"You think Rin's the only one I watch?"

You stared at her for a moment.

"Who are my parents?" You repeated questioningly.

"Yeah," she replied, expression serious. "Your story doesn't add up. There's nothing about your parents, or birth parents. If you were adopted, it doesnt say who your adopters were, if you were an orphan, there's nothing about your parents dying or abandoning you." You put the paint brush back into the container, slowly standing.

"How am I supposed to know?" You inquired, "What does it say regarding parents?"

"Nothing. That's my point. It only shows that Shiro was your parental guardian when you turned seven." You and her stared at each other.

"Why are you so curious about me?"

"Because your existence doesn't make sense."

"Wow, thanks."

"Just answer the question," she said again, "Who're are your parents?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"You're hiding something, Y/n. What is it?"

"Nothing that you need to be concerned about."

"Does Rin or Yukio know?"

"Ask them yourself."
Shura stared at you after like—like if she looked at you long enough, you'd finally break. Boy, was she wrong. After a few minutes, she finally took a step back.

"Whatever," she said, resting her hands behind her head. "I have no proof, so I suppose I'll believe you for now." She turned and walked away from you. You stared after her back before slowing going back to drawing the circle.

~
When everything was done, the sun was already beginning to set. The campfire was lit, and Kamiki and Shiemi were trying to figure out how to cook the food you brought. You didn't even attempt to touch it.

"Oh man, I can't take it anymore. Gimme that!" Rin said, grabbing the food from them. You watched from the sidelines when all of them awed at him cooking. When the food was done, all of you sat around the fire with a helping of Rin's cooking.

"Thanks for the meal," you all said before digging in. Everyone gasped and gaped at his amazing cooking. Even though you've had it for years, it still never failed to surprise you how good it is.

"Y/n, did you know he could cook like this?" Shima asked, mouth full of food. You laughed lightly.

"Of course! I love his cooking," you replied. Rin's face exploded in red.

"Re-really?" He asked a little quietly. You looked at him and blinked.

"Obviously? Why would I eat your food if I didn't like it?"

"Oh yeah! Ha ha ha!" He laughed loudly, rubbing the back of his neck. You smiled at him before turning to face the fire. You looked around the group who continued to goof around. It's always been you, the twins, Shiro, and the priests. That's all you knew. Then, it became Rin and Yukio. You wondered if this is how it felt to have... friends, I suppose.

You and the girls were still eating, even when the boys finished first. Suguro and his gang were at the cooler, digging around for drinks.

"Hey, Okumura! What do you want to drink?" Suguro called back.

"I'll come pick it out myself!" Rin replied, smiling. He stood, jogging over to them. You watched him with a smile. That's when Yukio walked over to you and sat down next to you.

"I'm glad Rin's having a good time," you said to the younger brother. "It's nice to see him connect with people." Yukio looked over to you and smiled.

"I'm grateful that you're looking out for him," he said, smiling at him. "Please, continue to support him." With a scoff, you turned to look at him.

"You think Rin's the only one I watch?"

"... eh?"

"I watch out for you too, Yukio," you explained, "Little less prominent than Rin, but you're important to me too." His cheeks tinted a very faint pink. Clearing his throat, he pushed up his glasses, looking away from you.

"Yes, uh, thank you, Y/n," he replied. You just smiled and looked away.

~
After you all were done eating, it had gotten dark out. The lot of you were sitting in a semi circle around the fire with Yukio and Shura in front of you.

"All right, I'll explain the drill you're about to undergo," Yukio said. Shura, who seemed tipsy, waved around a beer can.

"It's a test of courage! A test of courage!" She slurred.

"Ms. Shura, we're working now," Yukio scolded.

"Hey, hold up! Didn't she say she was eighteen?" Suguro asked, pointing at her. "That makes her a minor!"

"Eighteen?" Yukio repeated, "Don't be ridiculous. This year she'll be turning twenty-si—" Shura threw the empty beer can at his head where it connected, squarely.

"Oops, my hand slipped," she said.

"Hey, do your job!" Yukio said threateningly, but it was in vain when Shura began to laugh.

"He's mad, he's mad..." She dissolved into giggles and Yukio cleared his throat.

"All right, here's the rundown," he said, "We're going to have you light some lanterns that are somewhere in this forest. These lanterns are located somewhere within 500 meters of this base. Whoever manages to keep a lantern lit and return to base within the next three days, wil be eligible for actual combat missions. However... there are only three lanterns. In short, there are only three available slots."

"That means..." Kamiki trailed off.

"Next, I will explain the contents of your shoulder bags." He opened the bag and laid out the contents on the ground for all of you to see. "They each contain three days' worth of water, food, and daily necessities, as well as a compass, a flashlight, a demon repelling firecracker, and a single match. By maximizing your respective strengths, you'll find the shortcut to success!"

"All we gotta do is find some latern, light it, and bring it back, right?" Rin asked, "Sounds like a piece of cake."

"What's the catch?" You asked, ignoring Shura wrapping her arm around Rin's shoulders.

"There's no catch," Yukio replied with a smile. "It's exactly how I explained it to you." You narrowed your eyes at him.

"Somehow I don't believe that."

"That's fine. You'll see it's exactly how I explained it to you."

~
After his explanation, all of you were getting ready to go out to venture into the forest. Shura had pulled Rin aside to talk to him. You had a feeling what it was about. You checked your bag one more time before standing up and slinging it over your shoulder. You went and stood at the edge of the Magic Circle, facing a different direction. You glanced over at Rin. Don't do anything stupid.

"All right, take your positions," Yukio said, holding up his gun. "Ready..." He then shot it off, and all of you ran into the forest, away from each other.

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}