Chapter 44

*Alyssa's POV*

"Goodbye" Jack says as I close the door behind him.

I press my back up against the door and slowly slide down until I'm on the floor.

I can feel a lump in my throat as tears start to run down my face.

I hate crying. I'm so sick of crying, and I feel like lately that's all I've been doing is crying. I hate it.

I place my head in my hands as I continue to cry.

Sam comes hobbling down the stairs.

"Alyssa?"

"Yeah?"

"What's wrong?"

"Take a wild guess."

"Jack?"

"Yeah"

"Tell me everything" Sam says as he picks me up and carries me upstairs.

I can't even speak, I just keep crying. Sam pulls me close to his chest and I just cry.

"I hate seeing you like this" he says as he rubs my back.

"Sam...I..." I say barely getting the words out.

"I'm so sorry Alyssa, I should've never let you get involved with Jack. I knew this would happen, and I let it. It's all my fault."

"Sam, it's not your fault. Don't say that, ok? It's my fault, I should've never let myself fall for Jack."

"Don't say that princess...it's not your fault. You can't control who you have feelings for."

He kisses my forehead and then looks into my eyes. I feel like he's staring into my soul or something.

He places his hands on my face and leans in to kiss me, but he doesn't.

He just drops me down gently onto my bed.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I want to kiss you, but I'm just so mad at Jack right now, that's all I can think about."

"Sam, I don't want to talk about Jack right now, just kiss me."

Sam grabs my face and kisses me. He's such a good kisser. He continues to kiss me for a few seconds, and for those few seconds I forget about Jack.

Then I think about how just a few minutes before, Jack had kissed me.

I pull away and Sam looks confused.

"Everything ok?"

"No."

He wraps me in his arms.

"Tell me what happened."

"Jack said he still loved me, but he didn't want to be with me. He was protecting me by breaking up with me, according to him. I told him to leave, so he started walking to the door, and then all of a sudden he kissed me. I asked him why he did it, and he just said it was "goodbye"."

"I knew him coming over to talk to you was a bad idea."

"It's fine Sam."

"it's not though. I swear to God, next time I see him, I'm going to kick his ass."

"Sam, don't, ok? I don't want you to get hurt."

"Just promise me that you won't talk to Jack anymore."

"Ok, I promise."

"Good. You know I love you right?"

"I know Sammy, I love you too."

"When is the power going to come back on?"

"I don't know. I need to go get some pain medicine though, everything hurts right now."

"I'll go get it for you princess. Why don't you light some candles while I go get the pain medicine?"

"Ok, I only have like 3 up here, there's more in the cabinet under the sink. Will you grab them?"

"Sure. I'll be right back."

He kisses my forehead, hops off of the bed, and runs downstairs.

I grab the matches out of my nightstand and walk over to the candles I have in my room.

I light them and then spread them out throughout the room.

Sam comes running up the stairs with at least 6 candles in his hands, along with some Advil and a bottle of water.

"Oh my god! You carried all of that up here by yourself? Why didn't you call me for help?"

"I got it. It's all good."

He places all of the candles on the night stand, and we light them and spread them throughout the room.

He hands me the Advil and the bottle of water.

Sam and I crawl into bed at the same time.

The light from the candles make him look even sexier than he already is.

I begin to stare at the light from the flames that is flickering against the wall.

I saw Sam staring at me out of the corner of my eye.

"What?" I ask as I turn towards him.

"What? Oh...nothing, I just...you look really hot right now with the shadow from the flames on your face."

"Thanks, I guess" I say laughing.

"Like I really just want to kiss you right now" he blurts out.

"I mean...shit. Did I just say that out loud?"

"Yeah, you did."

"Oh god."

"It's ok, I was kind of thinking the same thing."

He immediately grabs me and gently kisses me.

This was the longest kiss Sam and I ever shared.

I had butterflies in my stomach the entire time.

We stop kissing after a few minutes and we both crawl under the covers.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"How can you be so innocent, cute, and sexy as hell, all at the same time?"

"Sam!" I say nudging his shoulder with mine.

"What? It's a pretty legit question" he says laughing.

"You're such a dork."

"I know" he says smiling.

He wraps his arms around my waist, and I fall asleep in his arms.