Chapter 35

I roll over and see Jack sitting in the chair next to me.

"Hey gorgeous, how're you feeling?"

"I feel like shit."

"I wish I could help."

"It's ok. How's Sam doing?"

"He's doing really good. They're actually getting ready to release him soon."

"That's good. I hope I get to leave soon. I just want to be back at my house, in my own bed, with my handsome boyfriend."

"Yeah, about that..."

"About what?"

"The whole boyfriend thing..."

"Jack, what's wrong? I thought we were ok?"

"We are....we were, but I just don't know if this is a good idea. I was thinking about what you said the night of the accident and I can't get it out of my head. I'm not good for you."

"Jack don't say that. I thought we worked everything out. I don't get where this is coming from."

"I just don't think us together is a good idea. I'm sorry."

"Jack don't do this. Whatever I said before the accident, I didn't mean it. I love you Jack, I don't get why you're freaking out right now."

I start crying. Why is he doing this? Is there someone else? Was this all just some sort of game?

"Alyssa, I love you, and I'm doing this to protect you. Please don't make this harder than it already is."

"I'm making this harder? Jack are you serious right now? Please tell me this is just some kind of sick joke."

"Alyssa, I'm not joking. We can't be together. I'm not good for you. Look what happened."

"Jack this accident was not your fault. Please don't do this."

"I'm sorry. I should just go" Jack says getting up.

"Jack wait, please. Just think about this, ok?"

"I have thought about it, and this is the best solution."

"I think you're wrong Jack. You're making a terrible mistake."

"Alyssa, I'm only doing what's best for you."

"Since when do you get to decide what's best for me?"

"I'm just going to go."

Jack kisses my forehead and then walks out.

What the hell was that for? I don't get it. Did I say something wrong?

Tears are still streaming down my face.

The nurse comes in to check on me.

"Hi Alyssa, how are y-. Oh sweetie, what's wrong?"

"Did you talk to Jack at all today?"

"Yes, but only for a few seconds. What happened?" the nurse asks sitting in the chair next to me.

"I think he just broke up with me."

"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Can you just get my friend Sam and ask him to come here?"

"Of course. I'll be right back."

"Thank you."

I sit there and wipe my eyes as I wait for Sam.

Sam comes in two minutes later.

"Hello beautiful."

"Hi Sam."

"The nurse said you asked for me, what's up?"

"Sam I-" I start to say.

I start crying again and I can't stop.

Sam throws his crutches down and hops over to my bed.

He sits next to me and wraps his arms around me.

"Alyssa what's wrong?"

"Jack- it's Jack" I say barely getting the words out.

"What about Jack?"

"He...broke up with me."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. He just kept talking about the accident. He thinks it's his fault and I tried to tell him it wasn't, but he just wouldn't listen to me. I don't know what happened Sam. Do you know what happened to make him say that?"

"No, he hasn't talked to me at all today, but I'm going to kill him when I see him."

"No Sam, please don't. I don't want you to get into any more fights with him."

"Ok fine, but I can't believe he did that to you. You told him you loved him and this is how he treats you? I'm so mad right now. Oh my god he pisses me off. How could he do this to you? He's unbelievable. You're lying in a fucking hospital bed and he breaks up with you. What a douche bag. Alyssa I'm so sorry."

"Sam, I know you were supposed to go home, but can you just stay here with me? I don't want to be alone right now."

"Of course I'll stay with you. Let me just go finish up my release papers and then I'll be back."

"Ok."

Sam picks up his crutches and hops out.

He walks back in with the doctor a few minutes later.

"Hi Alyssa, how're you feeling today?"

"I'm ok. I'm just really sore."

"Yeah you probably will be for a while. Sammy here said that he promises he will take care of you if I let you go home tomorrow. So, you can go home tomorrow, but you'll be on bed rest until you heal completely, which might not be for a few weeks."

"Really? That's great news. No offense, but I really don't like it here."

"None taken sweetheart. The only people that like it here are the people who work here, and sometimes they don't even like it."

"Well, thank you so much doctor."

"You're welcome sweetie. I do have one condition though, if you are in any pain at all I want you to come back here immediately, ok?"

"Ok."

"Alright, you two take care!"

"Thanks, you too."

The doctor walks out leaving Sam and I alone again.

"I'm really sorry about Jack."

"Let's not talk about him, ok?"

"Ok, how about we watch a movie?"

"Sounds good. You pick."

"Let's watch a scary movie."

"Ok."

Sam pushes the button on the remote and orders Annabelle.

He hops over to the light switch and turns off the lights. Then he hops back over to the bed and curls up next to me.