Chapter 31

*Jack's POV*

I wait anxiously for the nurses to bring Alyssa back to her room.

The nurses bring Alyssa back 10 minutes later.

"She's still in a coma, but we'll be back to check on her in about an hour" the nurse says as she sets up Alyssa's I.V.

"Ok, thank you."

The nurses leave and I pull my chair up to the side of her bed.

*Alyssa's POV*

"Alyssa, I'm so sorry. I know why you left the party. Sam told me everything. This is all my fault" Jack whispers as he intertwines his hand with mine.

"I didn't know Leigh was going to be there. What you saw was not what it looked like. I was trying to get her to leave because I knew that if you saw her you would be upset, and that's the last thing I wanted. Nate was the one who called her. He thought we were over. He was just trying to be a good friend. I'm so, so, sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen" Jack says crying.

Jack lays his head on the bed.

"I'm so, so, so, so, so, sorry" Jack repeats softly.

*A few hours later*

"I'm sorry babe, I really am" Jack says.

"If you say you're sorry one more time, I'm going to have the nurse kick you out" I said quietly.

"Oh my god. I missed your voice" Jack says attacking my face with kisses.

Jack presses the nurse button. The nurse comes rushing in.

"You're awake! I'll go get the doctor" the nurse says.

"Alyssa! So good to see you awake! We thought for sure that'd you'd be in a coma for at least a week. Considering the trauma you've faced, it's a miracle that you are awake. You must've really been on God's good side" the doctor joked.

"I'll come back in and check on you in a few hours" the doctor says.

"Ok thank you!"

"Please tell me you don't think this is all your fault."

"It is all my fault. If you hadn't seen me with Leigh, you wouldn't have stormed out. You wouldn't have gotten in your car. You and Sam wouldn't have gotten into that accident, and you definitely wouldn't be here right now" Jack says standing up and backing up against the wall.

"Jack come here" I say, motioning for Jack to sit on the bed right next to me.

Jack sits on the bed and curls up next to me.

"Stop blaming yourself. I overreacted. I was drinking, and I shouldn't have left. Even though I was upset, I should've just walked away. This accident is not your fault and it's not mine or Sam's either. It's the truck driver's fault. So, unless you're the truck driver, I do not want to hear you say "I'm sorry" anymore, ok?"

"Ok" Jack says as he kisses my cheek.

"I wish I could hug you right now."

"Me too, but it's ok. I just want you to focus on getting better" Jack says.

"I love you" Jack says after a few seconds.

"I love you too, Jack."

"I missed you so much" I say running my hand through his hair.

"I missed you too, even though it's only been a few hours" Jack says looking up at me smiling.

Jack lays next to me while I sleep.

Cameron knocks on the door and then walks in.

"Hey, here's your stuff. How's Alyssa doing?" Cameron asks Jack.

Jack was sleeping.

"Hey Cam! I'm doing ok. Jack's sleeping. Do you know how Sam's doing?"

"Hey gorgeous" Sam says, wheeling himself into the room.

"Sammy! How are you?"

"I've been better. This wheelchair is pretty nice though" Sam says jokingly.

"Babe, Sammy and Cameron are here" I say to Jack as I rub his back, trying to wake him up.

Jack stretches and rubs his eyes.

"Oh shit, hey guys. Sorry I fell asleep. How are you doing Sam?" Jack says.

"I'm ok, just a little sore. Maybe this whole broken leg thing and being in a wheelchair will help me pick up some chicks" Sam says jokingly.

"When have you ever needed help picking up chicks?" Jack says jokingly.

"True...very true" Sam says.

"So when do you get to leave this place?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. Whenever the doctor decides to let me go. How about you, when do you get to leave?"

"Don't hate me, but I get to leave tomorrow" Sam says.

"That's it. I hate you" I say jokingly.

"Fuck, well I guess I'll just have to stay here with you then" Sam says.

"No way Sam. Go home and have fun, this place is depressing."

"Fine, but I'm still going to come visit you every single day" Sam says.

"Ugh, fiiiinnnnneeeee" I say smiling.

Sam gets up out of the wheelchair and hops onto the bed next to me and Jack.

"Hey guys, can I talk to Sam alone for a few minutes?" I ask.

"Sure babe, we'll be right outside" Jack says kissing my forehead.

Sam looks at me with a worried look on his face.

"What's on your mind gorgeous?" he asks nervously.

I wait a few seconds and then respond....