I'm sure they will kill me," he stated in an emotionless tone.

"Don't say that! Of course they won't!"

"How can you be sure of that? Now that they have you, I'm not needed anymore. If anything, I'm just a burden to them. Neither am I the son of the Daimyō nor am I the son of the Hokage..." 

He didn't mean to be nasty and resentful toward Kei, but this was only the sad truth...

"Enough! I won't let them kill you!"

"How? You can't protect me! You're just as powerless as I am," he pointed out.

And this made Kei grit her teeth again. 

"I may be powerless, but Naruto-Sensei and Daisuke will come to rescue us. We just have to be patient."

"How could they come and save us? They're gone in a direction opposite to ours. Plus, if they were to find us, they'd probably arrive too late..."

"Stop saying such negative things! We have to trust them."

"I know that Sensei said he would protect us, but you shouldn't be too optimistic...There are times when things don't go the way we want them to, that's just how it is..."

"Just stop talking, will you?! I know he'll come! I just do! We can't lose hope! We're not going to die today, nor anytime soon, do you hear me? We are too young to die!"

But her lively small speech didn't seem to be convincing enough for Yori.

"I'm sure that they're just gonna demand a ransom. They'll just demand twice as much money or more anyway..." she then added. 

But Yori still didn't seem to regain hope. 

And so they waited in silence, not really knowing what they could say to each other in this kind of situation, and they kept waiting and waiting for what seemed to be endless hours. 

Both had totally lost track of time. 

They waited for so long that it became almost unbearable. So much so that Kei thought she was going to go ballistic.

So she began thinking. She thought about all of her family members first. 

Her mother. Her father. Her little brother. Her grandmother. Her aunt. Her godmother. Her best friend, Mirai, who she considered as her own sister. And finally she thought about him. Naruto. 

Would he really come to save them? 

Would she get to see all of them again?

It seemed that she couldn't think as clearly as she did some time ago. The more the time passed the more she was getting pessimistic.

At some point, her stomach growled, disrupting her train of thoughts. She groaned in frustration, and cursed under her breath. 

"I just want you to know that if anything were to happen to us, I'm sorry," she said to Yori after a short while.