𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 53: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓵 𝓢𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓐𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓘𝓘

July 10, 1976

Royal Courthouse, New York, First American Empire

Dear Journal,

I am feeling a whole lot of emotions. Heartbroken. Furious. Confused. I had always worried about Vittorio being unfaithful, during the war when I wouldn't see him for months. When our relationship was on the rocks, after West Point, when I tried to divorce him when... when the baby died. I guess all my paranoia had warned me... but I was too in love to see it, or at least I thought I was.

Vittorio was going to be tried in the Imperial Tribunal, a special court for noble traitors. It hasn't been used since 1796, almost two centuries ago. The Italian court had issued a statement that the Tribunal had the right to persecute Vittorio, except for the death sentence, which was what much of the American court wanted. I wasn't sure what I wanted. I wanted revenge, he betrayed me on the highest level, but at the same time, it isn't right to kill him.

But the American court isn't the only one who wants Vittorio dead. When the people heard about this in newspapers and such total chaos ensued. They are in the streets, calling for justice for me. I don't know what to do, but I know that I will be attending his court session, as I am a... witness.

The Tribunal whenever it's summoned is not like a normal court. There are not separate days for opening statements, hearings, and sentencing. It's all gotten over within one day. So this was going to be a long day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With guards by my side, I entered the Tribunal court hall. Having never been there, it was quite beautiful. But at the same time, I had hoped to never be here. The past two years have been nightmarish for me, one catastrophe after another. First the war, then the child... then this. It was like the world was out to get me. Maybe God was punishing me for something? But what could I have done to possibly deserve this!?

Rome? That would be the only valid action.

"Your majesty, the Tribunal is ready for your arrival," One of the guards said.

"Oh, yes, of course,"

I tried to recompose myself as the doors opened. The courtroom was silent as my shoes clicked in sync with the guard's heavy boots. I did have a lawyer, though I doubted I would need one personally. He was there to argue my side. Vittorio's lawyer was there just to get a paycheck, he didn't actually support Vittorio, an understandable position.

"Order in the court! All preside for Judge George Seymour Hartwell!"

The judge entered the courtroom and sat on the bench.

"All may sit, this is the criminal case of King Vittorio of Italy versus Empress Josephine of America, attorneys I ask are you ready to proceed?"

"Yes your honor," Both lawyers said simultaneously.

"Mr. Millford, will you please swear in the jury?"

The Bailiff stood up in front of the jury.

"Please raise your right hand,"

All the jurors did as the Bailiff said.

"Please raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will truly listen to this case and render a true verdict and a fair sentence as to this defendant?"

There was some hesitation, which was not good.

"I do," They all said simultaneously.

I did not want the world to think this was a biased court session. That is why we brought in Italian jurors to help even things out.