Chapter 17

Jess and I pull up to Sam's house. We walk in and it smells like weed and alcohol mixed with a hint of sweaty teens.

"HEY! MY TWO FAVORITE GIRLS! GLAD YOU COULD MAKE IT!" Sam yells over the music.

"HEY SAMMY" I say wrapping my arms around him.

I see Jack staring at us out of the corner of my eye.

"LET'S GO DOWNSTAIRS! THE REST OF THE GUYS ARE DOWN THERE, AND IT'S NOT AS LOUD!"

"OK" Jess says.

Sam grabs Jess' hand and my hand and we head downstairs.

"Wassup ladies!" Johnson says.

He grabs Jess and brings her over to a group of his friends.

Sam grabs me and leads me to where Nate is standing.

"Hello beautiful" Nate says hugging me.

"Hi!"

"You look gorgeous tonight" Jack whispers into my ear.

I jump and my heart starts to rapidly beat. It feels like it's going to leap out of my chest.

"Oh my god Jack! Don't do that! You scared the hell out of me!" I say laughing.

"Sorry."

"It's fine."

"Hey I'm going to go grab us some drinks" Sam says.

"I'll come with you" I said.

"Actually, can we talk?" Jack asks.

"Uh, yeah sure."

"Ok, well, I leave you two alone. I'll come back later" Sam says.

"Let's go outside, it's not as loud, and it doesn't smell as bad" Jack says grabbing my hand.

He leads me upstairs and we walk outside.

"Listen, before you say-"

Jack cuts me off by crashing his lips onto mine. God I've missed this. I really like this guy.

"Sorry, I just really wanted to kiss you."

"Look Jack, I like you, ok? But I hate the way you make me feel. I mean, I don't hate it, it just scares me. I've never felt this way about a guy before, and I'm terrified. I'm sorry but I just don't think I can be with you. I don't think I'd be able to trust myself around you. I just don't really know what I want right now. I do want to apologize for the way I acted on our first date. I just kind of freaked out. I'm sorry."

"What? You're joking right? That's like the worst excuse I've ever heard. You don't think I'm scared? I didn't want to screw up what we have. You drive me crazy, and not always in a good way. I really like you, ok? I want us to work. I've never felt this way about a girl before."

"Jack, I'm sorry but I just don't think it's a good idea."

"Is it because of Sam? Are you two together?"

"No, Sam's just a friend."

"Well I don't think Sam knows that he's just a friend."

"What are you talking about?"

"He's totally flirting with you."

"No he's not."

"Alyssa, he's definitely flirting with you. Sam's one of my best friends, I've been around him long enough to know when he's flirting with a girl."