Chapter Twelve

My vision of Miles was a bit different from this picture but it still works. Enjoy!

I couldn't understand why, after Anne had explained that there was a difference between a blind pig and speakeasy, a man of Sonny Clemenza's stature would even step foot inside the Copper Bull knowing that it did not compare to a place such as Paradise.

Anyway, I digress, I thought as I sat outside the Copper Bull. I hadn't been able to retrieve the password since it changed almost every night apparently.

People went in and out swiftly while I was slumped on a wooden crate hoping that someone, anyone, would take me as their own. I had even stated that Sonny Clemenza was expecting me, but the man through the peep window scoffed and told me to be more original, to which I scoffed and told him to screw off. Not the best thing to say regarding my current position in an alley. I just hoped that Jean wouldn't appear with the snob Ruby. Facing her would be the worst.

"One of my men told me you were out here." I heard his voice say even before I lifted my head. His "men" knew about me? I stood up brushing myself off.

"Here I am. I didn't know the password." Sonny wore a dark suit on this night.

"At least you came. Let's go somewhere else. The entertainment is dull tonight."

"What? Where?" I asked but was ignored as Sonny hailed a taxi. He held the door open for me and gestured inside.

"Come."

"Wait, but where are we going?" I didn't exactly know this man despite our two encounters.

"Come." He repeated more impatiently now. I hesitated for a minute then bit my lip not sure if I was making a wise choice by ducking into the taxi.
                                         ••••••
Now this was what I had expected from a successful bootlegger! This club was ritzy, loud, bursting with glitz and alive with drinks and an amazing band filling the room with King Porter Stomp.

Sonny and I were immediately escorted to a table in the corner as all eyes pinned to us. I felt like a circus attraction. I was not used to all eyes on me especially since I was nothing to this man. He had just scooped me up and taken me out for the evening.

"Champagne." Sonny demanded from the waiter who hurried to cater to his demand. "You're beautiful." He stated randomly, lighting a cigarette. I blushed. He was the beautiful one. Though he wasn't very youthful, his presence lit up the entire room. Those gray eyes, and that brown hair.

"Thank you." I turned away. "Why are you even speaking to me? And taking me out?" The questions came pouring out due to my uncontainable curiosity. Sonny blew smoke to the side of his mouth. He waited for the champagne to be placed in front of us before he answered.

"Why not."

"Well, because I know who you are and you would never associate with a girl like me."

"Then it must be your lucky day." He smirked raising his glass in the air.

"I just don't understand and neither does anyone else since they keep staring." I glanced around.

"Let them stare." He sipped the champagne. "And you shouldn't worry dear. I like you so I wanted to know about you and this is how I go about doing so. Simple." But it was anything but simple. It was complex and I had to get up and go to the powder room in order to get my mind back.

As I passed the stage I saw that Miles was the pianist for this entertainment. His eyes and smile were bright as his fingers danced along the keys and his shoulders bopped to the upbeat tempo. He seemed to be in his own realm, not noticing my presence until a break was called.

"Miles!" I called. He didn't hear me since he was in conversation with the singer.

"Miles!" I called again and this time received his attention.

"Claire, what're you doing here?" He asked with a pleased expression.

"You are amazing Miles! I didn't know you were a pianist."

"When I'm not swindling, I perform for leisure."

"Well, you're great. Does everyone else know about your godly talent?" He nodded.

"You're sweet Claire. It's anything but godly, but yes they know. I play where I'm needed." He spread his arms out then stepped down from the stage. "But again, what're you doing here alone?" I rose an eyebrow.

"Oh you are going to love this." I inched closer to him. "I'm here with Sonny Clemenza!" I stepped back waiting for Miles' flabbergasted expression to be displayed. However, he narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms.

"Why?"

"He just said that he wanted to see me tonight then brought me here." I was curious as to why he was staring so hard at me.

"Claire, do you know what that man does?"

"Yes, he's a bootlegger but he-"

"No, listen you shouldn't be acquainting yourself with him. He's a-" Miles took a deep breath and looked away for a moment. I didn't know what to say. I knew Sonny wasn't the most genuine man in the state of New York but the way Miles was reacting made it seem as of Sonny was wanted worldwide.

"You shouldn't be around that man and Leo will tell you the same." Leo? Leo was never even present so I could care less about what he would tell me. I couldn't stand him.

"Miles, we're back on." One of the band members stated patting him twice on the back. The slight gleam of anger left Miles' dark eyes and his handsome face restored to it's charming state. He nodded an 'okay' and got on stage without a farewell.

I turned to return to the table to find Sonny standing in deep conversation with a lanky copper haired lad. He lifted three fingers then brought them down to one. I slowly approached, scared that I was intruding on a business conversation. Sonny glanced over at me.

"Claire." He greeted. "That'll be all Glenn." He dismissed the lanky man with a curt nod. "Would you like a different drink?" We both sat. I shook my head.

"No thank you. I suddenly feel tired." I gave a forced yawn into my palm. "I think I'll head home now to rest." As I shrugged my shawl over my shoulders I noticed him staring hard at me with the cigarette burning.

He removed it to say, "I'll get someone to drive you."

"Oh no, I should-"

"I insist Claire." He touched my hand with his fingers and smiled. "Please." I faked a smile if my own in return, pulling my hand away slowly. He had suddenly turned very suspicious and less amiable so it felt as if I had to agree to the offer. So I answered the way any slightly frightened young woman would in the presence of a man twice her size with a loaded gun most likely on his person.

"Okay."