Chapter Fifteen

"So you're now a secretary?" Miles repeated as he watched Anne glide rouge across my cheeks.

I'd told everyone about the lie I fabricated for my mother the previous night. However, Leo did not seem amused by any of it as he sat impatiently across the room smoking his third cigarette since we'd arrived. He had a nickel sized shiner on his face from the events of yesterday. Though no one questioned where he had gotten it from. I guess they knew not to ask him questions.

Tony wasn't present currently since he was apparently preparing to perform a con up in Saratoga.

"Way to think on your toes." Anne said, but I couldn't decide whether the comment was genuine or dripping with sarcasm.

"Anne, is all this done yet? We have to go." Leo finally asked standing up and tucking his free hand into the pocket of his trousers.

"One moment." She replied with a sharp eye roll.

"What's the hurry for anyway? You haven't even told me what we're doing tonight Leo." I said placing a studded head band across my bob and around my forehead. It went perfect with my silver and cream drop waist dress. Leo sighed heavily.

"I'll be outside." He grabbed his suit jacket from the back of the chair then shut the door as he left. Miles whistled after finishing his drink.

"I should be leaving. Good luck tonight." He touched my shoulder gently then trotted down the step shouting a good night.

"What's happening tonight? Why won't he tell me?" Anne laughed lightly.

"Look, if you can't tell by now we all have different styles and skills. I work on distraction so the target form me is generally older men because they're the most insecure when it comes to young women."
She fixed my head band then continued, "Miles maps out the locations, stays up to date on news so that we always know where we need to go. Tony is a master forger. He studies the original then duplicates whatever is needed to conduct a con. Then Leo of course is the mastermind who holds the strings. He targets women of all ages both bachelorette and married because of his looks and charm. The point is he's trying to find where you belong. What you can get away with and who you can appeal to."

"So this'll help figure out what I can do." Anne nodded.

"Yes. Just know that Leo works fast and has high expectations because he's truly amazing. So don't take anything personal." I nodded now understanding the purpose of the night. Anne wished me luck as I met Leo outside the house. He nodded in approval at what he saw but wasted no time getting me into the car.

"We're going to a gin joint called The Golden Goose. The alcohol is terrible but the music will keep you on your feet all night. You're going to find a mark so look out for the young men."

"Why a young man?"

"Claire you drive me crazy with questions." I felt no need to protest. "So like we told you, you'll need to gain his confidence. I've constructed the con already so take it slow."

"Wait, am I missing something? Are you just tossing me into the fire? I can't do this on my own yet, I still need practice Leo." I began to breath heavy and fanned myself with both hands. I heard Leo chuckle.

"Do you trust me?" He asked. I looked over at him and nodded. I guess I did. "You know exactly what to do. This isn't the end of the world." I was trying to build up confidence and bravery for what was to come. But I didn't feel ready. I'd only participated in one con. Plus, Leo had just arrived in my life and I was barely confident around him. I suddenly wished that I hadn't even snuck out tonight of all nights. I thought this as Leo came around to get me from the car.