"What a gloomy mofo."

The two of you arrived at the funeral together. To make matters worse, or gloomy, the sky decided to take a collective piss on all of you. You squeezed Rin's hand in yours, feeling him squeeze it back.

"Excuse me, Miss," a low, rough voice called out. You turned, seeing a man standing behind you. You stared at him for a minute, forcing Rin to stop too.

"Who are you?" You asked, not recognizing him.

"I'm Mephisto Pheles." He bowed. "Is it all right to talk to Mr. Okumura in private?"
You glanced at the boy, seeing him nod slightly. With one final squeeze, you let go of his hand and walked away to give them space. You saw Yukio farther away from the scene. You casually made your way over to him.

"Hey," you called, stopping in front of him.

"Y/n..." He greeted quietly.

"Are you doing okay?" You placed your hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah... somehow."
You moved your hand to his face, gently rubbing your thumb below his eye.

"Well, I'm here if you need me, you know. Please don't hesitate."
Yukio softly smiled at you, placing his hand over yours.

"Of course. Thank you, Y/n."
You stared up at him, trying to gage an emotion from him. He was better at hiding his feelings than Rin, you'll give him that... but even then, it's not good enough for you. You rubbed your thumb under his glasses and eye. His closed it, leaning away from your touch.

"Stop being so emotionally invulnerable," you chided, "Get it out now. Or it'll weigh you down." He looked down at the ground.

"... please excuse me." He slowly walked away from your grasp. You frowned, watching him walk away. Turning, you searched around for the older twin. When you found him alone, Mephisto no where to be found, you quickly took off in his direction.

"Rin?" You called, "Is everything—" He suddenly turned, grasping your by the shoulders.

"I've decided!" He exclaimed, "I'm going become an exorcist! And I'll defeat Satan myself!!" You stood, gaping for a moment. Okay, what the fuck?

"Hell yeah dude! That's the spirit!" You pulled him in by his neck into a side hug. "I'll be right there with ya, okay?" He beamed up at you.

"Yeah!!"

~
It was all too soon that you and Rin packed your bags to move. The church was lonely. Gloomy. There were still burn marks on the walls from Satan's assault. With a reassuring rub on the cheek from you, both of you said your goodbyes to the other exorcists.

"You doing okay?" You asked, bringing up your hand to rub the back of Rin's head.

"Yeah," he replied quietly, "It's just weird... sorta..."
You removed your hand.

"I get it. You've lived there longer than I have. I'm sure it must've been difficult to leave behind."
He smiled at you. A small one, but there nonetheless.

"It'll be okay," he said, looking up at the sky. "I have you as a friend. I can get through anything." You smiled at him and playfully bumped into him.

"You're over exaggerating. You'd be fine without me."

"No."
You stopped and looked at him. He suddenly grew dead serious.

"I can't see myself without you by me. Ever. You're... the reason I look forward to every day."
Then began to walk away as if he never said anything. You stared at his back for a few seconds.

"Are you coming or not?" He called back. With a shake of your head, you quickly ran forward and jumped onto his back.

"Let's go my trusty stallion!" You pointed in front of you. Wide grins covered both of your faces. He gripped underneath your legs and ran with a laugh.

Wanna hear a secret?

You don't want to become an exorcist.

You want no part of their—the humans—world. Assiah and Gehenna are two sides of the same coin. You're the one flipping it. So why would you choose one over the other? It's simple.

Because of Rin and Yukio.

Those two have single-handedly swayed your feelings into Assiah's favor. And now that you know Satan is looking for his son(s), you will do nothing short of murder to keep them safe.

~
You and Rin waited in the less-busy part of the town. Mephisto was supposed to come and pick the two of you up. He was late.

"What's taking that guy in the clown get up so long?" Rin impatiently looked down the one street. You were calmly sitting on the sidewalk next to him.

"He has a name, Rin," you scolded gently.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry... but I can't find Yukio anywhere either!" Rin placed his hands on his hips. You raised your brow at him.

"Hey, Rin? Why are you standing the middle of the road?"

"Because I hate sitting and waiting!"
You rolled your eyes lightly at him. If he got run over that's his fault.
The sound of an engine came towards the two of you. You leaned forward to look down the road. A pink limousine drove down the street and stopped in front of you, almost running over Rin in the process. Luckily, he ran out of the way in time.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING! ARE YOU BLIND?!" Rin yelled. You stood up and lightly bonked him on the head.

"He wouldn't of had to watch where he was going if you weren't standing in the middle of the road!"
Rin's cheeks turned pink. He muttered a sorry. The door to the car opened.

"Well, well, the sun has come out!" The familiar, cheerful voice said. Mephisto walked out of the car. "A glorious day befitting a new departure, wouldn't you say?" He smiled at the two of you.

"Geez, what's up with that car?" Rin asked, "And where are you taking us, anyhow?"

"To True Cross Academy, of course," Mephisto replied.

"True Cross Academy?" Rin repeated.

"It's a school for aspiring exorcists," you whispered in his ear.

"That's exactly right, Miss Y/n," Mephisto said, "You see, in my official capacity I serve as the director of True Cross Academy." You raised your brows at him.

"As such, starting today you will become a student of our school."

'Oh...' You thought.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," a familiar voice called out. "I'm really glad. Now we don't have to be apart, Rin, Y/n."

"Yukio," both you and Rin said together. He walked up to the two of you and stopped.

"Thank you for taking care of us, Mr. Faust," he said to Mephisto.

"Faust? But I thought your name was Mephisto?" Rin said to him. Mephisto leaned towards Rin's ear.

"Johann Faust the Fifth. My official name, so to speak," he whispered. "Now then, let's be off! To True Cross Academy!"

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}