𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 85: 𝓜𝔂 𝓓𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓮𝓻'𝓼 𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓪𝓵

April 22, 1984

I breathed in the fresh air as I read a book in one of the palace gardens. It was a lovely sunny day, as spring was in full bloom. Cherry blossoms grew and flourished, butterflies and honeybees flew about in the garden giving off a flowery scent that added to the relaxing vibe here.

After the insurgency, I had made more trips out here to get out of the palace. It was difficult eating in the dining room. I think we all had nightmares.

We had our own nightmare that remained. Josephine Junior was paralyzed, and though she had adjusted quickly to using a wheelchair, I don't think I did, nor did Mattéo. It was hard to comprehend that our three-year-old daughter was never going to walk again, nor would she be able to have children of her own. That led me to declare Ham as the official heir to the throne. I even noticed he was different. He was quieter, more resolute and didn't seem interested in being around us. But I let it slide, we had all suffered trauma from that night and we were all handling it differently.

Victoria seemed to be doing the best. After Ali Reza survived, they have become even closer, more romantic. Good for her... she really does deserve that. Mattéo and I were... struggling... but that was normal. We felt incredibly guilty for letting all that happen, we blame ourselves for Junior's paralysis.

As we should. Well, at least I should... I created those enemies... I should have restrained them... kept them at bay.

The cost was even more than we thought. 250 rebels were killed, out of 5000 total. 300 further were executed for treason at my behest. 76 out of the 100 palace guards had been slain, defending the palace, and us, to their death. 14 imperial soldiers were also killed, and 3 brave New York Police Department officers also layed down their lives. 

The funerals lasted two weeks. 

But despite all that bloodshed, our lives were bloodied and battered. Junior is so sweet... so innocent... she didn't deserve what happened to her.

I sighed and looked out over the garden. I relaxed and pushed away from the horrendous, tormentous thoughts. I was determined to move on and I knew I would. I had moved on after Vittorio and the Canadians, and I knew I would move on past this. It might take time, but it will happen. I just needed to work past my guilt and then I'd continue to live my life.

"Your majesty?" A voice said from behind me.

"Yes?"

"I present to you the Shah of Persia,"

Ali-Reza is here? That's a surprise. Usually, he informs me that he is visiting. Clearly, that means he wants this under wraps.

"Greetings Ali-Reza," I said as he stepped in front of me.

"Greetings majesty, I have come to discuss a matter of great importance,"

"I have assumed that because you have not informed me that you were visiting... sit, please," I replied as I patted the bench next to me.

Ali-Reza sat next to me and was silent for a moment, as we both listened to the birds chirping in some of the fruit trees that had been growing for some years now. He spoke, and when he did I tried to restrain myself.

"Majesty, I wish to propose to Victoria,"

"...Mmm... I see..."

I knew this would happen one day, and judging by how far Victoria and Ali-Reza had come since they met over three years ago.

"Majesty, I love Victoria with every ounce of my heart... I want to be with her... I think I am finally ready to take this leap and propose to her, but, of course, I need your blessing. A blessing that will tell us that you support us..."