Chapter Five

This is a short chapter! Comment/like :)

The system was complex and detailed. There were several different types of con artists: business, domestic, and street which was their realm. Cons had to be planned ahead if time, approximately two or three weeks at the least, so that everything went according to plan. The victim was always referred to as the "mark". In order to have the mark embed trust within me I would have to dress and act the part.

"It's all about confidence and trust." Tony said. He was conducting the entire lesson. Leo stayed quiet the entire time only intervening when Tony missed an essential point. "It's not just about painting a picket fence." Tony referenced Tom Sawyer, who up until the other night, was the only con artist I knew of. "We're not exactly influenced by Tom Sawyer and Moist Von Lipwig."

"Then who influences you?" I asked. Tony and Leo exchanged glances.

"Canada Bill Jones, William McCloudy" Leo nodded in agreement. "Great men."

"This is a lot for me to take in." I stood up approaching the door. "Thank you for giving me an abundance of criminal knowledge." I said jokingly trying to make sense of everything I'd been told.

"It was my pleasure." Tony gave me a curt salute with two fingers as I reached for the door.

Leo appeared behind me opening the door.

"Thank you." I walked into the hall feeling his presence still behind me. "Oh how sweet. He got the things I needed." A brown bag with my groceries stood by the door. I turned around to face Leo who gently shut the door behind us.

"Thank you for this."

"What's your decision?" He asked in something of a quiet tone that chilled my spine.

"I'm going to be part of-this." I decided partly making my choice based on the fact that I would be able to see him more often. There was something about him that made me want to see and know more.

"I knew you would want to."

"Oh really, are you a psychic too?" I asked sarcastically. He chuckled.

"Of course not. However, I can see right through you."

I had a rough demeaner so there was no way he could see through me. My mother couldn't even do it. I hesitantly looked up at him staring at his lips a bit too obviously and for quite some time.

"And what do you see Mr. Psychic?" His eyes roamed my face pausing right into my eyes. The hall was so narrow that I felt his body heat radiate through me and I could smell his scent of fresh soap and shaving cream.

"A girl who has never been kissed." I shook my head slowly.

"I've been kissed before." Johnathon Bianci, two years ago, on the trolley from school one warm spring afternoon. We weren't going steady, but he had been my first kiss.

"But not correctly." He tilted my chin up gently and looked straight into my eyes. Then he cupped my face with one hand and placed his soft plump lips onto mine. I thought I would melt right through the ground from the sensation flowing between us. His tongue poked into my mouth making the kiss nothing like I'd ever imagined. Johnathon was a distant memory. This kiss was so lively. I felt my back press against the wall and just as I began to dissolve at his very embrace, he broke apart from my lips slowly allowing me to savor the last moment. My eyes gradually opened.

"Come by here tomorrow night." He picked up my bag and handed it to me. "Nine o'clock, don't be late." I nodded still struck by the kiss. I bit my lip as I descended down the hall without looking back. Now I had my own little secret.
                                             ••••••
"Two hours! It took you two hours to get some meat, eggs, and fruit!" My mother exclaimed setting the groceries down as I entered the kitchen. I assumed that being two hours late automatically meant that I would not be going out with Jean tonight. It was okay though because I had just found something that was amazing. I could not wait to give it a try a soon as possible.