"Bold of you to assume we can cook. That sounds oddly sexist, Yukio."

The last day of the first semester ended with a ring of a bell. You and Rin walked together down the steps side by side.

"Well, looks like I survived the first semester," Rin said after yawning.

"Yep, only seven more to go," you replied with a smirk. He wilted next to you.

"Oh come on, you had to say that."

"Well it's the truth."

"I don't like the truth!"
You rolled your eyes. Assuming we'll live that long.

"Okumura! L/n!" You heard Konekomaru call. You both stopped and turned your heads, seeing Suguro's gang walking down the steps behind you.

"Konekomaru!" Rin greeted back.

"Seems like most of the regular academy students will be heading home for the break," Konekomaru said. The five of you walked down to flat ground and watched dozens of students get into cars to head back home for break.

"You guys are all from Kyoto, right?" Rin asked, "Lucky you! Sounds poetic."

"Rin, do you even know what Kyoto is like?" You asked, crossing your arms. Rin laughed.

"Not at all!"
You just sighed.

"I mean, we're not even sure if we're going home..." Shima said before trailing off. His eyes went across the road. Kamiki was standing in front of Paku, in front of a car. The group of you walked over to the girls.

"Paku, you're going home too, huh?" Shima said, "It's gonna be lonely around here."

"See you next semester!" She replied cheerfully.

"Try not to get attacked by a Ghoul again," you said flatly. Rin just elbowed you harshly.

"Don't be mean!"
Paku just laughed lightly at you.

"Take care," Rin said with a smile. Shima then stepped in front of you.

"If you ever have the urge to hear my voice, you can call me anytime—AHGAHAH!"
You grabbed Shima's hair by the roots and forcibly pulled him to the ground.

"No one cares, dumbass," you said, stepping over him.

"Y-Y/n, you're so mean!" He wheezed from the ground. Paku just laughed at your antics.

"Thanks," she said.
Paku waved to all of you before getting into a car and driving off.

~
"I'm sure you're looking forward to a fun summer vacation," Yukio said in front of you. The lot of you were at a bus stop with your bags packed. Shura had also joined Yukio. "At least, that's what I'd normally say... but over the next three days, you ExWires will participate in a field drill disguised as a training camp in the forest." He smiled.

"What a great coverup story for when we get murdered in a secluded forest."
Rin elbowed you again.

"Would you quit that?"
You just stuck your tongue out at him.

"Both myself and Ms. Kirigakure will be leading you on this trip," he added.

"Meow hoo!" She waved. Your brow twitched. It's hard to believe she wanted to kill Rin in cold blood.

"This drill will help determine if you're ready to fully participate in missions," Yukio further explained, "Please keep on your toes." All of you answered affirmatively.

~
When the bus dropped you off, the lot of you were at the beginning of a forest, spanning a good couple miles. You all walked deeper into the forest, taking off your bags for some rest.

"This is kinda like a picnic—I'm getting excited!" Rin exclaimed, looking around like a kid.

"Do you think we'll sit around a campfire at night, or do stuff like folkdances?" Shima asked, hand on his chin. You looked at the both of them.

"Don't get your hopes up," you said, "Remember this is an exercise."

"Man, why do you have to ruin it?" Rin whined. You walked up to him and flicked his foread. "Ow!"

"I'm sure we'll have a fun time regardless, but don't lose sight of the main focus here," you said before locking him into a headlock and ruffling his hair. He complained, but he was also laughing in between his complaints. Through your rough housing, you heard Shima begin to freak out. You both turned to see him trying to spray a spider that had come down next to him.

"Hey Konekomaru," you called, "Is Shima..."

"The one thing he's never been able to stand is insects," he replied. You let go of Rin and walked up to Shima, grabbing the spider by its legs.

"AHHHH Y/N, LE-LET GO OF IT! IT'S POISONOUS!"
You blinked at him.

"First off, the spider would be venomous, not poisonous, I'm not eating it. Second off, not all spiders are venomous. Some are quite cute." You allowed it to crawl up your arm while Shima was screeching in the background.

~
After a few minutes, the lot of you resumed your walk. You made sure to place the spider somewhere safe away from birds, even though it would probably get swooped up by one anyways.

"Ugh, it's so hot..." Shima complained.

"So heavy," Konekomaru followed in his footsteps.

"This forest is serene during the day, but once the sun sets, it becomes a hot bed for lower-level demons," Yukio said from the front. "So we'll have to set up our base before dusk. Let's pick up the pace for now." You stayed up further in the group, closer to Yukio.

"Ah, so cold!" You heard Rin exclaim. You turned around to see him cupping his hands below a small stream of water. He was also carrying Shura's luggage as well. "You think this is drinkable?"

"Probably not," you replied, "Better not try it."

~
All of you got to a clearing in the middle of the forest. When it was okay, all of them dropped their luggage, out of breath. You just calmly put yours down and sighed.

"We'll set up our base here," Yukio said, "The boys will asist me in pitching the tents and building a fire. The girls will be under Ms. Kirigakure's supervision, drawing a Magic Circle around the camp perimeter, and preparing dinner."

"Bold of you to assume we can cook," you said, "That sounds oddly sexist, Yukio." His brow twitched.

"You know what I mean." He then took off his coat. "Let's begin."

~
You and the other two girls were drawing the Magic Circle on opposite sides. You were almost done drawing your side when Shura walked up to you.

"Oi~" She drawled out. You glanced up at her.

"What?"

"Who were your parents?"

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}