Mrs Ray-Feliz

Roman and Remus eat together at lunch, but they have a surprise visitor.

TW - Mention of homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality/aromanticity, almost kidnapping, sibling favouritism, swearing (because Janus) - I think that's it?

------------------------------------------------------

"Can you believe it's already March bro..." Remus mumbled as he and his brothers leant against the lockers and watched students walk from one place to another to have their lunch. Roman shrugged, his cheeks full of peanut butter and jelly sandwich that Virgil packed for him. "I mean that means we've been in - Dad and Papa's - house for 3 months. That's like a quarter of a year right? Right? I'm shit at fractions."

Roman chuckled, but it was true, time sure had flown. Even though he and his brothers' surnames were Ray-Feliz on the registers, every teacher that used surnames to refer to their students – from Remus' English teacher to Roman's theatre class – called them Roman and Remus Crofters. Even students did too – and even though Roman was originally worried about being bullied for being adopted no-one did such a thing. Maybe because everyone knew and loved Mr Crofters. And their grades had gone up, which was always a bonus. He had gone from expecting no future college to accept him or not even having the financial security to dream of college to maybe getting a scholarship or two to a local college. So much change in a few months.

And Patton was extremely happy too. He couldn't stop talking about graduating middle school in a few months, a topic that he dreaded before as the ceremony would make him stick out like a sore thumb with no parents to see his ascent into teenage-dom. Now he was planning to make a speech in order to make his Dad proud and was excited to join Sanders Academy High in September. The last few months were almost too good to be true.

Remus stretched although he got up over five hours ago. "I wanna get some air." He said simply, sipping his juice and looking at the entrance doors. "Mind sitting on the steps?"

Roman nodded and the two walked to the steps up to the school and sat at the end. They looked at the few students who ate their food in the car park or who returned with takeout food. A gaggle of freshmen girls passed them on the steps and waved at them, they were in Mr Crofters' maths class. "You think Pat will enjoy it here?" Remus said again, watching the freshmen girls curiously.

"Of course he will. We do, and he'll be with us."

"He'll be so popular by like – the first day." Remus chuckled, rolling the juice carton down the banister so it perfectly landed in the trash bin. "I bet he'll get a girlfriend before Christmas."

"You're saying that like he's straight." Roman smirked and took a large gulp of water, also managing to land his eyes on the freshmen his brother was looking at. Remus made shocked noises and turned to him.

"No way can another one be gay – it's an infestation!" He screamed with added dramatics, adding a fake scowl at the end as he leaned back and munched on an apple. "Oh trust me one gay drama queen is enough."

"But you're bi..."

"There's a difference between a gay drama queen and a bisexual drama queen – you're the gay one." Roman couldn't help laughing. He had always been happy with his sexuality, hadn't really needed to explain it to anyone as they kind of guessed. He couldn't even name a moment he realised he was into guys rather than girls, it just kind of happened that way. People also guessed that Remus would enjoy whatever he got.

"My point still stands. Patton prefers guys." Unlike Roman and Remus, Patton was still quite a mystery with who he was attracted to. While Roman and Remus gushed about crushes throughout middle school, Patton kept very quiet about it. Maybe because it wasn't something the three of them could joke about when they had the stress of being Ray-Felizes. He supposed he could be under the asexual or aromantic spectrum, but Roman had a pretty good gay-dar and Patton alarmed it.