Chapter Eleven

"What did you do to your hair?!" Was what I had been hearing all day from my sister, my brother, Mr. Luccino, my neighbor Mr. Costa, and now Jean. The worst had come from my mother who would have killed me but knew she couldn't commit a crime in front of the neighbors.

Jean ran her fingers through my new bobbed hair with a wide grin and eyes of fascination.

"Your hair is the bees knees Claire! Now we both look like the women in Vogue." She bit into a shortbread cookie.

"I can't wait to see Ruby's expression. She'll have nothing positive to say."

"Would you stop. She's actually a very nice person." I couldn't believe my ears! Was Jean defending that wicked witch Ruby? A few months ago Jean had deplored Ruby as much as I did.

"What are you saying?" Jean finished her cookie then shook her head and shrugged.

"Nothing."

"Tell me. You clearly have something to say." I could see it in her face. She told me everything so what was she hiding?

"It's nothing Claire." She stood up placing her hands on her hips.

"Don't lie Jean!" I stood up as well facing her with an angry expression. "Just say it!"

"Fine!" She threw her hands up. "Ruby has been with me a lot lately and she isn't even my best friend. You're never around anymore Claire!" I had to narrow my eyes at her to see if she was being genuine because I could not believe this. Sure I was gone a lot more now but that meant nothing.

"Jean that's hardly the real problem."

"It is the problem. You're always elsewhere! Where have you been?"

"I've been busy. But that doesn't mean you trade me for Ruby the witch."

"Stop calling her that! At least she cares." I fell silent shaking my head. Jean sighed and looked away.

Sounds came from the street venders, peddlers, and children playing stickball but Jean and I remained silent for what seemed like days.

"Are you saying that I don't care? Just because I don't go to 'soirées' and speakeasies with you every night." Jean almost spoke but suddenly Ruby appeared with a grin the size of the Hudson River.

"Anyone care to see a film? I am consumed with boredom." She did a double take when she noticed me. "Oh, your hair is-cut off." I tore my eyes away from Jean to respond to Ruby.

"I have to work." The I stepped down and walked away from both girls to head back to the bakery.

I was furious and wanted to be away from them. Jean had said that I didn't care! Ruby was the one that didn't care. All she cared about was herself and Arny. She'd stolen my best friend and Jean couldn't even see it. So what if I was gone a lot more now than usual. That didn't mean I cared less. If anything, I cared more since I was keeping my recent nefarious interests away from her.

As I approached the bakery I noticed Sonny Clemenza exit, but without any of his men behind him. I thought of turning around to walk in the opposite direction but by the time I could make a decision he had spotted me and paused right where he stood with a bread roll tucked under his arm.

"Who pissed you off?" He asked able to identify the trace of anger that still dwelled on my face from my quarrel with Jean.

"A-friend." I didn't dare try to enter with him positioned in front of the door.

"Mmm. Anything I could do to fix this friend?" He asked tucking his hand into the pockets of his brown trousers. A look of terror most likely was displayed on my face now since I knew what he was capable of. Everyone knew. However, when I looked up at him he was smiling which eased the tight feeling I had in my stomach.

"Your hair is different. Am I right?" He spoke softly taking a step closer to me. My heart pounded in my chest as his cologne scent came close filling my nose. Why was he talking to me?

"Yes, I uh-cut it." He nodded.

"Good." He looked from my hair to my eyes. His gray eyes burned into mine causing me to look away instantly. "What's your name?"

"Claire." My body burned. Now he knew who I was. I wanted him to leave so that my body temperature could return to normal.

"Claire, do I make you nervous?" He was closer now. The closest I had ever been to a man of his esteem. I wanted to nod 'yes' since it was the full truth of how I felt about him.

"N-n-no." I lied.

"No?" He asked in almost a whisper. I shook my head to confirm my reply. Sonny's eyes moved down to my lips for a moment then he looked back into my eyes. "Will I see you at the Copper Bull tonight, Claire?" I answered with the first clever word I could utter.

"Maybe." A smile slowly spread onto Sonny's face which then formed into a hearty chuckle.

"I'll keep an eye out." And with that he gave me a curt nod and went to his black Deusenberg similar to the one Charlie had driven.

I watched as the car drove away then gripped my chest and sighed in relief. Unbelievable. Sonny Clemenza had talked to me, looked at me, invited me to the Copper Bull tonight. Which universe was I in? Things like this did not happen to me. Or at least it wasn't supposed to happen to a poor, odd tenement girl like me.

"Claire! Get back in here!" Mr. Luccino demanded angrily from the window. I obeyed, hurrying inside to work.