Chapter Nineteen

My mother beamed with joy when I presented her with all the money I acquired from my fictional occupation. She no longer minded me arriving home late and fashioning myself in the afternoon. She assumed that the make up and curled bob were all necessities for my secretarial position.

Of course, I fabricated a number of lies to foster this belief and even created exciting work stories. Such as a fellow secretary quitting to become a taxi dancer. My mother would scoff, disgusted by a woman's lack of moral display.
I would do the same to assure her that I was in no way inspired by such a bold show of promiscuity.

As the weather continued to get warmer, my mother ordered me to take Mary to get a new hat since the sun always freckled her skin and all her hats had been ruined. After getting the hat however, she insisted that we stop at the butcher for a pound of ground beef.

"Let me order it!" Mary begged shaking me outside the butcher shop.

"Okay." I shoved some money in her hands. "One pound Mary!" She ran inside and just as I was due to make the decision and follow her, a familiar voice sang my name.

I whipped around surprised to see Sonny Clemenza approaching from his car where Charlie Brazzo stood stoically, surveying the surrounding area. My heart began to pound harder with every step he took in his charcoal suit.

"Claire, I hope you remember me." His smile was handsome and inviting. But after Miles' warning I felt uncomfortable near the notorious bootlegger who for whatever reason felt the need to acknowledge my presence in such a populated city.

"Of course, Mr. Cl- I mean Sonny. How are you?" I glanced into the butcher shop and saw my sister peering out wide-eyed and with her jaw right on the ground.

"I'm well, and you?"

"Um, very well. What brings you- here?" I don't know why I asked and by the look on his face he was taken back by my question as well. No one asked a bootlegger why he was in a specific location at a specific time. I was so nervous. However, Sonny chortled putting his hands in his pockets.

"Business." I nodded. "You left me so suddenly that evening in the Stork Club. I was really beginning to enjoy your company."

"I do apologize for that." I wondered if he could tell that I was intimidated by his presence and wanted nothing more than to grab Mary, the pound of beef ready or not, and run home without stopping.

"I saw you talk to that pianist. Do you know him?" Sonny asked, tilting his head and standing up straighter. I gulped hard and felt my legs begin to quiver under my skirt.

Calm down Claire! I told myself repeatedly. He does not have you bound in a basement...yet.

"Um-pianist?" I pretended to ponder then snapped. "Oh, him-no I'm not acquainted with that gentleman. I was however, impressed with his talent so I went to compliment him." I finished with an incandescent smile.

Sonny starred at me for only a second longer until spreading his lips into that dashing grin. His mug shot most likely adorned the same expression.

"Well then, I hope to see you tomorrow night at Paradise. It would mean the most if you saved a dance for me."

"I owe you just that." Mary came out with the wrapped meat in her hands and her expression still one of shock.

"And who is this lovely young lady?" Sonny asked, fixing his grey eyes on Mary and extending his hand. She touched it giving it a weak shake. I wanted to pull her hand away the minute she began to raise it.

"My sister. Well, Mr. Clemenza we must be on our way now. Have a wonderful day." I wished, taking my sister aggressively by the arm and pulling her along.