𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 6: 𝓟𝓸𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓡𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓬 𝓛𝓮𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼

July 18, 1964

Dear Journal,

It has been a long time since I've written to you. For the past few months, I have been very busy. First, I'm fourteen years old now, so that's a bonus! John Francis is growing fast, despite being only sixteen months old. Though I have yet to have been removed from the succession I know it will happen, and I've embraced the darkness. Besides, not being sovereign will take a huge burden off of my shoulders. I may even get to insert some normalcy into my often hectic life. As ridiculous as it sounds, I have always wanted to go on an adventure. Not like war, though war would be an adventure, like hiking through the jungles of the Amazon, or sailing the Pacific. Not being the heir to the throne would allow me to do these things without worry. Living without a care in the world sounds magical!

On other matters of business, my mother is still trying to find me a husband, which is displeasing. She even thought I was homosexual, which is absurd, so she introduced me to Duchess Alivia of Virginia. She was nice enough, but when she admitted she was a suitor, I was bloody livid. I cannot believe my mother cannot understand that I'm fourteen, I don't want to marry. 

I also don't know why she thought I was a homosexual it is banned across the world after all. 

My father is even starting to see the ridiculousness of her pursuit. She's become very paranoid and fearful of me. Why? I can't say. Does she think I might try to usurp the throne from her? It wouldn't make sense as I would not have the support to even consider it. I mean, I'm fourteen for god's sake, what on Earth could I do to threaten her power?

I glanced up at the clock on the wall above my desk.

I will write some more soon, I have to get to dinner.

I shut the book and put the quill back in the pot. I stood up and straightened my dress out before heading towards my door. That's when I saw it near my door. A letter, and an envelope. I picked it up and read the inscription on the front.

For the most beautiful princess in the world...

My heart swelled. It was from Sato. We had been exchanging romantic letters for over a year now and they tugged at my heartstrings. I loved reading Sato's letters, and I loved writing back to him. Of course, our little love affair was a complete secret from our parents and our courts. If they found out I was exchanging love letters with the Crown Prince of Japan, I'd be crucified.

Asians are not exactly the friends of Americans. Diplomatically Japan and America are close, but in reality, it is an ethnically strained alliance, with both parties feeling superior to the other. Japan is also eyeing up American colonies in the Pacific, which my mother has slowly begun the process of withdrawing from. I would not be surprised if the IJN and IJA would pounce on those lands the second we leave. If I was the Empress this would never happen. Unfortunately, I will never get to fix the issue...

Wait... wait I've got it! I've figured it out! My mother is putting all of these policies in place that she'll know I hate and actively oppose, yet John Francis will succeed her, not me. Thus her policies remain forever.

Ugh... well... let me read this letter, I will reply to it later tonight.

Dearest Josephine,

Oh, how I yearn to see you again... My English lessons are going better, so perhaps the next time I see you I will be able to hold a full conversation. I wish to see your chocolate brown eyes, as they stand out in a room of five hundred people. There is a ball in Athens in two weeks and I hope you can join me there. It would be the best night of my life if you went. I know your parents may not be willing to let you go but please, please ask them. 

Forevermore, 

Sato

Inside the letter was an official invitation to the ball Sato described. A ball in Athens? I will definitely have to ask them... with them, it could be fifty-fifty whether they let me go or not. Well, it is time to go to dinner and face the music. I laid Sato's letter on the nightstand, as well as the ball invitation. I then walked out of the door, leaving my bedroom and heading down the hall towards the grand staircase. As I arrived at the staircase I ran into Conroy.

"Conroy!" I said almost in surprise as we literally walked into each other.

"I am terribly sorry your highness!" he said in shock as well.

"It is no problem, really, I was just heading down to dinner,"

He nodded.

"That's precisely what I was coming up to do, right this way,"

I'll be honest, I never really knew why he spoke so formally to me. I guess there's a strict guideline for your relationship with your bodyguard and vice versa. Conroy led me down several flights of stairs that I knew very well until we entered the dining hall. My father was setting my brother's seat up while my mother held him. The rest of the table was ready and a vast array of dishes awaited us. Pork, steak, potatoes, carrots, the list could go on and on.

"Good evening Josephine," My father called out as he finished John Francis's preparations.

"Good evening father," I replied, "Mother," I nodded to her.

She nodded back before resuming her full attention to my brother. The brother which she clearly loved more than me... oh goodness stop being so petty!

"Tonight's dinner looks lovely," I added.

"Well... It isn't going to eat itself!" he joked as we sat at our respective parts of the royal table.

My mother sat John Francis in his seat between her and my father. Chefs and servants brought out drinks galore and we said a prayer together. We are Protestant after all.

"The eyes of all look to You , O Lord, and You give them their food at the proper time. You open Your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." My father's voice boomed,

"Then shall be said the Lord's Prayer and the following: Lord God, heavenly Father, bless us and these Your gifts which we receive from Your bountiful goodness, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

I picked up a slice of pork with my fork and bit into it. Oh dear, it is quite bland. 

"Mother, could you please pass the salt?"

"Of course Josephine," She replied and passed it along until it was in my hand.

I dusted the salt crystals on my meat lightly before putting the shaker back on the marble table. I noticed my mother watching me with an increased perverse expression, which was worrisome. I ignored it as I took another bite, but the taste was worse, like bitter almonds. How weird. I swallowed it roughly, and took another bite but suddenly my head, sinuses erupted in pain. I grasped my head.

"Ahh... what in God's name?..."

"Are you alright Josephine?" My father asked.

"Yes of course,"

I took another bite but now it got worse. Okay Josephine, stop eating this. Something is wrong. My heart pounded in my chest as I became dizzy and short of breath.

"Father, something's wrong-"

Then everything went black.