Chapter Thirty-Eight

Goodbyes were always difficult. It had been difficult for me to say goodbye to my father when he passed, even when I knew he would finally be free of pain.

It had been difficult for me to say goodbye to the con unit which was why I'd handed Tony the letter and walked away without another word. And now, it was difficult to look at my family because the "goodbye" was coming soon.

Peter had his newsboy cap over his eyes while he clung to Mr. Jameson. Mary leaned back on the wood bench fussing with a loose thread on her dress. My mother clutched her small purse as she sat uncomfortably, staring at the clock.

It was a bittersweet moment for us all but especially for me and my mother. We'd gotten closer over the past few months and she finally realized that, just like herself, my goal had been to support our family.

We knew it was better that we were all leaving the slums of the city. Open land and sunsets were a rare sight and it would be gratifying to have a change in scenery. But the unknown was scary and that's what I had to prepare for.

"Ah, it's about that time." Mr. Jameson clapped his hands together and stood up, grabbing my two luggage cases.

"Walk slowly." My mother demanded, standing to follow. "Claire, do you have your hat box?"

I showed her the box in my left hand that held two of my favorite cloche hats, both gifts from Anne.

"And you have the emerald broach?"

"Of course mama." I pulled it from inside my dress to show her.

"Good, now remember to mind your manners at Mr. and Mrs. Marino's."

"Claire will be the perfect angel. We shouldn't expect anything less." Mr. Jameson interjected, winking at me.

He'd been kind enough to contact a former worker of his who lived in Poughkeepsie to have me stay with her family until I moved into the dormitories at Vassar. She graciously accepted me into her home for the next month.

"Exactly Mr. Jameson." I touched my mothers hand as we came to a stop at the gate before the train terminal. "Mama I'll be the 'perfect angel'." I repeated to assure her.

"I know, I know but, this is all so new." She shrugged, shaking her head.

It was new because I would be the first person in my family to seek a further education. Also, it would be different for her without my presence to help out.

"Mary, don't give mama a hard time and no makeup." I pointed a finger at her eventhough I knew she wouldn't listen to me.

Mary pushed my finger away from her face and scoffed.

"Fine, but I'm cutting my hair into a bob like you."

"No you will not." My mother warned, hitting Mary in the back of the head.

I bent down to become level with my brother and wrapped my arms around him. "I love you Peter."

He returned the hug before I stood up straight and hugged Mr. Jameson, the man entrusted with protecting the family.

Next, I hugged Mary who any other day would not allow me to show much affection. But this time she welcomed my embrace and I was almost positive that she whispered "I love you" before we broke apart.

Finally, I embraced my mother and said, "thank you mama."

She knew I was thanking her for so much. Every part of my life, though challenging, had led to this beautiful moment. I had finally made it to a place where she could be proud of me. A place that was the truth because I had hidden so much of my life from her recently. It was a tender moment that I never had with my mother so I savored it as best I could.