十二 ↬ The Chūnin Exams - Part III

One week later, the third stage finally took place in Konoha.

There were a lot of people in the big stadium, and it made Kei feel somehow uncomfortable. Not that she was shy or anything like this. But she didn't like having too many people's attention on her.

Among all the people were Kurenai, her father, Gai, Konohamaru, her auntie and grandmother, Naruto, Akira, and Nami. Hinata, Himawari and Boruto were there too.

Her mother was with the other Kage, sitting next to the Kazekage.

Besides Mirai's team and her own, there was one from Iwa and the other one was from Kiri. Since Kei had never had the chance to observe them in battle before, she wasn't going to underrate them and take them lightly. It would be a big mistake.

The first spar match soon began.

It was a guy from Iwa against a girl from Kiri.

The spar lasted around thirty minutes. And the Iwa guy was the one to win in the end. At least Kei got to analyse his fighting skills which is a good thing.

The second spar match started quickly after the first one.

"Yamanoha Hotaka against Karatachi Kagura."

Mirai's teammate against another Kiri guy. She wondered whether Mirai or her would be next.

"Come on! Just beat his ass!" She could hear Mirai say with fiery determination in her voice.

She looked at her dearest friend as a smirk made its way on her lips.

Hotaka jumped down quickly after he nodded so the match could start.

"You can do it!" Mirai added as she pumped her fist in the air.

Kei just chuckled at her attitude before looking away from her to watch the match.

It was really intense, every second of it. Hotaka gave everything he had during this spar. But it wasn't enough. The kiri guy was much stronger than he was, so obviously he ended up winning.

Thank God she had the chance to analyse his fighting skills thoroughly. It could have been her instead of Hotaka.

"Damn, that Kiri guy is really something..." Mirai whispered, looking shocked, and of course saddened by her comrade's defeat.

Kei sympathised. 

"Hey, cheer up. Whether it's you or me who will fight against him, we'll beat his ass; for Hotaka." she said a little bit too overconfidently as she put one hand on her arm; but it was only because she hated to see her best friend so distressed.

Mirai focused her attention on her, and it wasn't long before she grinned at her.

"He's lucky we can't both fight against him, otherwise we would have killed him!"

"Yeah!" Kei chirped back.

"Next spar: Suzuki Yori against Sasazaki Itsuki."

"Oh, I almost forgot that two genin from Konoha could have to fight against each other..." Mirai, said again in the same mood she had been in a few moments earlier. 

She didn't know what to say to cheer her up this time...to her great dismay.

Yori and Itsuki were soon standing before each other.

Even if he was far from her, she could feel that he was anxious. And she guessed so did Daisuke. He could win. He wasn't a bad shinobi. He just needed to have more faith in himself.