Chapter Eighteen

"Jesus, Claire he didn't even give you bedding." I felt my body jolt awake at the voice as the bed frame shook and I slowly opened my eyes.

Leo was fully dressed in casual attire, wearing a sky blue pullover, and plaid Plus Fours. He leaned one arm on the bed frame while his hand held a straw boater which allowed me to conclude that he'd returned from an outing of some sort.

"Were you uncomfortable?" He asked. I yawned, pushing myself up.

"Just a bit." Leo groaned in disapproval, shaking his head
"I'll make it up to you. Are you well rested?" I yawned once more and nodded.

"Swell, then come with me." He started out of my new bedroom with no further notice. I rushed behind him as he hurried down the stairs to the foyer.

"Leo, I have a quick question." I said as I hit the landing. He led me into the kitchen, drawing two glasses from the cabinet.

"Do you?" He poured a bit of whiskey into each glass then slid one over to me."Should I be worried baby?" He playfully asked, tipping the glass to his pink lips turned upward in a smirk. I giggled.

"No, but I wanted to know when you decided that Columbia was no longer the place for you?" Leo stared at me a moment and I almost felt as if he would hurl the glass in my direction then storm out.

However, he sighed and smiled over at me.

"I can explain that tale to you another day. Okay?" He wasn't genuinely asking because Leo didn't need my, or anyone's, approval for anything. He still expected a response though, so I nodded, shrugging my shoulders. He was being unusually friendly this afternoon so I longed to keep it this way.

Leo finished his whiskey then checked his wrist watch.
"In a few minutes you are going to call that Clyde Benson and make arrangements for Friday night."

"What? Leo!" I exclaimed. He held a hand out to me.

"Must we go through this every time?" He rolled his eyes then proceeded. "Speak to him in a sultry flirtatious tone, Claire. Do you know how to do that?" I furrowed my eyebrows and bit my lip, nodding unsurely.

"You're going to ask him how he is doing, ask him what he is currently up to, apologize for interrupting regardless of whether you did or did not. Then take him up on his offer of wanting to see you again. Repeat what I said." I tucked a few short strands of hair behind my ear and took a deep breath.

"Um, Leo I can't do-"

"Claire, repeat it." He demanded coming closer to me. This happened so suddenly. I did not want to make a call of this nature. I was hardly prepared.

"Um, I have to speak in a flirtatious and sultry tone. Then ask him how he is doing, uh apologize-"

"No, see what he is doing and then apologize. It makes you seem interested in his personal endeavors and apologetic that you impeded on them."

"Okay, so ask what he is doing and then apologize. Then take up his offer. What if he is not available for Friday?" Leo scoffed condescendingly then headed into the foyer where the telephone was. I took his sudden dismissal as my cue to follow.

He put his hat on the rack by the velvet seat in the hall.

"Should I wait for you to stop quivering like a stray dog?" He placed the telephone piece on his ear without waiting for my response. My palms were becoming sweaty and I suddenly realized that being a con woman was entirely too nerve wracking for a girl like me. I wanted to be as confident as Anne when it came to men, but I was a disaster and it showed through my current disposition.