Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sorry for the long wait! This is a hectic semester unfortunately! But please like/comment on this chapter because I enjoyed writing it and I hope you will enjoy reading it :)

As Mary stood on a lengthy line to ride her first roller coaster, The Thunderbolt, Leo and I took a leisure walk to a restaurant called Feltman's as he explained one of the most complex cons I'd heard yet.

"It's my rendition of the fiddle con..." He explained, first describing a con that was apparently decades old, then making sure that he had my undivided attention in order to explain my role.

This side of Coney Island was just as beautiful, but there were so many people. I assumed it was because it was situated just near the railroad. Ruby had always talked about the amusement and attractions of Coney Island to Jean and I while I swept flour and bread crumbs off the bakery floor. She generally picked the worse times to brag, but deep down I truly wanted to experience many of the things that she was able to experience. Now I was being given the opportunity!

"Claire, are you listening?" I heard Leo ask, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh-uh-yes." I stumbled. Leo rolled his eyes and sighed.

"Feltman's is the perfect location because it's a classic place for saps trying to gain a pretty penny from rich bastards who come for the sausages." I cocked my head.

"Explain my role again." Leo narrowed his eyes.

"Really? You haven't heard-"

"I'm pulling your leg." I joked with a short giggle trying to lighten the mood. "I'm excited to do this con!" I grinned.

"Excited or confident?" He asked, fixing his eyes directly at mine.

I gave his question some thought. I felt both but I knew his question had little to do with my personal excitement. Given my past of non confident pursuits he wanted to make sure I felt confident to the highest extent this time. The truth was, I really did feel confident this time. I felt like I could control the con rather than have the con control me.

Leo examined my face and no further exchange was needed as he could tell from my expression that I was ready. He nodded approvingly and we separated to enter Feltman's.

The mark was at a table directly next to mine and could hear any words I exchanged with the waiter which was exactly how we wanted it. I'd picked this mark with Leo's help since he pointed out the scuff marks on his two toned shoes, constant habit of checking his pocket watch, and left trouser pocket weighed down more than his right.

"He's keen on keeping time which means that he's waiting for something." Leo had stated. "His left pocket is weighed down by either coins or jewels, and since he has strategically put his watch in his right pocket eventhough he's left handed, we can only assume that he's a theif of sorts."
"How?"
"He's waiting for his next opportunity to 'collide' with the upcoming train rush. That's where his scuff marks come from."
"Ahh, he's a pickpocketer." I concluded.
"Perhaps. But we have to be quick since we want his attention on us and not the next train."

So I'd ordered my meal and kept a strong side glance on the mark to judge how fast or slow I would eat. When he began to tap his foot in an impatient manner I quickly summoned the waiter by sticking my finger in the air.

"I'm in quite a rush. Would you mind telling me how much I owe now." I made an exaggerated scene of checking my purse and pockets as he spoke to me. I even checked my garter and upon finding nothing I let out a loud sigh.

"I seem to have left my money in one of the bathhouse lockers." I shook my head. "I'm such a fool. Would you mind if I went to get it. I'll only be five minutes?" Before he could utter his approval, which would unbeknownst to him, ruin the con, I stated, "I promise not to swindle you. Here-" I un clipped my necklace. "I'll leave this here. I've had in for a couple of years so I cherish it and wouldn't leave without it." I smiled and sprinted out of the restaurant. However, I quickly re entered through the back and peaked to where I noticed Leo rise from where he sat to approach my table and engage in conversation with the waiter.