Chapter Thirty-Five

The New York Times had two articles dedicated to the incident that occurred outside of The Plaza.

The first was published the very next morning and contained vague details of a gun shot that several pedestrians heard and a fight between two well dressed men.

The second was published two weeks later and indicated that one, Clyde Benson, would be tried in court for attempted murder. My name was omitted from the article but Leo's name had a single appearance due to his role in essentially saving the "eighteen year old flapper" by wrestling the gun from Clyde after I had been attacked.

"Oh, Leo made the paper." Mary leaned over my shoulder and pointed at the article.

"Yeah, apparently the gun shot I heard went through Clyde's shoulder."

"Who's Clyde?" She asked. I looked up at her and remembered that she knew nothing about my alternative life as a con artist. She only knew about Leo, and that to her was just a romantic fact.

"No one." I folded the paper then stood from the chair and sighed. "C'mon, Peter's out in the alley alone."

I'd enjoyed spending time with my family these past two weeks but it was the result of me distancing myself from the con unit. I knew they hated me. After all, I'd put Leo in danger and probably compromised the con at The Plaza. They'd taken time to guide me and I proved to be a failure. What was worst was that I truly loved Leo but I had to make myself understand that I couldn't see him again.

I touched my finger as I found myself doing every time I thought of Leo. However, as expected, the jade ring was gone and thus Clyde caused me to lose the only meaningful relic Leo had given me and I would never get it back.

Mary opened the front door and on the other side was my mother and Mr. Jameson lip locked in a warm embrace.

"Gross!" Mary exclaimed and they both jumped in surprise due to our appearance.

"I'm so sorry girls! Matth-um Mr. Jameson and I-"

"Girls, call your brother up please." Mr. Jameson grinned, taking my mother's hand and pulling her into the kitchen.

I opened the window and stretched my head outside to see Peter with two of his friends throwing rocks at a tin can tower.

"Peter come up for a minute!" I called then closed the window and took a seat next to my sister at the table.

"What's happening?" Mary asked, looking between our mother and Mr. Jameson. They both wore bright smiles and bright faces that revealed nothing of why we were gathered here.

"Well, as you both know, I love your mother very much." He looked straight at me and I nodded in approval. "I also love the-" Peter opened the door and Mr. Jameson was quick to lift him up and set him in the empty seat across from me.

"You were saying?"

"Yes, sorry, I was saying that I also love the three of you."

"We love you too." Peter admitted. It was true for all of us eventhough Mary and Peter had spent more time with Mr. Jameson. He cared for us and I had love for him because I could see how happy he made my mother.

"So, I want us all to be a family which is why I've asked for your mother to marry me." Our mother placed her left hand on the table revealing a white gold ring with a delicate diamond at the center lined with two small seed pearls.

"Whoa!" Mary beamed and reached for our mothers hand to get a closer look at the beautiful stone.

"Congratulations!" I said, standing to hug them both from the exciting news. It was what we needed for our family and I was relieved that both of my siblings received the news well. It had been hard since our father passed away and we never expected anyone to come support us in the way that Mr. Jameson has.

"No, congratulations to all of us because your mother and I decided that we should truly be together in one home."

"You're coming to live here?" Mary scoffed. "Are you sure?"

"No Mary," my mother corrected, "we'll be living in Mr. Jameson's home in Greenpoint." I gasped at the name. Greenpoint, Long Island? I knew that Mr. Jameson oversaw the garment factory but I had no idea that he lived in such a lavish area. We would finally be able to leave the slums.

"And Claire, since we'll be a family I would like if you allowed me to pay for your Vassar education." I narrowed my eyes.

"What?" I said. "I mean-come again?"

"We should be getting a letter of acceptance in a few days and I know you've always wanted to attend so I'd like to help with that. If you'd let me." He gave a tight smile and in that moment I wrapped my arms around him again. But this time the hug meant so much more. It meant turning my dream into truth and allowing everyone to have hope for my future. It meant finally making something more for myself. I felt my throat tighten as I successfully fought back tears because the moment was for their engagement. It was a challenge though because this had been some of the best news I'd received in so long.

"Well all these surprises call for a celebration." My mother insisted, smoothing her dress.

"I'll go get a cake from Luccino's." I volunteered.

"Ah, here you go." Mr. Jameson reached in his breast coat to offer money but I put my hand up.

"No, it's okay." I gave a reassuring nod and headed out of our apartment.

Being a con artist had provided monetary stability for me but Mr. Jameson was giving so much more to the family: the engagement, Long Island, Vassar tuition. The least I could do was treat everyone to cake.

As I walked toward Luccino's, I noticed Jean exiting and taking a bite out of a Danish pastry. I pressed my lips together as she passed me with an expressionless face. It had been so long since I'd spoken to my former best friend and I did miss her but Ruby had convinced her that I was a-

"Claire." I heard Jean's voice call behind me. I turned quickly and we came face-to-face with eachother. "How-um how are you?" The confusion was probably clear in my face at the current moment but I responded regardless.

"Good. How're you?"

"The same." She smiled and cleared her thought. "Um-I heard your mother is getting married."

"You did?" I'd only heard fifteen minutes ago. How did she know?

"Yes, my mother was talking to a woman from the factory and your mother announced that she would be leaving. That usually means..." she trailed off but nodded.

"They talk a lot at the factory." I rolled my eyes.

"So you'll be moving?"

"To Greenpoint with Mr. Jameson." Jean rose her eyebrows and smiled. I didn't know if this was why she had stopped me but I didn't think speaking of my mother and Mr. Jameson was too appropriate so I reached to grab the door of the bakery until,

"Wait Claire." Jean sighed. "I'm sorry that I spent so much time ignoring you. I've really missed you." She finally admitted. I looked straight into her eyes and slowly smiled.

"Me too." I shrugged. "I'm sorry."

"Ruby drives me crazy and I really want my friend back." She frowned at me. I laughed and embraced her in a long hug, relieved to know that at least one of my relationships could be returned to normal. It would be the only one but it meant a lot.