To Become A Con Artist Duology Preview

Enjoy this preview of the second and final book in the To Become A Con Artist Duology!

*PREVIEW*

Anne and I woke up early the next morning to prepare my trunk with some of the dresses and shoes from the room upstairs.

I was surprised that they hadn't been touched in a year but I guess it was expected since they'd planned for my return. Even if it was by force.

"I know you're probably exhausted talking about it." I folded the last dress down then looked up at Anne. "But what happened after I left?"

Anne thought for a moment then let out a deep breath. "Well, nothing happened." She shrugged. "We all continued our business. But I guess you're wondering about Leo?"

"Um-no-not really-" I lied, looking down as I tried to close the trunk.

"Claire." Anne laughed. "It's not a secret." She lowered her voice. "But if you want to know, Leo met another girl shortly after you left. She was a debutante, can you believe it!"

This seemed to be humorous to Anne but I didn't find it funny. Leo had almost married a high society woman during my absence? That was the exact opposite of everything that I was. I had so many questions: How had they met? Did he love her? Were they even engaged? Had it been a con? Did she know his pedigree?

"Though that didn't last long." Anne said with another shrug.

Before I could ask one of my several questions, we heard the front door open with its usual rattle and then immediately shut with a shaky slam that caused Tony and Miles to spring up out of their sleep in alarm.

Anne and I looked up from our position on the rug as Tony chuckled and presented the visitor, "Mr Bendino, ever the considerate intruder."

Leo stepped further into the room with that amused smirk that had stayed with me throughout my first year at Vassar. It was endearing since very few men could do it so confidently.

"I had to make a grand entrance." He said.

"This is not grand at all. You look a disheveled mess." Anne scrunched her face at Leo's dull attire and unkept facial hair.

Leo chuckled then peered past Anne to look at me. Our eyes connected for the longest second of my life and for a moment I was convinced that he could read all of my thoughts.

Looking at Leo was akin to seeing a ghost in broad daylight. It was exciting but terrifying at the same time and there were no words that could truly capture the feeling.

"Claire." He smiled and approached me.

"Shit!" I cursed and then ran past him...