Chapter Seventeen

If you're enjoying the book please Comment/Vote!

Anne and Tony came across me the following day as I stepped off the street car and entered Lord & Taylor with the hundred dollars Leo had given me and an overwhelmed expression. It smelled of expensive French perfume, but I knew nothing about French perfume so it could well have been cheap linen that fooled my senses.

"Well look who decided to spend a pretty penny on appearance." Anne said fanning herself playfully with her arm looped through Tony's. He looked quite dapper in his dark green tweed suit and hair parted down the center. I sarcastically chuckled tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Now I have a pretty penny to spend. I just wanted some jewelry and a dress or two so that I could stop borrowing yours." And speaking of, I was wearing her emerald drop earrings now.

"I don't mind."

"Yes, you should see her flat. It's filled to the brim with clothing." Tony teased. Anne disregarded him.

"I know you don't but I would feel better with my own dresses. Plus I have some money now." I glanced around.

"From what? Secretary."

"I helped Leo with a con." I shrugged. "Oh and now I understand why he's so revered!" I exclaimed recalling the various times they'd praised him. "He pretended to be a Columbia graduate for his mark." Anne and Tony exchanged an odd look to each other then Tony spoke.

"Well, speaking of marks, how did it go for you the other night?"

"I found one while at the speakeasy but I'm not sure what to do next." Leo hadn't told me anything yet.

"Tell me about him." Tony insisted, tucking his hands into his pockets. I knew very little about the man but I told him all that I did know from our brief encounter.

"He was gambling when I approached him and apparently he does it to unwind after a long day."

"Really? How did he sit while he was playing?" Anne asked oddly.

"Huh?"

"How did he sit? Tell me if you remember." I didn't know what this had to do with anything about my mark, but they were the experts so I didn't bother questioning.

"He was slumped in the stool a bit, his feet were on the pegs not on the ground."

"How did he hold his cards?"

"In front of his eyes, almost directly." Tony nodded slowly, narrowing his eyes to get a proper mental image. After a second he continued.

"Okay, tell us about the rest of the night." I did so describing Clyde's actions during our time together after his black jack game. I even included the part of the night when Leo left me in the cold because he wanted to flirt with the green dress broad.

When I concluded, Anne shrugged.
"Well despite the dame in the green...it seems that your evening was productive. So you must keep in contact with this mark by going on a date with him. While you are with him be flirtatious, clever, but most importantly be mysterious. Once you have him on his toes you have to keep him there! He'll start trusting you and he'll want to get you nice things. Do not be too forward however, imply with body language and subtle hints." She turned to Tony, lowered her eyes, pouted, and touched his arm.
"Darling, I wanted to look dashing for you tonight but I am in no possession of a striking necklace."

Tony cocked an eyebrow and nodded in approval as Anne finished her demonstration. "And after that you will have yourself a new necklace from Tiffany's."